.25 cal JSB Kings vs. Air Arms 25.4 grain pellets

@sonny, thanks. I'll eventually end up doing that. As you can read from my OP above, I just bought four tins of AA pellets. I'll shoot some 50 yard groups in the next month or so, after EBR. They'll be shot in no wind condition in the tunnel at my shooting club, from my .25 EDgun R5M Matador. I can also send 50 or so AA pellets to @anthonyramos so he can also shoot some groups in his .25 Cricket and report back.

My JSB's have have a thicker skirt and a deeper cavity in the rear. The AA JSB's have a thinner skirt and a much shallower cavity in the rear more reminiscent of the JSB King Heavies. The thinner skirt AA JSB's are much more sensitive to damage from shipping than the thicker skirt JSB Kings.

Having said all this I prefer the AA JSB's and initially switched to them out of desperation in the great King Heavy shortage last year.

@sonny, thanks. I'll eventually end up doing that. As you can read from my OP above, I just bought four tins of AA pellets. I'll shoot some 50 yard groups in the next month or so, after EBR. They'll be shot in no wind condition in the tunnel at my shooting club, from my .25 EDgun R5M Matador. I can also send 50 or so AA pellets to @anthonyramos so he can also shoot some groups in his .25 Cricket and report back.

That’s sounds like a plan. Let me know and I’ll send over my address 

Sure. After EBR. PM me your address and I’ll send some next week, but I won’t be doing any testing till I get back to SD from AZ. Just shoot four 5 shot groups with each brand at 50 yards on the same target. No editing or cherry picking. Put a dime or penny next to each grouop for reference and label the groups. I’ll do the same. We need to get an FX ST and STX barrel in on the comparison also. Mark average velocity of your shots.

IMO they are just rebadged JSBs. It doesn't make sense that JSB would make a superior product to sell to another company to sell for a cheaper price than their own branded product. Lately, there has been a big variation in quality in different batches of their home branded stuff so I expect to see the same thing in the many other brands that use JSB to supply them. I recently posted some results in this forum on my own experiences with the .22 18.13 grainers. JSB makes pellets for Daystate, FX, AA, Cometa and a hand full of other companies. Do you think that they use different dies for each one? Anybody that orders enough stock in bulk can put whatever label they like on the tins. In my case, the Cometa's are shooting much better than the last batch of red tin Jumbo Heavies which have under-size heads.
1538630154_6618029885bb5a20ac7de64.92417326_JSB 10 shot groups.jpg
 These 10 shot groups were shot at 30 yards indoors with my BSA Buccaneer.

Eaglebeak --=--

If they are from the same dies, then why is there a difference in your groups? Nice grouping with the Cometa by the way. Wouldn't it make sense that they are in fact dies and alloys from 'other' brands?

I believe that they are using multiple dies in each size and over time they ware causing variations and the new ones are not exactly the same as the ones that are being replaced. I knew for sure that this tin from a new shipment was different from the second shot in that wild group. Without testing anymore, I rang the importer to see what was going on. He is an FX dealer and he said that I was the first to complain. I have been using JSB and Cometa pellets exclusively in this rifle for three years because it shoots like those examples in the photo. The gun doesn't much like anything else. The supplier suggested to try them in something else and if they were no better to send them back. I tried them in my Walther MaximaThor and they shot OK about 1/2 inch at the same distance, nothing special but acceptable. I measured the heads with a Micrometer and they measured 5.48. They are supposed to be 5.52. What I'm trying to say is that there is as much variation in the red tin stuff as there will be between the red tin and the rebadged stuff. People who think that the AA or FX branded pellets are made using special dies or alloys, are deluding themselves. It just doesn't make economic sense.

If the Air Arms dies are better, Why wouldn't JSB have their dies made by the same people. Sorry, I still don't buy it. The only thing that I know for sure is the last batch of 18 grain Jumbo Heavies, shoot like poop in my BSA barrel when normally anything JSB goes through the same hole But they still shoot OK in my Lothar Walther barrel. For the time being, I will be using the Cometa branded version. Perhaps they are buying them from Air Arms and sticking their label on them. Yeah right.

Seems as though either the 22 Heavies JSB dies are wearing out from overproduction without maintenance or die replacements or once again did a subtle change to the design. Money seems to be more important than quality control and customer satisfaction these days.

They probably wouldn't care about their millions of customers because most won't grumble and who believe it or not aren't as critical to accuracy as a only a few of us are. The average Joe would probably be content with an inch to half dollar coin size at 50 even though his rifle is capable of 1/4" groups. Those days of just being able to shoot accurately straight out of the tin are long gone. Sure hope JSB won't end up going the same route as Crosman. The bad JSBs can't even compare to the good ones even after sizing and weighing them. You could still shoot them in lower powered guns at close distances or use those reject bad batch to season your barrel after cleaning or for chrony check.

My 25 Edgun long prefers the AA labeled version sub moa at 100 while the JSB a little larger even after weighing and sizing.

Having bad experiences with JSBs, I switched to AA labeled variants and they seem to be fine so far knock on wood.

Someone should ask TED to try shooting a new tin of JSBs straight out of the tin at 100 but someone neutral and trustworthy needs to be there to witness it... AND MOST IMPORTANTLY hand him the new unopened sealed tin purchased from a random source only known to the witness for TED to open then shoot.

CA