• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

230 yards..Not Good, but not bad.....

The winds finally died and I was shooting 38.5 gr NSA's at 100 and getting real decent groups. The sun was almost down and I got a wild hair to try a target at 230 yards. Been waiting all week for the winds to calm down.

Normally I can get out to about 165y, then the land drops off into a ravine and comes back up at past 200 on the other side. I set the target as close as I could and still see it which was 230.

When I got back to the gun I was bummed to see that the target bull was cut in half by the horizon; in fact, the grass was sticking up into the bull. But I was losing light so I took a chance and figured the grass was at 165y and the slug, in it's arc, would clear the grass and drop down to the target, 65 y further down range. But, I forgot that the target was significantly lower than the gun, so slope angle came into play. The first three shots were high, so I readjusted and got off a 5-shot target before I lost the light. On top of things, light winds right to left, started to pick up which is odd as they usually die around sunset..... but of course.... I was shooting so.....Murphy's law.

Anyway, could be A LOT better but I can brag that I hit the bulls-eye at 230y, on my first try ...LOL.

Target 230 y20210415_19385569 - Copy.1618531777.jpg

BTW, I am learning that grip is is a huge factor at this range. Very light grip.

Thanks Centercut ...yeah each square an inch.

I had hoped the 43.5’s would be as good but I’m using the Superior Heavy Liner. 38.5 are doing well in this liner. Sub MOA at 100... consistently. You’re using the Slug Liner A, correct? Those 43.5’s seem to really be working well for you with that liner. And at lower velocities. 

Yes, Slug A liner at 885 to 890 with the NSA 43.5. They’re so good I don’t really want to try anything else. No benefit. And 890 is fast enough. I heard from @stoti that the Slug A also really likes the new 38.9 NSA dish base. But hey, if it’s not broke don’t fix it.

I’ve gotten away from groups. I’ll do it every now and then for sighting in, testing, and whatnot but it doesn’t do much for my shooting skills. I try to shoot actual targets when I’m not hunting (which I like the best). Once you get those groups as tight as you think it’s gonna get move up to shooting targets. The EBR targets I posted last Summer would be a good start. It’s fun! And it’ll make you a better shooter...

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it ... no truer words. 
I have a Slug A and it’s tempting to try it w the dish based but it has taken me so long to get to this point I think I’ll stay here a while. 
I’m shooting sub-MOA at 100 w these 38.5’s

But as I say that I too am slowly getting away from groups, but I did want to see the pattern at 230 

I’ve been fashioning targets out of plasticine clay for a while now. The stuff never dries out. And sometimes they take the shape of squirrels and such. Had one clay squirrel I’d shoot then I’d patch him up so I nicknamed him “Patches.” Sick, yes I know, but great fun and it does make you shoot better. 
I had another post where I got out to 160 and hit a small, maybe 5” clay figure. 
0C19F56E-4F21-4AB4-9190-C5FBB1A796DE.1618576537.jpeg

So this distance shooting has ramped things up and put some new excitement into the sport 

Sounds like fun....but it might be a while....North Carolina is trying to be the new Arizona, with winds. Never seen so much high wind before. 

FYI when I shot at 160, I put a paper down below on the box with a small 1/4 circle to check POI. Both windage and elevation needed some tweeking but I managed to put the last shot in the 1/4 circle. Hope the gun doesn't change between now and when I can try this challenge. But we all know about that.....

Also here's a 100 yard target shot the same evening just before the 230 attempt. Really happy with this tune/slug combo right now.

Target 100 y_crop.1618585742.jpg

38.5gr NSA @ 100 y. This is my best target.

Target 100 y_crop 2.1618585963.jpg

.....and there's always that "one!"

Nice! I know how hard you've worked to get that Impact shooting the heavy slugs accurately. Feels good doesn't it? I'm at the point with mine that if I take a shot at a squirrel less than 150 yards I'm surprised when I miss... ;)

This was 5 shot at 102 yards right after I “found the magic” with the .25 Impact and 43.5 NSA slugs. Before Christmas. There’s always that one!!!

75296F2B-4337-4094-B82D-D3ABF36A2DA6.1618603127.jpeg

Yep, you should have seen the smile on my face when I hit two targets in two shots at 133 yards. I couldn’t believe it. Up to that point I was getting squat at 75-100 until I hit that right tune and scope. And a lot of guys including yourself helped me out. 
This forum is a great source of information and help. 
Nice groups w the 43.5’s. That slug A liner is something. 

Good fun read. You guys are inspirational (lol). I was "on fire" the other day at a local farm where I've been pesting and was stoked to have picked off a starling at 96 yards - my best yet on smaller birds. I was given 7 more opportunities at them from this same spot - all told I dropped 5, missed 3. Taipan Veteran (long) .22 w/jsb ko's. I'm learning from you guys and the guys on youtube . . . still got a LONG ways to go to be anywhere near as good as you guys are - but thats half the fun - trying / learning / tweaking / fine tuning. ( I've gotten woodchucks at 100+ yards several times - same gun, same ammo - but much larger target . . . )

Capture.1618609172.JPG