2240 DESTROYER

Hello all,

Would be my first air pistol in at least 55 years. Smitten, though knowing full well there are better choices that are easily obtainable. So what to do, wait for the magnum custom shop to find the time to build again? Think not because of the uncertainty in that and there’ll be improvements, which I wouldn’t want. Looking for the exact iteration shown on the site, Building myself or commissioning a copy not an option. The pouring of money strategy, on the builder or the airgun community in general fruitless so far. Am I attempting to use the wrong forum? Another one of my ridiculous early-onset ideas? Just wanting a quality used destroyer at this point

Appreciate any advice,

Scott

update: Received word from the builder to check back in a week or so. Encouraged to say the least!

Had to look it up to see what the destroyer version was all about. I could see maybe a few years ago that this 2240 would be attractive, but there are other options that are probably more easily accessible. What is your attraction to this particular model? Is it the 40 fpe? One single shot with a slower follow-up seems a bit lame right now. One person has tweaked their PP750 up to 31fpe. There's the HW44 the Ataman models up at the higher end. 

One full power shot really? That does not seem overly useful to me. But it still might be to someone else. I did a 9mm that had 40+ FPE @ 1200psi for several shots it was fun. Just have to pump up the pressure and put a couple of safety screws in it to make double that FPE. Built this 2250 carbine in the 9mm flavor and it does 100FPE with pellets or 150 FPE with arrows. It started out as a pistol so only gets three good shots due to the short tube. 

Build it yourself here is the recipe; shortened Discovery tube, big bore breech I used a DAQ but Baker sells one and sells a bulk fill fitting also, Cothran valve with a big port, I used a DAQ barrel but I expect somebody has a 30 or 35 caliber barrel or liner that will werq and then stir with a 2k fill and you are there.

Barrels are interchangeable 9mm or arrowgun.

.25 on top 9mm on bottom.

Check out this site -

cothranmachine.com

He sells everthing you need but the barrel and trigger group -

2250 length tubes work better imho but he has 2240, 2250,2260, and Discovery length tubes, plus he sell's his own valve(s), and his parts are THE BOMB -

Here's a pic of a build with some of his parts -

1585240866_16593276605e7cdb2209b898.70123127.jpg

I used a 2250 length Cothran tube for this carbine, but you can of course see how it could have easily been a pistol w/o the bottle and stock, and the addition of a 10" barrel, grips, etc. -

Don Cothran will also make you a custom length tube, this one was 14"

1585241006_10653785155e7cdbae807120.92924172.JPG

Hope this isn't breaking forum rules, just trying to help the op -

Wow! Appreciate all the replies! Good ideas and gorgeous guns. However, I am wanting a specific gun from this specific builder. Doesn’t really need to make perfect sense, the gun is just something I find particularly attractive at this time.

Scott

UPDATE: have heard from the builder. Will be something coming up shortly. Going to set one aside for me, and at the going rate too.