.22 Wildcat Probe

Hi All you .22 cal Wildcat shooters.

I have had the Wildcat for about 3 months now and really like it. But I have noticed something I think may not be correct and perhaps a cause of blowing out two breach O-ring within 1000 rounds. I am curious to see if anyone else has noticed the same or will check their rifles for the same. The probe appears to have some lateral movement prior to entering the breach. The probe actually touches the lower portion of the breach and ramps or glides up to and over the O-ring and then into the breach. You can see this when the magazine is removed. I have examined my friends .25 Wildcat and there is very little movement in his probe. I am wondering if FX makes the .22 cal using the .25 cal rifle and exchanges the probe and barrel for the .22 cal. Seeing that .25 -.22 = .03 and that is what appears to be the movement I have in the probe.

I first noticed this while tracking down a problem I was having with the bolt hanging while loading a pellet. I noticed a spot on the edge of one of the holes that hold the pellet in the magazine had a shiny spot and that might have been made from the bolt glancing off it. I haven’t determined if this is caused by the movement in the bolt or perhaps the bolt is not rotating the magazine enough to align the pellet hole for proper probe engagement.

Any help here will be appreciated - KZ

Gorgata - Thanks for the quick response. The probe is not bent. As mentioned, this is a .22 cal, there is some lateral movement, my buddy's .25 cal, like yours, doesn't have this movement.

Scott - is your rifle a .22 cal?
If I open the bolt, so it is out of the breach, say 1/8 inch, I can move the probe up and down a bit. I'm wondering if FX uses the .25 cal block for the .22 cal and they don't think the additional .03 clearance between the bolt and the block makes any difference. 

Hi Verve - Thanks for your response. Are you getting about .03 inches of movement? Without the magazine installed and when moving the bolt as when loading a pellet, does the probe ride up the lower portion of the breach and then ride up over the o-ring? Is there that much movement?

hsnmz - I don't have any air leaking from the breach area, even with the mag removed.