.22 vs .25

I know, another .22 vs .25 thread............ but what Im really looking for is specific to FX of similar platforms or at least of same barrel type such such as STX in the calibers and their respective weights for accuracy. However, also of interest is really any platform that has been compared across the calibers. Im not sure too many have all of these, but through various retrospective data input, may be able to extrapolate some findings of use. Im wondering consistency, not just the once in a lifetime group of 3 or 5 or even 10. I would like to hear about longer distance, eg >75yd. Even just anecdotal, eg "I have consistently found .22 JSB 18.13 to perform better than .22 JSB 25.39." As a researcher, I am very data driven in plausibility and predictability, however it is outcome data (performance) in the end that counts.

Advantage of .22, cheaper to shot. More quiet. More shot per fill. Way way way more pellet to choose from. You will find like over 100+ different types of .22 pellet, probably like maybe 15 different types for .25.

Advantage of .25, hits harder, more ft lb. Shot placement don't need to be dead on. If it hits, it's not getting back up. Buff the wind better.

It all comes down to what you plan to do. Both are equally accurate. I have both .22 and .25 and I do more shooting with my .22 cause it's cheaper. Usually comes in tin of 500, vs 300 for .25. also can walk into Walmart and get a tin of 500 crosman hollow points for $6. You will not find any .25 locally.

I like stretching out my 22 to 75 yd. However with the 18 grain JSB's the grouping is too large. I was contemplating using the 25 grain 22 caliber JSBs but they only come in a 150 per tin.

So I prefer the 25 grain JSB 25 caliber 350 per tin.

AEAC Demonstrates with Doppler radar that muzzle energy depreciates at target (eg 30 ft lbs at muzzle vs 18 ft lbs at target 22 cal).

Hence, 25 cal at muzzle 45 ft lbs and 30 ft lbs at target give or take a pound.

22 cal is a blast to shoot 18 gr with 500 ct tins, but the power whether plinking or hunting with 25 cal 25 gr is unquestionably pleasant (not to mention the thump it makes).

1553991360_2229173275ca006c0e71774.71214912_20190312_205037.jpg
1553991361_5302260485ca006c1b89105.11371125_20190311_202156.jpg

1553991306_8265783035ca0068a4ae164.67275171_20190313_232831.jpg

People don't want to believe, or it's just human nature to try FX and other premium guns are designed for JSB's At 75 yards and 30 FPE shooting 18 grains does a pass thru on a cottontail head. That same pellet shooting one inch lower will pass thru in back of the jaw and the rabbit scurries away from a 25 yard shot. Air gunners across the pond have many vids of 12 FPE guns shooting at 30 -40 yards with about 8 grains and dropping them with great consistency. When you move up in size and energy, the 34 grain shooting around the 60 FPE range is around twice the weight, and energy. This increased energy allows for a less than pin point accurate shot. 300 to 500 pellets per tin if daily target shooting is your main concern, the costs could sway your decision. If you limited out on small game for a month, you would still have pellets in your 300 tin. I've never had the accuracy with the 25 grain 22's, and have guns that shoot the 25 grain 25 cal very accuratly

I’ve just come to the realization that .22 works just as well as .25 for ground squirrels, my preferred targets. I have both in great platforms. While yes, the .25 has more power at the target but both tend to go straight through. The biggest factor would be wind deflection, which is true, but when it’s really windy, the squirrels can’t hear well and stay under. But in calmer days there is more than enough power out to around 150 yards. Plus I’ve found the .22 to be more air efficient. I get twice as many shots per fill and I can fill the 200bar gun almost to infinity until my tank needs to be taken back to the dive shop.

The ammo cost or units per tin is not a deciding factor for me, its still much less than centerfire rifle 😉 My only concern for energy, muzzle and terminal, is how it relates to accuracy of the projectile, in this case. I have more powerful .22 than FX, in both pellet and bullet airguns and reached 105fpe with my .22 AF. I too have found great results with smaller calibers and reduced power on critters as well, but this interest in targets 75yd and greater, hence the forum this is posted. However, most certainly long range airgun hunting also seeks accuracy so it is a good marker for the discussion.

The potential is that shooting JSB .22 25.39gr Jumbo Monster would be superior to .22 Exact Jumbo Heavy 18.13 AND .25 Exact King 25.39, and .25 Exact King Heavy 33.95 be the ultimate winner. This assumption is based on the projectile, but there is obviously more to it than just pellet design as you also need a platform that performs well with the projectile. So maybe the platforms had not caught up to the newer designs, even for example attempting to shoot slugs in otherwise pellet shooters takes some manipulation and in the case of FX, this could include the changing of the bore. My interest in FX is not because Im some FX groupie (although my Crown .30 was the easiest rifle to most accurately of any) but because of the ability to manipulate parameters, including changes to the bore (through caliber and liners) and whether someone has gone through some of this (controlling some of the variables).

After attending EBR last fall and seeing the fast .22 25gr coming out of the Daystate guns I began to get to work with my FX Impact .22. Today I did my first 100 yard shooting outside with 700mm barrel with STX liner. 50 yards was outstanding multiple groups under under .50 inch. 100 yards continues to be trouble. 2 shots into in the 10's and 8 shots no where close. While there was a good 8-10 mph wind but the shots didn't seem to matter. I currently have the gun shooting on an average of 890 FPS which is slower than the Daystate guys, but it is all I'm getting out of my system at the moment. Perhaps improvements in regulator and other parts can push the pellets into the upper 900'sand above to get a stable pellet out past 50 yards. Its also possible that the rifling distorted the pellets so much in the FX barrel it induces aerodynamic problems. I really want to find solutions to the .22 25gr as I would love to start FT and hunting with the .22.

Currently my older less updated .25 shoots much better than the .22, even in today's wind still holding 1.5 to 2.0 inch groups at 100 yards. So for me still looking for solutions for the .22 before I start to modify the .25 or consider going to the .30 cal.

After attending EBR last fall and seeing the fast .22 25gr coming out of the Daystate guns I began to get to work with my FX Impact .22. Today I did my first 100 yard shooting outside with 700mm barrel with STX liner. 50 yards was outstanding multiple groups under under .50 inch. 100 yards continues to be trouble. 2 shots into in the 10's and 8 shots no where close. While there was a good 8-10 mph wind but the shots didn't seem to matter. I currently have the gun shooting on an average of 890 FPS which is slower than the Daystate guys, but it is all I'm getting out of my system at the moment. Perhaps improvements in regulator and other parts can push the pellets into the upper 900'sand above to get a stable pellet out past 50 yards. Its also possible that the rifling distorted the pellets so much in the FX barrel it induces aerodynamic problems. I really want to find solutions to the .22 25gr as I would love to start FT and hunting with the .22.

Currently my older less updated .25 shoots much better than the .22, even in today's wind still holding 1.5 to 2.0 inch groups at 100 yards. So for me still looking for solutions for the .22 before I start to modify the .25 or consider going to the .30 cal.

This is what Im curious about. Likely these effects in Daystate's ability to shoot those have been existing or some developments have occurred. I know they also tend to decent with slugs in their existing barrels. Id be curious if the increase in velocity would change anything, you are certainly in the ball park already. By chance, have you attempted accuracy with them shooting slower?

Yes I have in both the 600mm X barrel and the 700mm STX, shooting the 25gr 22 cal. At speeds in the 850 to 860 FPS range I was again getting very good results in the 35 to 50 yard range past that when the lighting was right you could watch the pellet do a spiral roller coaster thing down range. At speeds in the 830 to 840 FPS range nothing was good, I would have been better off throwing the pellet down range. As a note to what has been done to the gun, it is bone stock minus the 700mm STX barrel, it is serial number 183335 so it does not have an AMP regulator. I really think this could be equivalent to the Red Wolf if I could get it to blast the pellet down range. I'm looking to make improvements but would looking to things that people have done and had success, in stead of chasing my tail and wrecking my gun.

This is interesting. I do hear quite a bit of people shooting the 25.39 redesigned monsters with great accuracy out to 50yds and past that they spiral and go crazy. Obviously daystate figured it out with there poly barrels and high speeds. Regarding FX I haven't heard many (any?) Who have had really good long range success with the 25.39gr JSBs. Now I could have missed them so maybe there out there. But there's no denying the fact that FX knows how to make an accurate .25 barrel shooting both the kings and king heavies. 

This is interesting. I do hear quite a bit of people shooting the 25.39 redesigned monsters with great accuracy out to 50yds and past that they spiral and go crazy. Obviously daystate figured it out with there poly barrels and high speeds. Regarding FX I haven't heard many (any?) Who have had really good long range success with the 25.39gr JSBs. Now I could have missed them so maybe there out there. But there's no denying the fact that FX knows how to make an accurate .25 barrel shooting both the kings and king heavies.

This is what Im really getting at. I think you and I have established our affinity for the .22, so I am preferring to be able to shoot the .22 25.39gr from an FX Dreamline due to its modular configuration and my tendency to change platforms. I may just go with .25 in hopes there will be a .22 barrel in the future........