22 vs 25.... 25 obsolete?

All this talk about calibers being obsolete and chasing BC reminds me of a similar conversation, albeit in the powder burner space.... 

Chasing speed, power and BC could land one in a very expensive place.

Here's my Cadex Tremor 50 BMG shooting Hornady's 750gr AMAX at 2800fps with a BC of 1.05(not a typo).

Windage adjustments? Pfft, what wind... :)

CDX-50-3.1607976325.jpg

All this talk about calibers being obsolete and chasing BC reminds me of a similar conversation, albeit in the powder burner space.... 

Chasing speed, power and BC could land one in a very expensive place.

Here's my Cadex Tremor 50 BMG shooting Hornady's 750gr AMAX at 2800fps with a BC of 1.05(not a typo).

Windage adjustments? Pfft, what wind... :)

CDX-50-3.1607976325.jpg

Sweet Tremor...!!!

Gimme the .25. I love the Heavies. Too much wind drift in my neck of the woods for the .22s. I also need the .25 knock down power because I believe in humane kills. 

Slugs? Yes, i like the .22 KOs in one of my guns but they foul up the barrel PDQ. A lot of lead dust too.

.30 ? Overkill for me personally. Not many PCPs have a stressless shot cycle with them as far as I am aware. I wonder how much wear and tear such heavy discharge inflicts on the internals. Would be very interested in @Motorhead's views on that.

🐦

I tend to look at it this way...

inside 45 yds .22 cal

45 yds to 75 yds .25 cal

beyond 75 yds .30 cal

BTW you forgot .177 for feathers under 50 yards or small critters under 30 yards.....then the .177 slugs changes things up again! 

Things get a lot muddier once you add slugs.......It's pretty hard to beat .25 pellets AND slugs BC with any other caliber, .25 slugs can go pass 150 yards pretty easy but there are definitely a lot of over lap with .22 heavy slugs. 

True, my one 25 cal is a Taipan Vet Compact, which is a tack driver and for its size and amount of noise produced hits like a freight train on target.

I tested the Taipan with just using the adjustment screw for the hammer spring and I can go from sub 12 ft/lbs to over 40 ft.lbs in seconds using the 25.54 JSB King Heavies.

Ditto on freight train with my Taipan VL.25 as well.

Thanks for pointing out that it can adjusted down so far. I've never adjusted it way down and should for backyard plinking, duh.

@Rbd2, I am glad you do. I was out for a hike yesterday and it got me thinking. I have seriously considered a .25 cal barrel for my Leshiy 2, currently .177.

However, I already have the Taipan Vet Compact in .25, so it might make more sense economically to go with .22 cal in the L2. I only need barrel and magazines, without a whole new shroud, saves $100/€100 in my case. 

Plus the Taipan has one advantage over the Leshiy 2, hands down, I can adjust the power in seconds, which opens up its versatility and plus without a doubt far quieter than the Leshiy 2. With the current moderators I already have.

If you look through JSB's BC chart shot in their own tunnel, the highest BC for PELLET they have is for the 25 King Heavy, by a good margin. Second and third are very close to each other with the King Heavy Mk2 and 22 MRD. 30 is not even close.

Bob

Bob,

I'd love to see that BC chart made by JSB.... 😊

Sure couldn't find it on their webpage. H&N publishes their BC numbers.

Matthias 

Cool, thanks, CCut! 😊 👍🏼 Very interesting, very helpful. 👍🏼

❔ So, are these like "JSB internal factory numbers" — or how are we to understand this list?

I'm somewhat surprised to see their using the G1 instead of the GA drag coefficient. 🤔

Seems like a good choice to use RA4 (.22 LR) for the slugs.

I'm confused that the .177 Polymag Short would have a whopping BC of 0.022 — and the Polymag Regular only 0.016 (with weight and velocity the same...). 🤔

Or that the lighter .22 Monster Redesigned would have a BC of 0.053 — with the much much heavier Beast only 0.050. 🤔

I'm just trying to understand.

➔ Maybe we could open this discussion as a separate thread?

Thanks again, CCut! 👍🏼

Matthias