.22 Veteran with CZ barrel

I've been wanting to put a pic rail on the forearn on the Vet for awhile. Finally got to it this week and had a chance today to see how the gun shoots off a bipod. 

.22 Veteran Short, single loaded. JSB 13.43gr, straight from the tin (no sorting, washing, lubing) going about 815fps for roughly 20fpe. 

10 shot groups from 54 yards. All 20 shots sequentially shot, no unshown sighters were taken during the 20 shots. 

1579402151_13665503025e23c3a747a727.87341993_IMG_20200118_191304.jpg
1579402151_19401520765e23c3a7b17080.92913853_IMG_20200118_191255.jpg

Had about 3-5mph wind today. 

I didn't actually have to try very hard to get these groups, the gun just shoots well. Also, it's probably been 4 or 5 tins of pellets since I last cleaned the barrel. 

This gun is bone stock too. I hadnt ever even had it out of the stock until this week when I put the rail on. Have not needed to adjust the trigger, do any barrel polishing, or regulator adjusting. Nothing, except for hammer spring adjustments. 

Got me to wondering if I could be happy with a .177 Veteran as my only PCP. I'm kinda thinking I could, as it'd do 20fpe for field target and could be turned up to shoot the 13 or 16gr JSB for critter getting. 

Vets are pretty sweet guns. 

I love my Taipans too. Those are some awesome 10 shot groups! I've bought quite a few guns over the years. Some have come and some have gone. I also find myself with time being a precious commodity and so when I can find time to shoot, I pick up one of my Taipans and they are always without fail super accurate with very little effort. The Taipans always find room in my arsenal. They just shoot and at the end of the day they shoot great with no fuss. I love that about a gun you can always depend on to be a great shooter.

RJ

If you are looking for a 177 standard Vet I have one being delivered brand new from Airgun Heaven in the Netherlands Monday. This rifle has-been stuck in customs for the past 2 months but is brand new with the gray laminate stock. I will have pics Monday morning if you are looking for this unicorn. 

Nice shooting btw....I also have a Vet shorty with a cz barrel in .22 and a standard in .177 and both are fantastic. The .177 will get 120 shots at 20ft lbs....over 200 at 12ft lbs and will shoot up to 26 ft lbs. Shooting bench rest cards at 25 yards I average about a 244 score with the 177. 

1579406886_12984556845e23d62631c3a7.35326075_IMG_20200108_131046_068.jpg
1579406918_2274617475e23d646692344.36245084_IMG_20191220_104243539.jpg

That’s very very good shooting. Taipans are just fantastic guns. I’m confused though, is it a .22 or .177 as you mentioned both. Or you own both? 

If they made it into a Semi-Bullpup I would be in hog heaven.

Sorry for the confusion. I only own a .22 Short. It's just so good that it makes me wonder if a .177 Standard could be the perfect jack of all trades PCP, is what I was trying to say. 

Did you put CZ barrel, because OEM is LW ?

They used to come with CZ barrels as standard, back when the only places selling them were R&L out of Colorado and Talontunes. They were also only $1250 shipped then. Gives us a good idea of markup now that Utah airguns is selling them. Mine was made in Ukraine. Now I think they're coming from Czech Republic and have LW barrels only. 

Did you put CZ barrel, because OEM is LW ?

They used to come with CZ barrels as standard, back when the only places selling them were R&L out of Colorado and Talontunes. They were also only $1250 shipped then. Gives us a good idea of markup now that Utah airguns is selling them. Mine was made in Ukraine. Now I think they're coming from Czech Republic and have LW barrels only.

They had LW from the beggining, CZ and Ucraine is for the export taxes

Franklink - very nice shooting with a super light .22 pellet out to 50 yards. I didn't think those light .22s would shoot so precise without being impacted by wind drift.

Thank you. Yes the wind does get ahold of the light pellets. I was holding off to the left a little to account for the 3-5mph winds that day, maybe 1/2-1 inch upwind to get the pellets where I wanted them. Much more wind than that and this configuration becomes a real challenge. 

At this power level, the light pellets have best accuracy, at least from this gun. (Barring windy days)

If I was to have one small minor niggle about the Veteran, it would be that the combo of JSB pellets and the barrel equate to a pretty wind susceptible situation. That has held true even with 18.13gr maxed out at 32ish fpe. 

I did some testing a while back, comparing wind drift of .22 to .177 pellets when both are shot at a little less than 20 fpe. I had a poly .177 barrel, a traditional cut rifling .177, and the Veteran (hammer forged) .22. Shot all three the same, nasty wind day at 54 yards. One shot per gun, holding dead on the aim point, different aim point for each of the guns. Then swap guns (going for a cumulative wind effect and hoping the process would not favor one gun simply because of a momentary let-up of the wind). Eventually shot ten shot groups. I then measured how far the approximate center or majority of the pellets were from the aim point. .177poly did the best (least horizontal distance from POA) followed by the .177 cut rifling, and finally the .22 Veteran. 

I'm not sure if all that can be applied to other guns and general game plans for approaching shooting, but I felt that bigger .22 just provides a bigger profile for the wind to exert itself upon. I also think the cut rifling LW leaves such distinct "fins" for the wind to grab, that it didn't do quite as well as the poly. There's also the theoretical idea that a longer flight time of the slower moving .22 gives the wind longer to push on it.

So, the bigger is better in the wind theory, needs to have the qualifier that bigger pellets WITH higher fpe is better in the wind.