.22 Taipan Veteran - impressive performance

The reputation is getting around that I am "air gun nuts." A friend of a friend called me today asking if he could bring his new Taipan Veteran over to my indoor and outdoor range to shoot and to show me. It was so new, and he is so new to the air gun arena, that he didn't have a tank, compressor, or hand pump. As I love to help others with their shooting sports interests, especially air gunners, I had him come on over.

We first took his new .22 Taipan Veteran to my indoor 18 yard range. I plugged it into my Omega Supercharger and fed it 240 BAR. We then fired a few shots using JSB 18.13 pellets to sight the rifle in at 18 yards. The scope he had mounted was a 4-12 Sightron Duplex.

Once it was sighted in, I had him fire a three shot group that all virtually went into the same hole. I set chronographs at 4" from the muzzle and just in front of the target at 18 yards to give me precise velocity data at the muzzle and at the target with each shot. The average muzzle velocity was 941, with a maximum spread of 8 fps. The average down range velocity for the three shots was a whopping 874, with a total spread of only 4 fps. The resulting muzzle energy was 35.6 ft lbs, considerably more than my Air Arms S510 in .25, let alone .22.

We then took it to an exact 50 yard measurement. At 50 yards, it actually shot .375" high and .125" left, with a dead-on hold. Every one of the five shots were touching each other in a near cloverleaf pattern. This group was about half the size of the very best 50 yard group I have ever shot with one of my Air Arms rifles, measuring approximately 1/2" or maybe a little less. Using the Strelok Pro BC calculator, given the 18 yard zero and the 50 yard comparison, the resulting BC was .0461.

I dialed all of this info in to the app and moved a set of steel silhouettes that included a ram, pig, turkey, and chicken to a laser measurement of 67 yards. Holding just over 2" above the desired POI, we never missed hitting one of them in the vital zone.

Summary; I was very impressed with the trigger, function, accuracy, and totally quiet report of this firearm. While it certainly is not as beautiful as other guns I have owned and/or handled, it isn't offensive either, and it certainly shoots.

I hope this hopes someone thinking about purchasing one of these.

I own 12 pcp guns and the Taipan is best trigger on any PCP I own.This was last gun I got the .22 caliber std , only mod was a donnyfl moderator it had a bit too much bark but accuracy is better then any of my 22 fx guns ,I believe CZ barrel and the trigger is why .and it has alot of power up to 38 fpe in mine and mine shoots up to 34 gain slugs great and they load in my magazine only gun I can shoot slugs with out single loading all should be like this to be honest . I was impressed by everything , I only wish it was a pound or 2 lighter , but this is not a flaw it is preference

In real guns I have to give it to Timney or Jewel are my favorites

I have mine with pellets out to 175 y and with slugs out to 250y

and I dont hav much time with it yet soon I will stretch its legs

Last time I went gray squirrel hunting at 70 yards limiting out with 6 head shots with 6 pellets it was to easy with shooting sticks sitting ,next time Ill shoot longer ranges or in some wind it is too accurate for this lol

1538968984_6718623635bbacd987f6a37.42364174_scared-cartoon-squirrel-illustration-looking-47479...jpg

Well, bdzjlz is one of the most gracious gentlemen I’ve met in quite some time. I sure appreciated the invite over to his shooting pad. The cell phone pics don’t do it justice. As for the Veteran long in 22, it made a believer out of me!! I had never held one before just went off of what everybody else said about it. I really haven’t read one bad review and your not going to get one from me either. For the money they are hard to beat out of the box.

Shot .96, .93, .87 five shot groups at 103 yards (.93 was 8 shot group) with my .22 Long a while back. More accurate than my .25 Vet Standard. I haven't shot my SynRods since this arrived. I have no interest in tuning ANYTHING anymore. Sub MOA at 100 yards, just as it came out of the box from RL Airguns. Worth every penny. Spent way more than this chasing SynRods around paper, frustrated. I haven't adjusted anything, and probably won't. I'd only screw it up. Somebody tell me what I am doing wrong so I can post target pics. They won't load no matter what I do. Wonder how far out these things will shoot sub-MOA? 

Excellent groups there! These guns are off this page and into the next chapter when it comes to precision. The CZ barrel and trigger put them in a class of their own, and apparently I got one where the airgun stars alligned. I am just an average shooter. This Long would make anyone look better than the really are. I was using JSB's right from the tin, lightly lubed with FP-10. The .87 group was the 18.13's. The other two were 15.89's. Late summer I inspected/size/weighed much of what I was shooting then, but I hadn't done so for a while due to demand on my time at work, and as a result had run out. That's what blew me away: I normally don't get my best groups out of the tin, but these three were unerring. What that portends is exciting. I can't wait until I have the time to sort some and go back out there to see what it will shoot. I am so busy I haven't shot since then. A couple times a day I just peek in at it sitting on my work bench and just chuckle...Taipans are just awesome!