.22 Springer & MOA at 25 yards

Shooting a springer at 25 yards and maintaining MOA accuracy is extremely difficult for me. 1 MOA at 25 yards = .2618" and your pellet hole is about .22" so your CTC would have to have all shots touching or one big hole. I feel good if I can keep the shots within 2" at that distance. Does this seem about right or others able to maintain MOA? This is 7 shots @ 25 yards and outside orange circle = 2". Shooting a HW95L from Caldwell bags off a picnic table & I am North of 80. Pellets are H&N 14.66 gr FTTs.

IMG_0343 1-09-2020.1610223968.jpg

A 1/4 inch center to center (c.t.c) group at 25 yards with a .22 springer is ambitious BUT do-able. The stars are definitely aligned when my groups are that small. If my groups are on the order of 1/2 inch c.t.c. I check my hold and trigger squeeze but I don't lose sleep if the groups don't shrink. That's probably average for five shots. If groups are in the 3/4 inch c.t.c range I'll check my screws, the breeze, my hold and trigger squeeze and look at my pellet skirts before shooting for a better group. I usually put my gun away if I can't do better than that. Some days are just better than others. I discount any hit outside that range as either my fault or the pellet.

This is with a Beeman R1, the right pellet and years of familiarization with my gun.

Is that shooting off hand?Off hand I want >1" at 25yds...can do better...with a pizza and root beer.

1/4" dots after I get in a groove with 1/2 ".dots...I do not want to frustrate myself.

It takes a lot of practice to shoot small groups at 25yds off hand.

Starting out 2" is OK,some hundreds or thousand pellets later you will be smiling how good you are getting.

What really helped me was shooting with a buddy who was really competitive plus had won a lot of matches.I watched him,he always beat me,until I copied him and practiced a couple of hours after he left,,,He used my rifle that was set up for me...and still did great....

The only way to get good is put in the time....and use the right technique......better to learn the right way from the start.

Take this with a grain of salt as the target was from 4 years ago. Haven't tried it again since although I did shoot the HW95 .22 quite a bit before I shredded my right shoulder and had to have surgery last February. Since then, all my rifles but 2 have been sitting idle for a bit over a year now and the 2 I did manage to shoot were back in June/July.

25 shots, 25 yards, HW95 .22 with a Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO scope and FTT 5.54 pellets.

HW95-Airmax.1610291305.jpg
hw95-032016.1610291342.jpg

At 25 yards I am very happy if I can do 1/2" or less shooting from bags, same thing at 30 actually. The only .22 Springer I have is an LGV and I think it is capable of that accuracy, but I don't recall my results. Been a while since I shoot it. Will update if I can find results. I'd most certainly not be thrilled with groups over 1". However, it is consistent and not throwing strays around. Have you tried tightening screws and cleaning the barrel a bit? I did not see, but is that with irons? or scope? I can't hit a barn with irons at 10 yards so....I would be ecstatic with 3" groups using irons. 😁 

OK, here you go. Skip straight to page 3 for good groups at 25 & 30 yards. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/intenseaty22s-22-lgv-master-pro/

Have you tried any other pellets? No?, Well then your search for the holy pellet needs to begin immediately !!! I have found that the JSB 14.3 and JSB 15.89 work best for me. My 2 springers like them,(alot) My break barrel springer is a Xisico XS-25 chinese R-34 clone. It's no HW 50 like what you have and it shot a 5 shot group I could cover with a thumb tack from 25 yds with the JSB 14.3. The H&N FTT pellets in 22 cal 14.66 grain do come in 3 head sizes. 5.53mm, 5.54mm, and 5,55mm. I remember that all 3 head sizes did not do so well in either of my near magnum springers, ( the break-barrel and an under-lever ).I think my best was like an inch or bit more with them. I had some H&N Spitzkugel 22 cal,16 grain pellets that shot well in 1 of them springers. Air Arms has a 22 cal 16gr pellet that I think would be worth trying imo.. Both Air Arms 16 and 18 grain pellets shoot well in my pcps. I"ve heard about these crossman 14.3 gr pellets that come in a brown box that might do well,unlike the wal-mart plastic clam packaged pellets which r (just bad).. It would save ya some money if the HW 50 liked them.

Getting an occasional 7 shot group at MOA at 25 yards is doable for most with a good shooting springer, but my guess is that it is more an exception vs the rule. If trying it 5 times of more I'd guess the average group size would be closer to .35 or .40 for a very good shooting spring gun and a very good shooter and .45 or .50 would not be a bad shooting gun at all. Not saying there aren't gun/shooter combinations out there that can't do it, but consistently shooting 7 shot groups at MOA at 25 yards with a springer? Pretty rare I'd say. 

I shoot 5 shot groups and try to shoot at least 5 of them before I let them "tell" me anything. My best guns will shoot about 0.35 to 0.40" at 30-35 yards in this way, fairly small standard deviation (maybe one or two MOA groups in the lot). I'm fairly happy to have them shooting 1/2" groups (again, average of many groups... not just one or two) at 35 or 40 yards in general.

I think MOA for PCP's over 25 shots (Five... 5-shot groups) and 1.5 MOA for springers is a pretty good if not very good gun... at least to 40 yards and maybe 50. Might not be Extreme bench rest worthy but it's no throw away. Testing different pellets, rests, positions and holds is critical. Calm winds will help you see the guns potential but do little for the shooter.

I recently got a poor shooting springer shooting quite well and did a lot of testing and bench shooting... different pellets, different grips and holds and bag placement. It's shooting very well now, and now I'll try to get that last little bit out of it to see if it'll shoot VERY, VERY well. This is all part of the fun.

Have fun,

John

Try laying a bath towel over the Caldwell bag. The leather top is sticky and I find it moves the groups on my hw30s around by not always recoiling the same. I started keeping my hand on the bag and shooting it out if my hand, by just doing that my groups went from 1" at 25 yards to 1/2". Steve Shalley uses a towel over his bags, he does really good with Springers off a bag.