.22 NSA 17.5gr .2165 in Leshiy

I am coming to the conclusion that the Leshiy barrels just do not work well with slugs. I've tried .30 NSA slugs, .22 (both swagged and the newer high speed) and also the .177 14gr slugs. These were all tested in the 350 mm barrels which will put hole in hole at 20 yards as long as I do my part with the respective JSB Heavy pellet in .177, .22 and .30. With these slugs shooting around 900fps I find the groups at 20 yards spread out to about 1 inch. The Leshiy barrels also don't like to feed the slugs well. The .30 barrel fits the slugs very loosely and they need to be pushed in a bit. The .22 slugs are a real tight fit - I found the .217 slugs needed a good push to insert flush to the barrel, I though the .2165 would fit a little better but I can barely get it to go in all the way before I close the breech. The .177s do fit better and shoot a slightly better group with a slightly different POI that .177 pellets. 

I'd like to hear from others who have tried and did or did not have success. Maybe speeding the slugs up a bit, or slowing them down, will make a difference. Or maybe the Leshiy barrels are just too tightly choked. 

The diameter of the slug is very important. Try to get a sizing die in a smaller diameter. They shouldn’t be difficult to load. As in no resistance at all!
I have bought slugs marked .217 that where in fact slightly larger and resisted being pushed through the .217 die. Maybe get a .216 die. The good thing about slugs is they can be resized and shoot well. I’ve had good results resizing slugs. Much better than pellets. 
1578021115_12586215355e0eb0fbd5e210.69826816_B8F09BA4-E2B0-4857-8E9F-3D44E3AB757D.jpeg

.22 & .25 sizing dies. 
Michael

Been doing a little slug testing in my .22 Raptor with TJ unchoked barrel and NSA all fit a bit tight without sizing them. Griffin slugs on the other hand have fit smoothly into the breech and so far have grouped better with the ones I have tried so far. Sizing them to fit properly is important when testing different slugs much more so than pellets. Have some FX slugs but have not had the time to try them yet. I need to try Nick’s 17gr.

Been doing a little slug testing in my .22 Raptor with TJ unchoked barrel and NSA all fit a bit tight without sizing them. Griffin slugs on the other hand have fit smoothly into the breech and so far have grouped better with the ones I have tried so far. Sizing them to fit properly is important when testing different slugs much more so than pellets. Have some FX slugs but have not had the time to try them yet. I need to try Nick’s 17gr.

It was Nicks slugs that where slightly oversized for me too. 

You are correct. I dunno what about the leshiy platform, but I have had ZERO success with slugs out of my .25, 350mm barrel. I have tried literally dozens of .25 slugs, no dice. 

If ANY slug were to work, it would be the rat sniper/FX hybrid design. Have to wait for the .25s.

Luckily mine is deadly accurate with polymags, which I think are really effective pellets. 

Interesting stuff about the sizing. I still think there's something with the choke on the LW barrels in the Leshiy. The barrels love almost every pellet I've thrown at it. The H&N Barracuda 21gr .22 surprised me and shoots amazing.

I might look into getting and un-choked LW or TJ barrel for slugs for the Leshiy. Sizing should be pretty easy - 350mm long and one solid diameter from front to back.

I have found the NSA .2165 slug is still a little too tight for the Leshiy barrel. A slug in .216 would probably be the ideal size. The .2165 were still able to shoot but couldn’t get them all the way flush with the barrel. I think the ideal slug for the Leshiy would be a hollow based .216 slug in no more than 18 grains. The hollow base would allow the slug to maintain its length and still be light enough to achieve FPS to stabilize. Just my 2 cents.