.22 FX Crown trigger sticking

Yeah, did it to mine too, I asked the same question and there were quite a few responses. It has to do with adjusting one trigger screw a lot more than the other. When making adjustments, turn one of the screws just a little and then the other... just a little bit at a time. That's a very brief response!!! I know that this answer is lacking in both content and the way it's written. Basically what I wanted to tell you is that the question was answered in depth on this site, you just need to do a search on here and it should pop up. There is also a You Tube video addressing the problem. I hope this helped some. Merry Christmas Centercut. 

Stoti

Mine did that when I was working on the adjustment, trying to lighten it a little. I had to increase pressure a bit (clockwise) on the "second stage" adjustment screw. You might also try increasing the pressure on the return spring, located directly under the trigger blade (at least that is where the blade on mine was positioned). The trigger on mine is very good at about 14-15 ounces, but I haven't found a way to do much with it. It's a very good field trigger, guess I've been spoiled by RAW and Steyr triggers. 

Like elh0102 and I said, just back off the first and second stage trigger screws, then start over... turn one a few turns, then the other a few turns. Keep going like this until you get where you want your first stage to hit a wall and your second to break. It works. When I adjusted mine to fix it, I had to do it twice to get it to stop sticking. It didn't solve the problem the first time I tried it so I had to back it off and try again. Don't give up hope though, this remedy does work... at least it did for me and the others who responded to my post who had the same problem. You shouldn't have to "learn to live with it", that would just suck, especially when the gun is new and cost you a lot of $$$.

Stoti

Mike, you've probably seen this fix in the past. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-trigger-not-resetting-fix-and-the-anatomy-of-the-trigger/. My Crown and Royale both do it and as long as there is a good light first stage and defined second stage I'm happy and don't even give it a second thought anymore. Where it became an issue on my Crown though was when I had the factory spring still in it and the difference in the first stage and second was so close (pull weight) that lot of the time I couldn't feel the second stage and the gun fired before I was completely ready. Even then though I could tweak it just a tad and get the wall of the second stage back. Wanting a lighter second stage which meant also making the first stage lighter I replaced the factory spring with a shorter and weaker ball point pen spring. My second stage is right at 11-12oz now. It took a while to find the right spring by destroying a few perfectly good pens but it was all worth while to me anyway.

Jking

Thanks guys. I shot 25M BR with it today just for fun and there were at least 10 to 12 shots that I fired before I was ready for the same reason Jimmy mentions above (and resulted in my crap score of 712). I’ll try the recommendations given and see how it goes. It’s just surprising to me that the “Crown” of the FX lineup has a glitchy trigger. My old .30 FX Bobcat has an almost perfect trigger so I just assumed this new jewel to the FX lineup would have a great trigger. Of all the air rifles I own, RAW, FWB, Cricket, Vulcan, Mutant, DS Renegade, FX Bobcat; the Crown has the worst trigger... seems odd. 

Make sure the trigger roll is properly lubed on the surface where it holds the sear engagement, this should make the sticking disappear for as long as its lubricated. Adjusting the screws a little isn't solving the problem, with this you're just looking for a lucky shot setting and wait for it to go out of setting again. In my opinion the design of the Crown trigger works perfect as a single stage trigger, the "second stage" is sort of faked onto it by using the ball detent screw. Luckily there is a beautiful upgrade to the Crown: via a tip from a friend, a comparison of some parts and contact with FX (thanks again Johan :) ) it is possible to put the Boss trigger on the Crown

1545039671_14678124635c176f37b9c4c9.76903499_IMG_1693.JPG

I found a work around for this, to an extent. But be aware, it involves adjusting the trigger in a non-typical manner, so pursue at your own risk. Using the front screw, I adjusted out the first stage completely, then backed out the rear adjustment screw until the trigger was non-functional, then went back in a little. You have to play with both. Anyway, I got a good, single-stage trigger at 9.5 ounces. I'm going to shoot it a little this way, but I'm not sure it achieves my goal. As any service rifle shooter knows, a two-stage trigger tricks your brain into thinking it is much lighter. In two stage mode with the Crown, I'm holding about 8 ounces at the first stage stop, so the pressure to release is only an additional 6 ounces. But, it might be worth at try if you are having issues with the trigger sticking. But I expect a cleaning and lubing of the trigger roll might fix that issue. 

Make sure the trigger roll is properly lubed on the surface where it holds the sear engagement, this should make the sticking disappear for as long as its lubricated. Adjusting the screws a little isn't solving the problem, with this you're just looking for a lucky shot setting and wait for it to go out of setting again. In my opinion the design of the Crown trigger works perfect as a single stage trigger, the "second stage" is sort of faked onto it by using the ball detent screw. Luckily there is a beautiful upgrade to the Crown: via a tip from a friend, a comparison of some parts and contact with FX (thanks again Johan :) ) it is possible to put the Boss trigger on the Crown

1545039671_14678124635c176f37b9c4c9.76903499_IMG_1693.JPG

Ha! Thats really cool, so I bet the Royale trigger would probably work as well.

I remember calling a good air gunsmith when I was working on a trigger on a Wolverine R. I told him the trigger release was great, I just wanted it lighter than I was able to achieve. His answer is memorable. He said, "you have a field rifle, and want a match trigger, you need to get a match rifle." I guess I knew that, as I have both RAW and Steyr rifles with great, fully adjustable triggers. The Crown is kind of a repeat of that experience. It has a very good trigger, but, regardless of its advertising, it is not a two-stage match trigger. I'm sure the Boss trigger is an improvement, but I think I'll keep the Crown as is for now. Given my intended use, it is a very acceptable trigger. Not to get on my soapbox (but I will), the description of, "two-stage match trigger" is used in the specs of many rifles, and most of them are not. Many are like the Crown, and they mimic the feel of a real two-stage trigger, but only in a very narrow range of adjustment. 

I thought I would update my status in playing with this Crown trigger, as others appear to be having an issue with it getting sticky before an acceptably lower release weight can be achieved. I've had mine adjusted numerous ways, both single and "two-stage" operation (in quotes as it is not really a two-stage trigger). I took mine apart and lightly stoned the bearing surface on the trigger roll, although I could not see or feel any roughness anywhere. I have not yet been able to get a two-stage adjustment under about 14-15 ounces, without the trigger getting sticky. I now have it set up with a very good single stage operation at 6 ounces. My process was: Turn in the first stage spring setting, which is probably directly under the trigger blade, so you will need to slide it out of the way. This is the spring some recommend replacing or cutting for a lighter pull when working with a two-stage setup, but I didn't find that effective. In single stage operation it has more importance, and it probably needs to be turned in for a little higher resistance. Next, adjust out all the first stage travel with the front screw, all the way to the first stage stop. At that point, it is a matter of playing with that screw, and the second stage adjustment screw in the rear of the trigger plate. It's kind of a balancing act, and you have to be patient. You also must check the safety position adjusting screw immediately behind the trigger to be sure it remains operational. If not, you need to turn it in a bit. As I stated before, this is not a recommended adjustment procedure, and it might not work on your rifle. You are setting up the sear with minimal engagement with that first stage adjuster, and you must be sure the rifle remains safe. I have tapped on the butt of my rifle with a hammer, and it has remained safe, but I will be very cautious with it while continuing to test, and I urge anyone interested in experimenting with this to do the same. This Crown trigger is fine in its intended two-stage operation if you want nothing under about a pound in release pressure, otherwise, its rudimentary design simple doesn't allow much adjustment. It would have been so much better to have been designed as single stage, IMO. 

My practically new .22 FX Crown has an issue with the trigger. When pulling first stage, then coming up against second stage. If I then let off, the trigger does not return to its starting position and instead stays right in that position? And easy fixes for this? Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike, Ernest Rowe goes over trigger adjustments on an Impact and from what I can see you may be able to pick up on a couple of the things you're experiencing from his video. Even if it's not directly translatable its a good piece. https://youtu.be/ExDFm9Hqur0

Forgot I’m the OP on this one. Took apart the trigger and polished the roller as discussed in some of the videos above. Lightly lubed components with Krytox grease. Reassembled and adjusted. Now have very nice two stage, where second breaks crisply right around 12 to 14 ounces. Feels pretty much like my Bobcat Mk2 now. I’m satisfied. It’s not as good as my Mutant or Cricket, but it’s still very good. 

Make sure the trigger roll is properly lubed on the surface where it holds the sear engagement, this should make the sticking disappear for as long as its lubricated....

Thumbs up on that comment!

broekzwans

there is a beautiful upgrade to the Crown: via a tip from a friend, a comparison of some parts and contact with FX (thanks again Johan :) ) it is possible to put the Boss trigger on the Crown

Okay I'm intrigued, I didn't realize the Boss trigger was that much better...is it?

George

Mike, did you shorten or try a lighter spring? I could get my first stage to return with the factory spring as long as I kept the first stage throw fairly short but to lighten up the second you almost have to go with a shorter or weaker spring which also lightens the first stage. That adds to an increase chance that it won't return on its own. I can set mine to break around 8-10oz's with this set up. That's where I'm at now.

Jking