• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

.22 For EBR

My go to gun for 100 yard BR is my Crown Saber Tactical in .22 caliber, 600 mm barrel, using JSB KO slugs. When limited to pellets, then I use my FX Impact MK2 in .30 cal. I haven't found the right slug for use in the Impact, but I'm working on it. I kinda like the .22 however.

Crown Saber Tacticl 22 cal at 100 yd.1634829606.jpg

Whatever is the most accurate for you in your gun. Going strictly by resistance to wind drift (BC), everyone would shoot .25 King Heavy Mk1. In fact, out of the three used at 100Y EBR type events, the .30 JSB Exact 44.75 grain has the worst BC... But it generally is used the most. I think a lot of shooters find the .30 to be the most consistent at 100 yards, and not prone to flyers...  I'm not sure why more don't shoot the .25 King Heavy Mk1. Perhaps because JSB has such a hard time making them consistently the same, so every batch you receive is different and performs differently.?

Whatever is the most accurate for you in your gun. Going strictly by resistance to wind drift (BC), everyone would shoot .25 King Heavy Mk1. In fact, out of the three used at 100Y EBR type events, the .30 JSB Exact 44.75 grain has the worst BC... But it generally is used the most. I think a lot of shooters find the .30 to be the most consistent at 100 yards, and not prone to flyers...  I'm not sure why more don't shoot the .25 King Heavy Mk1. Perhaps because JSB has such a hard time making them consistently the same, so every batch you receive is different and performs differently.?

Last couple tins of 'MK1' I received had MK2 pellets in them...I gave up trying to get em. 

Think the sheer volume of lead in the .30's make them more consistent (less dented skirts, 'easier' to eyeball for defects, etc). I have started sorting MRDs already in prep for next year's events 😁

☝🏼Nailed it Mike👍🏻 That’s what I am thinking also. Trust, I can’t trust the 22 reds or 25 heavies day in and day out, 30’s are very consistent but the worst bc of them all?. But I’m sure most of that is my problem? A lot of people obviously do very well with them.

Forward BC is NOT REPRESENTATIVE of the side BC.

What’s the best way to calculate side BC?

Well -- best would be an wind tunnel. Otherwise you would probably need to read up on Barrowman.

Remember, CP is a crude approximation for convenience. What you really want is a drag-vs-velocity profile which is used by some ballistic calculators for specific PB bullets - I've not seen a pellet company publish such data. The drag profile is HIGHLY NON-LINEAR in the transonic region which is where we tend to park our pellet velocities.

My use of the phrase "Side BC" is more of a euphemism used to express the drag-profile of a pellet from the side.

Otherwise you would probably need to read up on Barrowman.

I would think the drag model for a pellet would more closely resemble a shuttlecock than a model rocket. ;-)

The description of the Barrowman method sounds a lot more like an arrow than a pellet. Not trying to be argumentative.

A pellet would not have vanes or fins, unless you count the rifling marks on the skirt. Even then, there'd be more than 3 or 4 marks.

It would be interesting to know the reason for the "flyers" folks have noted.

https://westrocketry.com/www-test/index.php/articles/rocketry-stability-and-the-barrowman-equations/

He made several assumptions. He assumed that the rocket’s flight would be going straight up (or close to straight up), would remain subsonic, and would not experience turbulent air. He assumed that the rocket was long and skinny, had a nosecone, and was circularly symmetric with either 3 or 4 fins. Finally he omitted the effects of rocket’s flexibility and the fins cross sections on the CP

261d-1f3fc.svg
Nailed it Mike
1f44d-1f3fb.svg
That’s what I am thinking also. Trust, I can’t trust the 22 reds or 25 heavies day in and day out, 30’s are very consistent but the worst bc of them all?. But I’m sure most of that is my problem? A lot of people obviously do very well with them.

Jayson, I’ve been really giving this a lot of thought since the season ended. And I do have a theory why more shooters seem to prefer the .30 over the other two despite the slightly lower BC. 
What I theorize is that the .30 are less resistant to aerodynamic jump. Lateral wind drift can be estimated by wind flags and sighters. But the slight breezes and puffs of wind, especially when quartering from the left or right, can result in significant changes in elevation, in addition to the obvious lateral drift. 
Shooting the .30, especially at lower spin rates like from the older FX ST barrels seems to resist this “jump” better than the RDMs and Mk1 Heavy which are typically shot at higher speed and faster spin rate. This could also be why FX has been trying to get back to their “roots” with the very low spin rate STX liners in .30 cal.
Additionally, the .30s seem to come in better overall condition than the RDMs and don’t seem to produce unexpected flyers like we experience with the .22 RDMs. And the Mk1 Heavy can’t be found to be the same from tin to tin…

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/vertical-deflection-for-pellets-in-crosswind/

Reading from James A. Boatright Revised: March 2018 paper on coning, we find this statement:

"However, this horizontal jump AJh only applies at about 10 yards downrange. By about 20 yards downrange, the continuing coning motion of the bullet has almost completely cancelled it to zero net effect. Thus, the horizontal component of this crosswind aerodynamic jump is not significant as a rifle aiming correction."

Additionally, the .30s seem to come in better overall condition than the RDMs and don’t seem to produce unexpected flyers like we experience with the .22 RDMs. And the Mk1 Heavy can’t be found to be the same from tin to tin…

I don’t shoot nearly as much as many of these people, but this is my first thought. While I love the amount of money I save shooting 22, the consistency of pellets with 30 was much better. I don’t have the quantity of data to really compare, so purely just an observation. 

Pellets and bullet/slug do react differently due to the swapped Cp/Cg relationship of pellets but they still cone and AJ is coning-driven.

The HORIZONTAL component of AJ damps out quickly thus is NOT the reason for being pushed sideways in the wind.

Vertical AJ is real and is TOF dependent.........but we're talking side movement here.

AJ is NOT the reason you see horizontal movement in the wind. But believe what you want.....

I will, and I do. Thanks. 
FYI, the OP asked about favorite pellets and why? The discussion isn’t only about horizontal drift in the wind. It is also about AJ, accuracy and reliability. Please show me where I said AJ was the reason for horizontal movement in the wind? I said it caused movement from your intended POA, in the vertical plane. ;). I wonder if it’s even possible for me to comment about BC or drift without my favorite troll jumping in? ;)

Food for thought guys! Like gold in a river..very lazy and will drop out at any given chance...So what if the air fluid dynamics are playing the same game...Slight eddy Slight temp pressure change...? Plus any wipe and velocity change..We call it the ladder effect over here! 

But to the question put forwards...lol .177 Airarms 8.4 for me! Bless the little space dust! Good shooting dude!