.22 EDgun R3 Long

Bought .22 Edgun R3 Long from Derrick (@zx10wall) a short while ago. 

1552182600_8853539175c846d48413be4.72890360_0ECAB07D-81B6-4799-9887-AB02022C4AD2.jpeg

Took it out today to sight it in and shoot. Derrick tuned this gun to shoot the .22 JSB 25.4 grain RD Monsters at about 910 FPS. After sighting the gun in at 50 yards, and shooting some paintball targets with Nick (@socaloldman) at 50 yards, I decided to see how accurate the gun is at 100 yards. Slightly breezy day, 5 shot group at rusty steel plate. This is the first (and only) group I shot today at 100 yards. My point of aim was the through hole right below the group. Center to center size is exactly quarter diameter.

1552182859_3614717375c846e4b94d1f3.07775045_44BC320E-FB93-4F2A-AC52-C920EB7D4A33.jpeg

1552182997_14398965995c846ed54f9f31.72144124_B38395FC-A4C8-443C-86A6-3BC984F1304E.jpeg

Scope is Hawke Sidewinder 6.5-20x42. Trigger was adjusted perfectly. Great shooting (and looking) gun. Thanks Derrick, you da man!

That's a crazy good group at that distance.
1f44d.svg

@Zx10wall can you tell us what tune you did on her? @centercut any tips for shooting at distance? I haven't pushed my cricket mini c past 50 really with the 18g jsb. Do you need the extra pellet weight and length for accuracy/stability at those ranges?

Total reseal, enlarge plenum size and tune. Polished bore, lead & crown. Plenum can be enlarged in the R3(M) line by going with a lower profile Huma and larger reg spacer. I, however, installed a factory regulator and plenum spacer from a R3 .30 gen2 in this Eddy. These regs are turned down on the high pressure side to fit in the tube a bit further thus creating a larger regulated air space (plenum). This .22 can achieve 960 fps with the 25gr, if desired, by swapping the valve-return spring for a weaker one which I provided to C’cut. I like it’s current tune better as it seems just as accurate and achieves a better shot count.

Ed uses a LW barrel but with 1:16 twist. I believe this twist rate contributes to EdGun’s ability to shoot the RD Monsters and slugs so well. They are built like a tank and have a tensioned barrel to boot. Very strong and accurate platform. Yes, the trigger is tricky but can be adjusted to be very good.

Reactions: Swami
1f44d.svg

@Zx10wall can you tell us what tune you did on her? @centercut any tips for shooting at distance? I haven't pushed my cricket mini c past 50 really with the 18g jsb. Do you need the extra pellet weight and length for accuracy/stability at those ranges?

Total reseal, enlarge plenum size and tune. Polished bore, lead & crown. Plenum can be enlarged in the R3(M) line by going with a lower profile Huma and larger reg spacer. I, however, installed a factory regulator and plenum spacer from a R3 .30 gen2 in this Eddy. These regs are turned down on the high pressure side to fit in the tube a bit further thus creating a larger regulated air space (plenum). This .22 can achieve 960 fps with the 25gr, if desired, by swapping the valve-return spring for a weaker one which I provided to C’cut. I like it’s current tune better as it seems just as accurate and achieves a better shot count.

Ed uses a LW barrel but with 1:16 twist. I believe this twist rate contributes to EdGun’s ability to shoot the RD Monsters and slugs so well. They are built like a tank and have a tensioned barrel to boot. Very strong and accurate platform. Yes, the trigger is tricky but can be adjusted to be very good.

Excellent description, thanks, top job on the tune. I have a soft spot for the R5 EG, I think one in .25 will compliment my Cricket mini c in .22

Have you tuned any R5's ?

1f44d.svg

Aim small, miss small.

Follow through, watch the pellet hit the target.

Trigger control, be surprised when it breaks.

Have a steady rest. This was a front bag and rear was my hand for a rest. 

Right gun, right tune, right speed, right pellet..

Your .22 Cricket mini Carbine can shoot good groups at longer than 50 yards with the 18 grain JSB at 865 (or so) FPS. I’ve done it many times with mine, and so has Nick with his. I’ve actually head shot ground squirrels at 95 yards with my Cricket mini C. 

1f44d.svg

Excellent description, thanks, top job on the tune. I have a soft spot for the R5 EG, I think one in .25 will compliment my Cricket mini c in .22

Have you tuned any R5's ?

Thank you. Yes, the R5(M)s are really not in any need of mods. They have ample plenum and are ready to perform. Just a harmonized tune for your chosen projectile and they are good to go. 

1f44d.svg

Aim small, miss small.

Follow through, watch the pellet hit the target.

Trigger control, be surprised when it breaks.

Have a steady rest. This was a front bag and rear was my hand for a rest. 

Right gun, right tune, right speed, right pellet..

Your .22 Cricket mini Carbine can shoot good groups at longer than 50 yards with the 18 grain JSB at 865 (or so) FPS. I’ve done it many times with mine, and so has Nick with his. I’ve actually head shot ground squirrels at 90 yards with my Cricket mini C.

Thank you, good advise, I will practice and post up some groups. My gun is totally stock, I need to do a full shot string but its putting out something around 860 ish. What is Nick's username on here?