.22 DayState Air Wolf causing 21.1 gr H&N Barracuda Match pellets to corkscrew

AOA tested it month ago. Here are the results:

Hi Power:
  • H&N Barracuda Match 21.1 gr @ 875 fps (36.2 ft/lbs)
  • JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.1 gr @ 930 fps (35.1 ft/lbs)
  • JSB Jumbo 15.9 gr @ 975 fps (33.5 ft/lbs)
Power 2:
  • H&N Barracuda Match 21.1 gr @ 747 fps (26.2 ft/lbs)
  • JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.1 gr @ 805 fps (26 ft/lbs)
  • JSB Jumbo 15.9 gr @ 855 fps (25.8 ft/lbs)
For JSB pellets, it does best with a 5.52mm head size. For H&N pellets, it does best with 5.51mm.

On high power, it is causing the every pellet to corkscrew up to the H&N Barracuda. I haven't tested any pellets heavier than 21.1 grains yet. Tomorrow, I'll try the 25 gr JSB Monsters.

That's One Hell of a Corksrew!
I am guessing that this is the first time that this problem has occurred?
What did you use to clean the barrel? With What type of cleaner?
Do you get any kind of wobble at the lower power...that would be an indication of barrel fouling.
I know very little on Daystates , But I do know that my HM1000x can handle JSB's 18.1 at 945 fps...so my guess is that the air pressure is pushing the pellets too fast for your Barrel?? OR that when you cleaned the barrel, some residue is fouling the barrel
Have you tried to adjust the HST to lessen the fps down to the 30 ft\lbs range?

"manabeknives"That's One Hell of a Corksrew!
I am guessing that this is the first time that this problem has occurred?
What did you use to clean the barrel? With What type of cleaner?
Do you get any kind of wobble at the lower power...that would be an indication of barrel fouling.
I know very little on Daystates , But I do know that my HM1000x can handle JSB's 18.1 at 945 fps...so my guess is that the air pressure is pushing the pellets too fast for your Barrel?? OR that when you cleaned the barrel, some residue is fouling the barrel
Have you tried to adjust the HST to lessen the fps down to the 30 ft\lbs range?

It's the first time I have been able to observe the pellets in flight since I bought a high speed camera a week ago. I suspect this has been happening all along which is why I have never been able to get consistent accuracy when shooting with the Hi Power mapping.

I clean the barrel using pull through patches and Ballistol which is what I have used for all of my rifles with no problems. I will run some dry patches through and try again to be safe.

I haven't seen any pellets having wobbles on the videos I shot shooting on low power. At low power the rifle is much more accurate and consistent.

What is the HST?

"travels4fun"Video I shot showing the heavy 21.21 gr Barracuda Match pellets corkscrewing from my Air Wolf. Target was at 60 yards:
I'm not sure what is causing this.I know it's not a dirty barrel since I cleaned it last night. I wonder if it's a bad barrel?

If you gun was shooting fine before and it's gone whack now ....one of the potential reasons could be that your pellets are clipping the barrel or shroud. If you have a moderator on the gun try shooting without it. Usually pellets which corkscrew this bad are usually because they are hitting the baffles on your shroud or clipping somewhere in the barrel. 

I took the rifle to AOA and Kip looked it over and tried her out. He said the 18.1 gr pellets were performing very well and the H&N Barracuda Match just okay. He shot both pellets over a crhonograph and found they both were shooting 25-30 fps slower that they were a month ago. What the???Hi Power (March 21, 2015)
  • H&N Barracuda Match 21.1 gr @ 875 fps
  • JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.1 gr @ 930 fps
Hi Power (May 6 2015)
  • H&N Barracuda Match 21.1 gr @ 850 fps (25 fps slower!)
  • JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.1 gr @ 900 fps (30 fps slower!)
Kip suggested I try single loading pellets to see if that eliminates the corkscrewing. I went home and tested and found they still were being thrown into corkscrews. I have drive out again and see what the next steps are.

Scott

My "brainwaves":

Check crown.

Check barrel for damage by:
  • Looking up to a light.
  • Shining torch into breech end while looking down.
  • Push a tight slug down barrel slowly and consistently, being aware of any pause and then examine slug afterwards. (if necessary, pellets can be stopped at a particular point and then pushed back to the breech end.)
Examine air usage, so that you can check that proportions of regulated air blast haven't changed.

Try a strong brush clean and solvent cleaner.

To me, this looks to be a barrel issue. If there is a 'bad' spot in the barrel it may be scarring the pellets. Sometimes this results in a small, but even spiral. But, sometimes the scarring is bad enough to create a 'growing spiral'. This scenario absolutely needs to be addressed. The damage caused to the pellets won't likely show a loss of accuracy until 40+ yards. But, beyond 60 you won't be able to hit a barn door.

I agree that this is a situation that requires the gun to be sent back. It isn't a scenario of overpowering a pellet, or a barrel simply preferring one pellet to another. Your power is reasonable, and it is whirlly-birding every pellet you feed it.