• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

.22 cal used most in Speed Silhoutte at Extreme Benchrest 2014

http://www.extremebenchrest.com/2014-extreme-benchrest-match-results/

I was looking over the 2014 results in the Speed Silhoutte shooting at the Extreme Benchrest and noticed that shooters listed were of a majority shooting .22 cal.
I know the .22 has plenty of power to knock over the targets, but just thought there would have been more .25 cal listed.

13 shooters used .22 cal
1 shooter used .177 cal
2 shooters used .25 cal
4 shooters listed did not have their calibers listed

You will see many more .25's this year. Two years ago, speed silo was limited to .22's. Last year they opened it to .25's. But, few (including me) payed attention to the rule change. So, most of us showed up with .22's. Given how thick and heavy those targets are, I will be "upgrading" to a .25 this year. A .22 will get the job done, but it is less forgiving that the .25. And, hopefully the .25 will prevent the dreaded 1/2 turn - when you hit the far left or right of the target, failing to knock it down, and turning it "skinny side" to the shooter. In a high wind, that is a death sentence. One fella used a 12 ft/lb .177. It took out the chickens, pigs, and turkeys. ....then he got to the rams. He hit them dead center, and they did not fall. :)

"Ted"You will see many more .25's this year. Two years ago, speed silo was limited to .22's. Last year they opened it to .25's. But, few (including me) payed attention to the rule change. So, most of us showed up with .22's. Given how thick and heavy those targets are, I will be "upgrading" to a .25 this year. A .22 will get the job done, but it is less forgiving that the .25. And, hopefully the .25 will prevent the dreaded 1/2 turn - when you hit the far left or right of the target, failing to knock it down, and turning it "skinny side" to the shooter. In a high wind, that is a death sentence. One fella used a 12 ft/lb .177. It took out the chickens, pigs, and turkeys. ....then he got to the rams. He hit them dead center, and they did not fall. :)
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was something like that. I could find the rules for the game before the 2015. The .25 makes a lot of sense for this game.

"Ted"You will see many more .25's this year. Two years ago, speed silo was limited to .22's. Last year they opened it to .25's. But, few (including me) payed attention to the rule change. So, most of us showed up with .22's. Given how thick and heavy those targets are, I will be "upgrading" to a .25 this year. A .22 will get the job done, but it is less forgiving that the .25. And, hopefully the .25 will prevent the dreaded 1/2 turn - when you hit the far left or right of the target, failing to knock it down, and turning it "skinny side" to the shooter. In a high wind, that is a death sentence. One fella used a 12 ft/lb .177. It took out the chickens, pigs, and turkeys. ....then he got to the rams. He hit them dead center, and they did not fall. :)
So you'll be using a .25 in the speed silhouettes....the secrets are coming out....lol. I hope the .25 prevent the horrid 1/2 turn of the silhouette...those are really hard shots to perform under pressure!! Hope the targets can handle to force of a .25 pellet slamming into it at +50 ft/lbs ,or we'll have a lot of bent chickens!!
Will fumbling around for a larger pellet be easier then trying to load a smaller one?? Time will tell....plus I doubt Shane will be changing rifles for the match...so it looks like a .22 vs .25 in the speed silhouettes!