.22 Cal Predator GTO Lead Free Springer Performance Test

One of the areas I had yet to explore, having tested most of the popular lead free diablo pellets over the last couple of decades, was that of lead free pellets. Motivated by the AEAC Youtube review of the Weihrauch HW95 LUXUS, and seeing how the Predator GTO pellets outperformed the traditional lead pellets, I ordered five tins of the .22 pellets from Straight Shooters (since have ordered .117s - yet to arrive), to try in my various spring rifles. As my PCPs shoot the lead pellets absolutely lights out, in heaver weights, and at sufficient velocities, I really have no interest in exploring the lighter weight lead free pellets within the PCP realm.

As you will see below, I shot two groups each of the GTOs in my various springers. Observations are as follows:

• My HW97K has historically showed a strong preference for the H&N Field Target Trophy 14.66 Gr, 5.53 diameter pellets. It shoots them in very tight groups at 20 yards and less, and under 1" at 50 yards. The GTO's shot amazingly well with this rifle, and in the future, I may consider switching over (after I utilize the 5000 pellets I have on hand for it).
  • The HW95 LUXUS shot them exceptionally well, validating the AEAC test results. I have decided to dedicate the GTOs to the 95 as the pellet of choice.
  • My AA TX200, where I typically shoot the AA 18 gr pellet, shot them lights out. I have now switched this rifle over to the GTOs as the trajectory out to 50 yards should be much improved over the 18 gr pellets, shooting about 200 FPS faster than the 18s.
  • My AA Pro Sport, shot them OK, but not as well as it shoots the AA 16.0 grain pellet.
  • My Diana 56TH did not like them at all. Note that this rifle has a very oversize pellet seat, and the only pellet it really likes is the AA 18 gr pellet. The results with the GTOs was so bad, that I shot 10 shots with the AA 18.0 gr pellets when done, and it went right back to shooting groups of approximately .30" C-t-C with an SD of only 1, compared to an SD of 16 with the GTOs.

In summary, particularly with springers, there is definitely an application for these pellets, providing an opportunity to shoot at a higher velocity while and minimizing the trajectory's loop, with rifles that shoot at lower power outputs. I found them to be very consistent, and they seemed more malleable in terms of the way they seated in the rifles. However, as is always the case, there is no substitution for testing them in controlled situations, as your rifle may or may not like them.

The actual test results can be seen below.

Shoot safe, shoot straight.

DZ

.22 Predator GTO Pellet Tests.04.17.21.1618693194.jpg