.22 cal Hades – Perfect Mushroom to .59"

Forums Pellets, Projectiles, Slugs, & Ammo .22 cal Hades – Perfect Mushroom to .59"

• Views : 770
  • Link

bdzjlz
    Participant

I thought many of you might enjoy seeing this.  I have become a big fan of the JSB Hades pellets.  With more than 60,000 pellets in my inventory, of several manufacturers and varieties, in my AA S410 and Walther LGU Varmint, the 15.89 grain Hades is the most accurate in terms of tight groups.

Additionally, they are very deadly due to their expansion characteristics.  

Below are images of a new and recovered Hades, pulling it out of the sand from my target trap.  Note that it perfectly mushroomed to .59"  

Merry Christmas to all!

• This topic was modified 9 months ago by bdzjlz.
    Link

kkarmical
    Participant

fps you're getting such expansion with?

Link

Long_Gun_Dallas
    Participant

Serving pancakes for breakfast?  Lol. 

I think this is more a result of the sand.  Softer targets don't seem to have this effect on expansion. 

Link

bdzjlz
    Participant

About 700 FPS 

Link

Dairyboy
    Participant

There awesome pellets! My go to out of my Leshiy as well at about 830fps

Link

Blejda
    Participant

My vulcan 2 likes them better than JSB out to 50 yards  but at further ranges JSB are more accurate. 

Link

wahoowad
    Participant

That sand never what hit it 

Link

bdzjlz
    Participant

Steel plate at an angle reflects the pellets into the sand, but other than Polymags, I have not experienced this degree of expansion, and they are not this controlled.

Link

Calbarry
    Participant

what distance are you shooting?

Link

JimNM
    Participant

These remind me of mechanical broadhead arrow points.  Wicked cutting edges. 

Link

Long_Shot
    Participant

Is that after hitting a steel backstop? 

Link

bdzjlz
    Participant

Yes, at 18 yards.  But keep in mind all of the dome pellets are shot at the same, and while somewhat deformed, nothing like the expansion displayed here.

Link

Motorhead
    Participant

Dang near any soft lead pellet shot against a hard surface will pancake …. the diameter will grow larger as the thickness gets smaller until such time the lead no longer can stay attached to itself the pellet fragments.  Shown is at or near this critical fragmentation stage … IMO

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Motorhead.
    Link

kkarmical
    Participant

bdzjlz

Yes, at 18 yards.  But keep in mind all of the dome pellets are shot at the same, and while somewhat deformed, nothing like the expansion displayed here.

Shooting into steel causes deformation not expansion.

There's a couple physics guys on here that can explain correctly what causes a hollow point to expand, but shooting into  steel is the same result you'd get it you hit the hades with a sledgehammer, you're just flattening it.

Link

Cranky1
    Participant

jsb mk2 flattened on a steel plate at 100 yards

it’s my sighter target for my 100 yard golf ball target. Leaving the muzzle at 58ftlb, I use an old circular saw blade as my sighter, I’ve had to bend it back straight a few times. I’ve never seen one flatten or expand near this on game. 

Link

AirgunBill
    Participant

I shot some of the .22 cal Hades into my various weights of ballistic gel blocks and there was very little expansion. Of course there is no bone present to to increase the possibility of expansion. I will say however, I have found the Hades to have much better killing power on small pests than the dome pellets that pencil on through game. I believe the the cross hatched head which does open up some slows the pellet down and transfers more energy to the target. Bill

Link

Cranky1
    Participant

AirgunBill

I shot some of the .22 cal Hades into my various weights of ballistic gel blocks and there was very little expansion. Of course there is no bone present to to increase the possibility of expansion. I will say however, I have found the Hades to have much better killing power on small pests than the dome pellets that pencil on through game. I believe the the cross hatched head which does open up some slows the pellet down and transfers more energy to the target. Bill

I agree with this, I get larger exit holes and a lot more feathers flying with hades and polymags then I do diabolo shaped pellets. I also have a lot less fly offs with the hades and polymags. 

Link

GWHcraig
    Participant

maybe i'll have to give them a try in my AA410 im currently shooting 18gr. JSB but I like that expansion. 

Link

Motorhead
    Participant

GWHcraig

maybe i'll have to give them a try in my AA410 im currently shooting 18gr. JSB but I like that expansion. 

Generally found 15.9's to shoot better than 18.1 so going to a HADES at the lower weight is ALL GOOD !

Link

JimNM
    Participant

Shooting into a bucket of water, I found the . 22 Hades expanded to just over . 25 inches, with wicked sharp edges.  ~820 fps.  I would not want to be on the pointy end of that, fer sure. 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.