22 cal Griffin Boat Tails?

I always figured if flat based bullets are fantastic out of my real guns out to 500yrds, why would I need a boat tail out of my airgun. But, because of how us airgunners are, I am curious also.

Yeah, I'm with you. The FBs have allowed me to shoot accurately the furthest with airguns, but in 22 cal it's slim pickins. D-RIG's 30gr FB were damn good, but there were QC problems with a couple orders sonI gave up. None of the new heavier Nielsen ammo shoots well with my barrels, but his old hand made 28gr BTs were 💯.

So ordered some 29, 31, and 33gr FB Griffins - only to notice he offers BTs.. Just tired of gambling time and money at underperforming lead.

I tried their 34 and 38 gr ones they shot well in my r5m and my taipan

BTs?

My standard factory. 22 -- 24" -- condor barrel really like boat tails from 28g to 40g -- dying to try hid 44g boat tail...

Yeah, I'd settle for 36-40gr even. Nice to see he is offering them in that heavy though 💪

The problem of almost all flat base slug is the drag in the barrel you need a lot of power .. the taipan long I used to have didn't shoot anything heavy well , it tops at 21g shooting 100y .. but at a spot on a tree at 120y I could put a few 28g boat in the same place with a little more hold .. the condor could push 40g bt but it can't push more than 30 flat base..my .25 cricket could push 44g 25 acp solid..but can do the same with a 38g flat base..because the 44g acp rides the barrel in the 2 little bands..not draggin the whole bullet in the barrel .. that's why Imagine must of us are doing well with light flat base slugs . But not with the heavy ones. There is where the FX barrels shines because that design has les aggresive grooves...Nielsen discontinued boat tails because it didn't work for the majority of the people...but is the best bullet for my AF .. hope to be able to swage bullets soon because I can't order from Ebay. 

I use the 36gr 218 in my continuum. Groups at 100 will shock you

Cool! Have you calculated BC eith your rifle? (I have heard everything from 0.12 - 0.15 for the BTs). 

I'm experimenting with my little 500mm barrel in the Taipan now, hoping to gain some options for compatible ammo. Power is there, seems to be maxing out around 965FPS with 30gr Varmint Knockers, but the reg is still a ways under 150. My dream for this rifle is keeping it as shot as possible, Using 30-36gr ammo that can provide >=0.14 BC with the 500mm. I definitely want to try their 36-44gr with my longer barrels and see how they shoot. 

If none of them excite me, I'm going to setup a .224 barrel in my Vet 😂 

I have my electrical safety gear on, ready to be shocked! ;) Even better, shoot a card on the EBR Target Challenge and shock all of us. Someone needs to top @Thomasair's score (Mike N). Its only 100 yards....

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ebr-target-challenge/

😂 Well, I cant say no. But it will have to wait. My compressor has been down for about 2 months now. I ordered connecting rods from 2 sources, but neither has shown up yet. Other than that my gun is good to go, and I have the ammo on hand. I recon I could shoot some pretty high scores. But I've probably already put my foot in my mouth 😂

I have not calculated the BC on them. I recon it was around .135, but <%99 of my shooting is with pellets, so I've only been to the range twice with the 36gr slugs in about 10 months. I have spent time to properly tune the gun, and tested a very large variety of weights, diameters, and profiles 

Reactions: mtnGhost
I have my electrical safety gear on, ready to be shocked! ;) Even better, shoot a card on the EBR Target Challenge and shock all of us. Someone needs to top @Thomasair's score (Mike N). Its only 100 yards....

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/ebr-target-challenge/

1f602.svg
Well, I cant say no. But it will have to wait. My compressor has been down for about 2 months now. I ordered connecting rods from 2 sources, but neither has shown up yet. Other than that my gun is good to go, and I have the ammo on hand. I recon I could shoot some pretty high scores. But I've probably already put my foot in my mouth 
1f602.svg

I have not calculated the BC on them. I recon it was around .135, but <%99 of my shooting is with pellets, so I've only been to the range twice with the 36gr slugs in about 10 months. I have spent time to properly tune the gun, and tested a very large variety of weights, diameters, and profiles 

Awesome! That's right about where I was hoping for the BC to be. The flat base order arrives today, but I won't have the BTs until next Monday .. coincidentally the day I go back to work 😭

I'm a little concerned about the twist rate that they'll need. Planning to use the 29-36gr with the 500mm barrel kit, so if the 1:16 slug liner or 1:19 pellet liner don't work out at max power, I'm all in with reconfiguring for .224 (likely going to do this regardless).

Received the Griffin flat base ammo yesterday in 29 and 33 grain. They look good, close to the Varmint Knockers, but with a smaller meplat diameter / more aggressive secant nose (and the bases aren't damaged like all the VKs that I was sent).

I'm going to try them with my 500mm FX pellet liner to see how they do. The liner twist is 1:19", which is a better match on paper than the 1:16" slug liner

29gr

1591984230_339490545ee3c066583324.88932763.jpeg

33gr

1591984247_9631642045ee3c077ad3f41.46947808.jpeg

My current Taipan tune with the 500mm pellet liner is only pushing the 33gr at 962fps and 1017fps with the lighter 29gr. The bore is noticeably tighter in the pellet liner vs. the slug liner, .2168 would be optimal 🤔

Well these are instantly my new favorite .217 slugs! Tested them out of my 600mm slug liner with great success (although I blew through almost half of them battling liner tension problems, but that's another story in itself).

I tried the 29, 30, 34, 36, and 40 grain BTs. Random observations:

• The 30's were not compatible, and drifted 2.5" @100 no matter what I did
  • The 36 & 40gr had MINIMAL wind drift at 268m and 285m, despite relatively strong variable cross winds; the 34's also hung in there very well, but I ran out of them at 268m (only had a mag or so left by the time I shot them at this range)
  • The 29gr had the highest BC of all with my 600mm slug liner at 0.136. Shot them at 1040, but they were most accurate around 985. 100m BC fell to 0.113, although they drifted far more than the others (no surprised there)
  • The 40gr barely fit my Veteran mags, but I had no issues managing them:

1592247028_14493772285ee7c2f4d76484.00216368.jpeg

Pausing my plans for .224, these will definitely work.

1592247062_5176124315ee7c3165de9a8.92872820.jpeg

So the highest BC slug still drifted more than the others?

Yep. A higher BC from muzzle to 100 doesn't mean that they won't drift more than somewhat lower BC ammo after a certain distance (usually 135-250m for 25-30gr for sub/transonic). The twist rates can also affect stability and throw off BC (up or down), I've seen BC numbers trend down at different rates when they're unstable (yawing and such). Too variables involved to rely on BC alone, it's dynamic anyway (BC is not static the entire time). Bottom line - if you wish to shoot straighter further out, the heavier the better. If you want flatter trajectories at shorter distances, you can shoot lighter ammo fast.

I'm anxious to get more of these 34 and 36 grain BTs. Hoping the 34gr prove to be reliably accurate to ~300y in wind like I had yesterday, but I can already see that the 36gr are capable. I want this Vet to be a 300y shooter, but I can't yet determine what the max "effective" ranges are for each of these weights in my rifle just yet.