.22 cal Discovery leaking from the fill port.

OK. I decided to hand pump my Disco the other day (needed some exercise). I went to release the air from the fill hose, and it ended up de-gassing the gun. It looks like the air was leaking out of the fill port. I have never dis-assembled the rifle, but now that I own a couple other PCPs to shoot, I figure this would be a good time to learn how to fix my own PCP air rifle. Since the leak appears to be coming from the fill port, I will start there and see if any debris got into the fill connection somehow.

Before I attempt the repair, I have a couple of questions:

Do I need to use heavy teflon tape (the black teflon tape available from airgun vendors) when re-assembling the rifle?

I have silicone grease and silicone lube for o-rings (or metal parts). Do I need any other consumable parts?

Do I have to replace o-rings since I will be disassembling the air tube (I'm assuming there is at least one o-ring in the fill connector).

Anything I should inspect since I'll be in the air tube?

Would now be a good time to put a regulator into the rifle, or any other after-market improvement (the rifle is stock, except for the moderator attached to the barrel).

Thank you in advance for any/all replies or suggestions.

Cheers,

Bill

The Discovery doesn't need a regulator and will slow down your speed for that Disco being only a 2000 psi fill gun in order Fotvthe reg to be effective. 

You probably can borrow a tank and blast quick deliberate off and on bursts to possibly fix your leak first before taking things apart.

If after using a tank after several attempts still doesn't fix it theres a faucet washer looking piece flip it around after cleaning with non petroleum based cleaner like mild soap and water. No need Teflon tape or anything else.

Reactions: buckyusn
The Disco is in the 22xx family so there’s all sorts of things that can be done to it if you’re willing to pay the money. 
I installed a HUMA in my Disco but I also converted it to 3K psi fill by replacing the valve screws. Don’t fill to 3K unless you upgrade the screws. I tuned it down to 14-15 fpe so I get a ton of shots per fill which was my main goal. close to 100 which is more shots than I typically have time to do in one sitting. It’s accurate as I need it to be within my 20-25 yards I have available in my backyard. For the dollars you spend on it you can certainly just buy a little better rifle like a Fortitude or Marauder so this isn’t a practical build in that regard. I did it because I wanted to and just for the fun of it. So it was worth it to me for the experience and the enjoyment I got from it. 

1596681877_439678965f2b6e95570767.71734499.jpeg

Thank you both very much for the information!

Yo, I will try thumping the fill port with a rubber mallet before I fill again. I did release the hose pressure slowly, so I will try and empty the fill hose faster to prevent this from happening again (provided the rubber mallet + refill trick works). If not, I guess I will learn better how my air rifle works, and decide if I am going to put any more money into upgrades, or just fix it and put it back into service.

Thanks again!

Bill