• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results 2021 AAFTA Nationals Final Scores and Equipment List

Here are the final scores and the equipment list from the 2021 AAFTA National Championship Match help in Morro Bay, CA October 15-17. Wayne will prepare the final match report in a few days, I'm pretty sure he was exhausted from the weekend and had to be back in Oregon Monday to tend to his business. 

A special thank you to all the volunteers who helped put on this event Match Director and breakfast chef extraordinaire Wayne Burns, Randy Ebersole, Scott Schnieder, Jim Cyran, Darren Taylor, John Knapp, Jim Whittlesey, Chris Merritt and probably several I forgot. An extra special thanks to Scott Hull who without his help the match wouldn't have come off. Scott prepped the course for the match, mowed the sight-in range, laid out the match lanes (with Scott Schnieder), was a course marshal was responsible for the dinner menu, set up the dinning room and helped cook the dinner (with the help of his lovely mother). Scott also decided to not shoot the match to concentrate on the running of the match and making sure the dinner was first class. Thank you Scott.

Also a special shout out to Team Puerto Rico who responded to our request to help with the course clean up. By the time we returned from tearing down the banquet hall this incredible group of men had the whole 30 lane course torn down and ready for pick up. Muchisimas gracias team Puerto Rico!

I hope those who were there will share their experience and pictures with the rest of us. This was an extremely difficult match. The winds were strong and relentless even the Saturday morning sight in had 10+ mph winds making it difficult to confirm your zero let alone you hold offs! I can't remember a match where I held outside (way outside) of the kill-zone so many times.

The scores bear out the tough conditions, with some of the best shooters in the country participating only 3 people shot 80% or better with the match high being 82.5%, nuff said! Except for the winds we had 3 beautiful days for the match with warm sunny days and cool dry evenings, California weather at its best.

Thank you to all the participants who attended! We are so grateful for your support. Covid has screwed with our sport for almost 2 years now and we thank all of you who took up the challenge and gave a boost to our sport.

Jim in Sacramento

2021_AAFTA_Rifle_1.1634613101.jpg

2021_AAFTA_Rifle_2.1634613529.jpg

2021_AAFTA_Pistol.1634613552.jpg

Go Sac Valley !!! ( SVFTC ) winning the team event with a Very very strong showing in individual class competition. Way to go guys !!!

Southern California coast, Late fall, Nice weather, Shifty winds, Deceptively difficult 31 troyer course, Great temps day & night, Outstanding sportsmanship all around from folks all over the USA and PR .... yea it was a Nationals Field Target Championship no doubt !

Kudos to all who made the trek to Morro bay for this FIRST Post Covid ( Well semi post ) AAFTA 2021 Nationals FT event. May the coming years see some degree of normalcy return in these events once again seeing 80-100+ competitors.

Scott S

Thanks Jim,

I know you did a ton of work on the computer with stats and other icky stuff I always avoid, but you are so good at it, its amazing. And you still have energy in between to shoot well tool!

I had a great time, despite the mounting aches and pains I seem to pick up almost by the week. I shoot a bit more poorly this year than ever, but I still keep coming back despite the worsening scores …. Because its so great hanging out with you other airgun nuts!

And as you say, it can’t happen without the help of some really great guys!

Jim, thanks for the results posted, wish I had had the time to come. Great shooting!

Scott S, unbelievably awesome shooting! Congrats on being the National FT Champion!!!

Thank you Mike.

Was hoping to see you and a few more of the other blossoming FT shooters attend .. Guessing the extreme events are more attractive these days ?

Scott S

Thank you Mike.

Was hoping to see you and a few more of the other blossoming FT shooters attend .. Guessing the extreme events are more attractive these days ?

Scott S

I would have liked to attend, but not retired yet, still working 50+ hours per week, just couldn't fit it in. I do plan to attend more FT events in 2022, so I'm sure I'll see the Scott's, JimC, Wayne, and the rest a few times. ;) Now to figure out that damn off hand accuracy. I'm competitive bucket and sticks, but being truly competitive depends very much on the forced position lanes. 

Here's a question for the Match Director at the Nats. If someone had shown up shooting slugs at less than 20 FPE, would it have been allowed, and why or why not?

We missed you Mike!

There is nothing in the AAFTA rules that prohibits lead slugs. That said several people have experimented with them and concluded that out to 55yds there is no advantage using slugs over pellets that your rifle likes.

Jim in Sacramento

Thanks Jim, I missed you guys too. Great shooting, second place is awesome! I've scoured the 5th grade shooting teams in California and came up with a few more members of Team Centercut. LOL. We're up to 11 shooters now. I don't think Robert wants to pay for any more uniforms, and he did say he wasn't going to rent us two houses for away tournaments!

Being the geek that I am, of course I had to try the new JSB KO 13,4 slugs (the 10.3 sucked). From my testing in the Daystate Pulsar, they are about nickel size ten shot groups at 55 yards, whereas the 13.4 RD Monsters are about dime size. I have not tested them side by side as far as windage, but have tested them side by side against the .25 JSB Heavy Mk1 pellets and get similar wind drift...

OK Jim,

I bet its Wayne’s doing. But. Wayne and I didn't both shoot #1 USFT pistol, and I used a fixed 10x SWFA scope, not UTG. I also used a Sightron scope, not S&B (I sold that S&B to finance my trip to the Nats). No biggie, since my scores would not have changed with the equipment listed. 

Again, kudo’s for all the work you do for this sport.

LD

For those interested, here is some data for the rifle courses set at the 2021 AAFTA Nationals:

Blue (West facing) course:

course-blue-00.1634679700.jpg

Blue course difficulty with wind:

course-blue-01.1634679727.jpg

White (East facing) course:

course-white-00.1634679738.jpg

White course course difficulty with wind:

course-white-01.1634679763.jpg

Typically, the Morro Bay matches use more full size kill zones (and they are 40mm which gives 10% more area than AAFTA 1.5" targets), and we tend to run a little lower difficulty factor. The 31.4 difficulty factor at this year's AAFTA Nationals and switching winds made for a very challenging course.

I think the rifle match went really well. Minimal down time for cold lines. No pulled targets. Started and ended on time each day. Tally of results and shoot offs done in a timely manner, and on to the awards banquet. I'm glad that most were able to stay until the end and still make their flights. Lots of behind the scenes help to make it happen.

I was really pleased to see the great representation from Puerto Rico and the Eastern USA clubs. We have been organizing AAFTA GP matches at the Morro Bay range for nine years now and this is the first time that we have had any shooters from east of the Mississippi. It looks like some got a taste of the California Central Coast while here.