• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

2020 GP Series

JMO......Postpone it. A bunch had to cancel due to state restrictions and such......and not all competitors have the means to travel long distances to attend the ones that still went on.

Just my thoughts...........For those that did attend GPs this year, don't penalize them. Keep their scores and roll them into the 2021 series. If they shot/shoot at the same location/match in 2020 and 2021, take the highest score of the 2. Maintain at least 3 different venues for the final results.

This is not discriminating against those who have not been able to shoot this season ..... There are those out west that HAVE and went to there respective GP's and did shoot.

For many of us the California State & GP will be our 4th GP on the west coast for the year. There should be 2020 GP winners and all will know a bittersweet victory won none the less.

2021 will be the same, some will shoot GP's and some will not .... life goes on until we get normalized once more ... If ever ?

Scott S

Scott,

I see the point Isledweller is trying to make, and it does make sense, in order to be fair to the entire country, west coast to east coast, north to south. Yes, a good handful of shooters on the west coast, did go to their respective GP's as you noted, and are going to be shooting in their 4th GP event in a few weeks.

It's not like GP's were held, and people decided not to go. You guys on the west coast got lucky, because at least they were held, and for those who wanted and decided to go, they had that choice. On the east coast we did not. Every regular GP was canceled.......all of them. I'll be shooting my first and only GP offered this year on the east coast, in North Carolina in a couple of weeks. Even at that, there was a limit and cap to the numbers attending. I'm sure there were a lot of shooters that wanted to shoot it, but are not able to because it's filled.

All the rest of the country shouldn't have to "loose out" so to speak just due to the fact that NO GP's have even been offered. If they were, and no one decided to go, that would be one thing, but the nearest GP that anyone here in the east could go to was Arizona. Not a realistic competition for any east coast competitor to make. I would tend to agree with what isledweller said above, it would only be fair.

Hopefully, we'll see what the BOG decides, and I'll respect that decision, whatever it is. 

Good luck to all shooters who are shooting the upcoming GP at Morro Bay, hopefully, all this will get back to normal by the spring.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Scott,

I would definitely be at the same decision......if it were the other way around, fair is fair, at the end of the day, regardless who loses out, and who don't. If GP'S were available everywhere, and people didn't go, that would be one thing, and a whole different matter. The fact still is, the ONLY GP'S that were not canceled were on the west coast. There were no GP'S available to even shoot. Pyramyd Air Cup, Burning River, Crosman, Cajuns, Good ol Boys, were all washed away. I would have made at least 3 of them, maybe even a fourth. Believe me, there's no one more antsy to shoot a GP than I am. But when nothing is around, ya can't shoot.

I think that Isledwellers idea of carrying over the 2020 GP scores is a good idea, and who wouldn't want their best score to count? For the west coast guys that have those scores, its a win-win, all the way. If they (west coast guys) shot 3-4 more regular GP'S next year, in addition with this years, that would be beyond fair.

As I said, whatever.....healthy discussion and debate in these odd times are good, as I said, whatever the BOG decides, is all good, and I'll respect it.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

If the shoe were on the other foot and rest of the country shot there GP's and the West did not .... you better believe we would be SOL to stop the GP as we know it for that year.

You are correct already. In the first three years of the AAFTA GP (2009, 2010, 2011), there were no GP matches west of the rockies.

There is no requirement for what parts of the country the GP matches must be held. However, the GP is self regulating as far as whether awards will be issued for any given class. For each class, there has to be at least three competitors that attended at least two matches for an award to be issued. Classes that don't meet the requirement won't have a GP award.

Those who have attended the required number of GP's get awards this year. It will be a West Coast clean sweep.

"Those who have attended the required number of GPs get awards this year...."

It's not that easy. Just because you attend the required number of GPs does not guarantee that you get an award.

1) You must shoot in the same class in at least two GPs to be considered for GP point totals.

2) At the conclusion of the years GP series, there must have been at least two other people in the same class that also met the requirement.

3) Of those people, you must have the highest point total from two or three matches in that class in order to get the award.

So far, Hunter PCP, Open PCP, WFTF PCP, and both pistol classes, have met the GP awards threshold for 2020. Looking at some of the results up till now, it seems unlikely that it will be a "West Coast clean sweep."

It's still possible that there will be no piston awards this year, even if an individual shoots in the required number of GP matches.

So no hope for me in piston then Scott H? Since there hasn't been any other wftf Piston shooters to my knowledge other than Adam from Vegas who had only shot one GP.

Adam from Vegas? I don't know about that but I think there have been three other WFTF piston shooters at 2020 GP matches. But only one match each so far. A couple of them will need to shoot at least one more GP match each in order to meet the award threshold for WFTF piston.

My take is that those people that made the effort to attend matches wherever they could when they were available should get credit for it. Just because it wasn’t in your back yard doesn’t mean you couldn’t go. 
If the decision was made to honor that, that’s a good choice. No whining about fairness. Anyone coulda got in their car or plane and gone to em.