2018 Chipmunk Season

As most you know for the past few years I have been working the Chipmunk population down here at Camp Hajimoto in Western Massachusetts. Well this year because of the winter that would not stop and all the rain every weekend, I haven't been able to get much outside time to determine our Chipmunk situation. I can certainly hear them out there chirping away and defining their boundaries but I am not seeing them as much as I have in years past.

Please remember my goal was not to eliminate the chipmunk population completely, just reduce it to more manageable numbers. The owls, hawks, weasels, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, bobcats, lynxes, cats, dogs, snakes and red squirrels could not eat enough of these fellas as the population explosion was insane. The Northeast was so overrun that chipmunk territories were literally only 3 feet away from each other!

More information and facts on the 2017 chipmunk population explosion can be found HERE.

I will be capturing and posting new videos as they become available. My hunting videos have also been run off YouTube so I currently host my hunting videos on Vimeo. Please enjoy my 7th installment of the Smack Down Series from the 2017 season.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/257592525?app_id=122963

Thanks for the support guys!

"zerox69"Hello hajimoto 
Love the video . Its nice to have good spot for pesting . I was wondering , is their a reason you don't grab the chipmunks with your hands ? I never heard of them having diseases like the prairie dogs or California ground squirrels .
Hello zerox69
I do not handle chippers bare handed because Chipmunks are most commonly known to spread plague, salmonella, and hantavirus. Plague is a bacterial infection that attacks the immune system. It is usually transmitted via the bites of fleas carried by infected rodents. Chipmunks spread salmonella the same way they spread plague. This disease causes severe gastrointestinal discomfort and joint pain. Finally, hantavirus affects the lungs. People contract hantavirus through close contact with rodent urine or feces.