200$ PCP is as accurate as 2000$ PCP?

The group looks to be about 1.25" between farthest pair if you toss the one he is calling a flier (which is entirely possible in the wind he was experiencing). An MOA is 1.04" at 100 yards. That particular group isn't quite MOA but is darned respectable under the conditions. You could literally see the wind blowing the plaster dust away from the holes in the sheet rock he used to back his target. I'd be happy with any AG that shoots that good in those conditions. On a calm day that rifle and shooter would be able to shoot MOA groups.

In all practical purposes none of us need the higher end airguns. Some just like them. I tend to be one of them but I wouldn't discount anyone's Maximus, cheif, or comparable gun. I can't say for sure that a higher end gun like the impact is more accurate that the cheif. Let us not kid ourselves though. Higher end guns are higher end guns not only because they are made in lower volumes, with higher quality standards, added features, etc. They also tend to be more accurate. Not always, but usually. Especially over a greater number of shots per fill. I'd be willing to grant that an AF condor could shoot king heavies every bit as good for someone like Ted or Steve as an impact or RAW so long as they kept tuned it just right and tethered to a regulated bottle. But an impact or RAW can do it more consistently as a stand alone platform. Usually, when you pay more you get more. If you didn't, no one would pay up.

To each their own is my stance. Happy shooting everyone.

I am very seriously considering one of those SPA guns for my boys. I wish there was a better market for junior sized PCP rifles. I have to drive a bit for them to get trigger time with their Crickett .22lr. Their little 10 pump crosman 760 just doesn't cut it and they can barely pump that. I am thinking the SPAs are light and after a stock hack I should be able to get the LOP a little more kid friendly.

I think you will find plenty of low end PCPs that can shoot well. But it's just not the same as a high end airgun. Its about the higher quality materials like stocks and regulators as well as ability with some to change calibers or twist rate with barrel options( crown). Some people like something they can tinker with. I have seen plenty of threads about mrods that people have put serious money in to get out every last bit of performance. I liken it alot to cars. You can purchase about any car and it will get you from point A to B, but it's a different experience between Honda civic and a BMW, Mercedes, or Cadillac. You can do all the work you want so that the Honda is faster than most anything out there, but at the end of the day it is still a Honda. The higher end cars like higher end airguns are also part of the ownership experience. I can show someone my .22Mrod and I would not get the same reaction as showing them a daystate or a FX with a nice wood stock.

With that said I am glad these guns are out there to help advance airguns in general.

I had a mrod .25 that was a very accurate gun. The gun could shoot with the best but I got rid of it not because it was inaccurate but the mrod could not get you what higher end guns get without spending more then it's worth. Higher shoot count, bigger air reserve, lighter weight, a sports match trigger, regulated, and shorter length were things the mrod couldn't do without spending a ton of money. If you have the money, you could turn the mrod, or any other gun, in to any thing you want.
its probably the same thing for the chief. From watching your video, I don't doubt the accuracy of the gun. Your gun is a shooter for sure.

I have been saying it for a long time, most PCPs will outshoot the shooter so once you learn your gun you should get the same results no matter what gun you shoot, especially at 50 yards. Case in point - My tuned and regulated Galatian II, not a $200 but $800 gun yield the same results as my HM1000x at any distance. The RAW have a better trigger, smoother cocking and gets a few more regulated shots, but otherwise no difference in accuracy. Maybe in a benchrest competition where every millimeter counts there will be a difference, but for my shooting there are no difference at all.

Sure.

Many say "it's the barrel that counts" ( and the shooter I reckon ). 
Mostly true tho less jump not having a 9lb trigger & such play in there somewhere.

I have a QB78 HPA .177
Barrel recrowned & polished and the lead made just right for JSB 10.3g (whatever they are).
Under $200.00 w/scope and could win any FT match with a good shooter. Many many many squirrels taken with it.

I do believe on ( my ) best of days the HM1000 ( which is a .22) certainly does group better esp. beyond 50 yards, I as most shooters don't have great shooting day's everytime, wind, shakes, chores and the "I'll be right back honey" shooting "session" before Supper.

I have an old Hannel modIII that wont shoot far but does shoot a true one hole at 10m, low cost classic there.

I have seen NO shortage of low cost rigs ( under $200.00 , crosman quest, gamo, other ) at Field Target shoots, and with the people who know their rifles they score very well.
Ask Ron Robinson if you NEED a $2,000 rig to shoot well. He might pull out an antique Crosman pistol and shoot for pink slips.

One big advantage some low cost rigs have is you can spill paint on it ( or ?) and you didn't just loose $400.00.

Lower cost of shooting is what got me into tiny bore airguns.

Fun post, thanks.

John

Yeah haha, I have a less than 200$ Benjamin classic .22 it shoots around 720fps with 14.3gr pellets. It's just quiet enough for backyard use and I've slayed squirrels and rats with it. But I can't shoot it accurately beyond 30 yards or so but it does a great job in the backyard. I've packed it around in a backpack rubbing against a chair and tripod the kind of gun you don't worry about scratching the stock, like a daily driver Honda.

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're just shooting targets in the back yard or hunting squirrels, then it really doesn't make a difference. If you want to shoot field target, and you want to compete, then it makes a huge difference. Mainly, I think, the better barrel, trigger, and quality control on the high end guns make the difference.