200 ft# regulated PCP

Marcella-
I hit the dirt in Dec.-1949. When I tell someone I was born in the first half of the last century they suddenly think I am very old! I guess that does have some benefit sometimes.
I have been using the chairgun app for about 7 mos. ,and you are right,it does work pretty well in the field. My scope is a BSA Sweet 17 off my 17 HMR . It is 4x12 with side ao to 10 yds. but does not have mildots. The chairgun graph for click settings keeps me in the ballpark. Want new gun and scope so I can expand my range and knowledge even more.

You have me by almost exactly 10 years! (Where does the "54" come from?) We both got right in under the wire! At least it's easy for me to remember how old I am :). I get the same thing as you when I tell people I was born in the 50s!

I mounted a Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF IR 4-16x 50 on my FX Impact .30 (fixed shroud). I absolutely love it! I can honestly say that it is my favorite weapon for small game that I have ever used.

It's good to meet a kindred spirit. Hunting keeps me active, both physically and mentally. I love everything about it; from the technical aspects, the actual hunting, all the way through the cleaning and butchering of game, to the cooking and EATING of it!

Marcella-
The 54 came from me being a newbie to using the internet and I was trying to register at Network 54. Since my initials are BB, I didn't want anyone to confuse something I might say with Tom Gaylord,so I became Bruce54. I had never been on the internet till just a few months before that.
I,too, love every aspect of the hunt.
I still haven't found a good recipe for magpies or prairie dogs, but everything else goes into the pot. With all the adjustability on your Impact do you find the best balance of settings for a particular pellet and then just hunt with that or do you change pellets for each type of game?

Bruce, I'm surprised you didn't ask me where the "69" came from! (I'm glad you didn't :). I generally try to eat most of everything I shoot; I'm open to new recipes. I've even eaten groundhog. It makes a great stew, very filling. Half the body mass is fat, though.

I shoot 50.15 gr JSBs and keep the wheel set to MAX. This delivers the best ballistic profile for the game I hunt. I was more interested in the power of the Impact .30 and its other features; like field-swappable bottles, accuracy, high shot count, low noise, and compactness. (I love bullpups.) With the punch and accuracy of the Impact .30, anything within 75 yards is gettin' hit in the brain pan! I'm all about shot placement and put-down power.

Marcella-
I have eaten beaver and muskrat and probably won't do the muskrat again. With my little Discovery I've got it tuned to just 20 fpe but with 18 gr. JSB's I get 20 shots with an ES of 9.6 fps. and use from 1900 down to1150 psi. Out of a 135 cc tank I don't think I can expect much more. For hunting I know pretty well what I've got to work with, I just don't stray too far from my air supply. Accuracy is the reason for me getting into this and that is what I love chasing after.

Bruce, I've never eaten muskrat; but me and my brother used to trap them when I was kid. We'd get up at o'dark thirty and check our traps before school. Back then, we'd actually get $5 per pelt, and I'd typically trap a couple 'rats each morning! That was a chunk 'o change for a 12 year old in the early 70s! (Christ, it ain't bad now!)

If you give me your e-mail, I can send you some ballistic data that I've compiled on my Impact .30 (and a Daystate Pulsar .25 and P-Rod I used to own). My e-mail is [email protected]

I'm seriously considering getting this beast, as big game hunting with airguns is allowed in Arizona, only a couple hundred miles from me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyEuKtPGrng

Marcella, we used to go out at night and spotlight jackrabbits with rimfires. My uncle would let my cousin and I take the old 39 GMC pickup out in the wheat stubble strips and we would take 15 or 20 every time. Sold them to the mink farm and got 50cts for blacktails and 35cts each for whitetails. One winrer we got over 350 rabbits and thought we were rich!
[email protected]
Looking forward to chatting with moreb

American Air Arms says their guns are regulated on their site. Their larger caliber slug guns put out more than 200fpe. That would be where I would start if the goal was a regulated 200fpe+ gun. 

The other regulated big bore I know of are all less than 200fpe out of the box.

The reality is that most 200fpe+ air guns do not get enough shots per fill for regulators to be a priority. The most powerful air rifles like the Extreme Big Bores get just 2 or 3 shots per fill. 

Regulators are usually used to smooth the shot curve over a longer shot string and wider range of fill pressures. You can use an external regulator with most big bore air rifles if you use a teathered set-up. Then you would get enough shots for the reg to matter.

Another option is to buy a regulated big bore that has less than 200 fpe and try running it on helium. My bet would be that it has the potential to push some of those 150fpe air guns up past 200fpe. 

The market for extreme big bore air guns is currently is small percentage of an already fairly small market. The main issue I see for them in America is that they can only be used in places where you could use a firearm and firearms are easily available for everyone except people with felony convictions. For scenarios where I need 200fpe+, I would probably choose a firearm as the right tool for the job. 

I like air guns specifically because they offer less power, noise and range, so I can use them in my backyard. 

With that said, I could see demand for that kind of air gun growing in future as firearms become more regulated and ammo costs go up. The restrictions in states like NY and CA have already created opportunities for air guns that have not been capitalized properly yet imo. 

zebra, as always, good skinny! Thanks for the extremely comprehensive and detailed response! It is greatly appreciated :). The American Air Arms .308 Slayer delivers almost 200 ft# regulated, but I see what you mean about the shot count. I think I'll just stick with my FX Impact .30 for small game with 40+ regulated shots per fill @ 75+ ft# (and field-swappable bottles), and maybe get the Umarex Hammer for big game. I really like the stealth of airguns compared to firearms. Even though the Hammer delivers over 700 ft# of regulated energy; Umarex claims, with its proprietary moderation system, that it is actually backyard friendly. And even though the Hammer delivers only three regulated full-power shots per fill, it does have field swappable bottles; and besides, six shots (with a spare bottle) is plenty when hunting big game. And since I have a 75 cuft Omega tank and an Omega air compressor, I have a lifetime supply of propellant! I gotta say, I'm really getting into this airgunning thang, much more than I ever did firearms!

"marcella69"zebra, as always, good skinny! Thanks for the extremely comprehensive and detailed response! It is greatly appreciated :). The American Air Arms .308 Slayer delivers almost 200 ft# regulated, but I see what you mean about the shot count. I think I'll just stick with my FX Impact .30 for small game with 40+ regulated shots per fill @ 75+ ft# (and field-swappable bottles), and maybe get the Umarex Hammer for big game. I really like the stealth of airguns compared to firearms. Even though the Hammer delivers over 700 ft# of regulated energy; Umarex claims, with its proprietary moderation system, that it is actually backyard friendly. And even though the Hammer delivers only three regulated full-power shots per fill, it does have field swappable bottles; and besides, six shots (with a spare bottle) is plenty when hunting big game. And since I have a 75 cuft Omega tank and an Omega air compressor, I have a lifetime supply of propellant! I gotta say, I'm really getting into this airgunning thang, much more than I ever did firearms!
That's probably the right decision. One of the things you see when hunting with air guns is what it really takes to drop game and it's considerably less than some of the legal minimum limits imposed by some states.

There are guys on the forums who successfully hunt hogs with a 22 PCP gun and well placed head shots. I would have no issue hunting whitetail with a .30 and some good heavy hollow points if the laws allowed it in the state you are in.

In states where they impose 1000fpe minimum lower limits, the only way to get there with an air gun is an extreme big bore and helium. I would just use a firearm in that scenario though. An unshrouded air gun at 1000 fpe will be as loud as firearm anyway.

btw, you can fill your Impact (or any PCP gun) with helium for more power. It will increase the noise and reduce the number of shots per fill but, as you said, you can carry a spare bottle. You could keep one full of air and the other helium for different occasions...

JUST FOR THE RECORD

There may be a few niche manufacturers experimenting with helium, however most Airgun Manufacturers DO NOT support filling PCP airguns with anything other than compressed air. It can be very dangerous and lead to serious injury or even death. Which would means, more rules, restrictions, & regulations. And thats the last thing we want associated with our beloved sport. 

"marcella69"Michael, I'm sure you mean compressed air, not oxygen (air is only 16% oxygen). Compressed oxygen would be much more dangerous than compressed helium; as helium is non-combustible, while oxygen is highly combustible.
Ooops that is correct. I meant to type compressed AIR.

I will edit my post so there is no confusion.

Please NOTE:... for Use on RAW Air Rifles NEVER USE HELIUM ... AND ... A B S O L U T E L Y .. NEVER USE OXYGEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Use of Oxygen can Cause COMPRESSION Ignition....(AKA an EXPLOSION).. it is HIGLY DANGEROUS....
Refer to the users Manual...for proper filling method.

​ONLY Use CLEAN DRY AIR,
 Nitrogen is a Acceptable Alternative....

If you have any questions
Contact me or then Main office.

RAW Phx office
Mark