200 ft# regulated PCP

"marcella69"Yes, Bruce54; I saw that. Unreal. That's why I'm flabbergasted that (to my knowledge) there is not a production air rifle that delivers a regulated 200 ft# that pushes a regular .25 or .30 cal. bullet with a good BC. I would think the demand for such a weapon would be off the charts!
I would think it is impossible for a .25 or .30 to come close to 200fpe output! That would have to be some serious valve work with a barrel long as the great wall of China!

Agreed Marcella, we are all waiting to see the ammo first.
If the pictures I've seen of the bullets are what they seem. Then the Sabots are attached to their proprietary ammo and that will ruin the BC.
Only time will tell I guess.
For now I'm going to keep working on my kits to sell for the Bulldog and keep my fingers crossed for the hammer.

"marcella69"Yes, Bruce54; I saw that. Unreal. That's why I'm flabbergasted that (to my knowledge) there is not a production air rifle that delivers a regulated 200 ft# that pushes a regular .25 or .30 cal. bullet with a good BC. I would think the demand for such a weapon would be off the charts!
The demand is certainly there. It's the number of demands that prevents production of new toys at a price point most of us would consider affordable. As the sport grows, at-home modder's arise and develop the cool new things that everyone expects/demands now. Initally there was low supply and variation with high prices. It wasn't really that long ago that you had to either head to your garage and build your own bigbore or get someone else to head to their garage and build it for you. Eventually awareness grew of a sector of the public that is willing to drop a large chunk of money on an bigbore and soon there are things like the Benjamin Bulldog, Texan SS and Umarex Hammer. We are just in the middle of the last transition right now. Even more new things will be showing up soon if we all spend our money like good little girls and boys, otherwise there is no incentive for manufacturers to continue. You should probably purchase one or several of the bigbores that you have been considering, ya know, so you're doin' your part.

Adam:
I concur with your argument. The airgun market is on a steep innovation curve, much like that of firearms back in the day. As state legislatures are more willing to allow hunting with airguns, and the word is getting out to the public as to the high performance of modern airguns; I believe that the industry will be turning out amazing products that can rival firearms in many ways.

I am a recent convert from firearms to airgunning, and am certainly a true believer when it comes to the stealth, power, and accuracy of air-powered weapons. I recently purchased an FX Impact .30 with all the accoutrements (spare mag & bottle, Omega tank, Omega compressor, Chrony, Primos Trigger Stick tripod, Hawke Sidewinder scope, rangefinder, field binoculars, etc., etc., etc.). I am an active small game hunter and am taking more game with my Impact than I ever did with my Mossberg 12 gauge; without the violence, noise, and clean-up. (Not to mention not biting into a shotshell shot I missed when butchering!)

I am excited about the Umarex Hammer for big game. (Although my home state of California allows only small game to be taken with airguns.) Hopefully, with the new Trump administration that is business-friendly and serious about reducing burdensome regulations, start-up companies will spring up around the land delivering all those wonderful goodies we love so much!

TheLakeRat:

Although I grew up in the hunting culture and was a gunner's mate in the Navy, I must admit that I need to bone up on the ballistic science of the sub-sonic atmosphere of airguns. Perhaps I am missing something in the propriety of stabilizing bullet flight at sub-sonic speeds. If that is, in fact, a physics issue; I still don't see the nonfeasibility of pushing, say a 40 or 50 grain bullet at 1,300 or 1,500fps to generate 200ft# or so (commensurate with a .22 LR Hi-Vel). And even though at those velocities we're now dealing with sonic boom; since we're dealing with non-firearm weapons, legal noise moderation without special permit should not be an issue. At any rate, I am excited about the rapid rate of innovation in the airgunning industry.

I am interested in learning more about your Bulldog kits (full performance specs). I was a huge fan of the Bulldog until I saw it was not regulated.

Adam and Marcella69-
Well said, gentlemen! I'm new to airgunning (almost 2 yrs) and got my first pcp about a year ago. What caught my attention was that l had the ability to hunt small game and pests in places that,even with rimfire or shotgun, i couldn't begin to get access to. The new developments in all aspects of airgunning are exciting to me and I am almost driven to catch up and learn all that I have missed. My budget doesn't allow me to sample some of the toys that I am learning about but it (airgunning) has really put a spark in this old man's daily life! The pleasure that I get from being able to silently make a clean headshot on a bunny @60 yds is just as good as it gets.

Bruce54:

You and I are simpatico. I am definitely a Yankee in King Arthur's Court down here on the border in SoCal, being a displaced redneck from Appalachia! I've long since thought that even the low end of power with firearms was still way more powerful than was needed even with small game. Airguns provide a more reasonable power range in the no man's land between .22 LR and BB gun that precludes a lot of the backdrop and noise issues, while still delivering plenty of power to get the job done. It's like watching President Trump on the TV every day; there's always something new and entertaining every day in the airgun market! I gotta say, I'm diggin' the airgun scene way more than I ever did the firearm thang.

Marcella-
I grew up on the eastern plains of Wyo. and Colo. during the 50's and 60's and a big portion of our meat came from what we hunted for . We couldnt afford to eat the beef or hogs we raised as they were a cash crop just like the wheat we raised. My shooting experiences were based on production and I didn't waste too much time and ammo on targets or ballistics research. If the load knocked down the game, that was good enough for me. Not So with airguns! Now I am learning all the science and physics and ballistics and the.......! My mind is having a hard time keeping up with what I find on the internet.
After a year of playing with a Disco, I am ready to take the next step and get a gun with a little more capability. Brain says"FX Royale 500", but budget says " Marauder .25". I like to fiddle a lot, so what do you think of my choice?

Bruce54, you could be my twin. I'm five years behind you (NOV59), but I grew up in rural Pennsylvania on a farm and hunted since I was 12. Airgunning requires more knowledge of ballistics than firearms, for sure, due to the sub-sonic characteristics and low BC. I believe that airgunning has made me a better marksman because of this. (The high BC and velocity of firearms forgive a lot of shooting sins!)

I am amazed at how little I know about ballistics, given my background! It is fascinating though, and I'm deriving as much (if not more) pleasure from that aspect as I am the hunting! Here's a great free software package for airgunners that is remarkably reliable in the field: http://www.hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html