20 steps and 24 steps linear power wheel models for the FX Crown

Hi all, 

One of our local designers -Crown shooter himself- some weeks ago came up with various modelling of an alternative linear hammer spring wheel for the FX Crown.

Danny Ouwehand Crown wiel5.1634714684.png

various modelling new Crown wheel.1634714712.jpg

Reacting to a topic on a Dutch forum, he designed and produced not one wheel model, but 3 at once.

All three wheels with their varying technical specifications for specific use, depending on whether you re shooting .177 sub12 , a .30, or anything in between. At the same time all of those 3 technically varying structures made available in “9 faces”. Shown below.

lineair wiel keuze maken.1634714822.jpg

Didn't have to think twice and ordered all three variations. Resin printed they may be, they however look astonishingly ‘sturdy’ and durable. Very sharp detailed make out also.

Some design drawnings of the 3 wheels of my choosing.

lineair wiel1.1634715075.jpeg
lineair wiel2.1634715096.png
lineair wiel3.1634715106.jpeg

This is how detailed the real thing looks.

Danny Ouwehand Crown wiel.1634715196.jpeg
Danny Ouwehand Crown wiel2.1634715213.jpeg

All looks very promising and fine tuning with these wheels apparently makes a lot of difference, But still have to try them out myself.

I ll get to it as soon as the dreary weather will allow my chrony some of the slight sunshine it needs to work at its best.

Danny Ouwehand Crown wiel3.1634715509.jpeg

This was just discussed 2 days ago by the original Impact wheel designer, so this is either really bad form! Or bad timing! Either way, I won’t support it, wow! Just wow👎🏼

Thank you for your premature judgement.
Do note i m not looking for your support Jason. Merely sharing, while hoping to contribute in a field where i have been looking around in recent months trying to find an alternative for the Crown factory wheel.

Do equally note what was clearly stated above :

One of our local designers -Crown shooter himself- some weeks ago came up with various modelling of an alternative linear hammer spring wheel for the FX Crown.

You did in fact read : 'some weeks ago' and not 2 days ago? or did you not ?

What exactly was discussed 2 days ago? these 3 different designs for the Crown wheel ? Could you at least provide a link, clarifying the nature of your negative judgement?

As i m not a designer myself, I contacted the designer of the Impact-wheel, Mrshosted , some 6 months ago. He then politely replied he wasn t looking at the crown due to lack of time. And i haven't heard from him since. 
So i ve been since looking around for others able and willing to make a linear wheel fitting the Crown.

For your and other people's information, one last thing that might interest you, Jason-thumbs-down :
Just found out yesterday a fellow Crown-shooter of ours buying his 2nd Crown in 3 weeks time, went to his gun store (in the Netherlands) and got put in his hands a Crown MKII with a different hammer spring wheel on it than on the MKII he had bought only a few weeks before :

20211019_204057.1634738429.jpg

Indeed much to his surprise (and mine), FX has also already updated its last shipped Crowns with a 24 steps power wheel.

Just guessing you won t be 'supporting' FX and their new power wheel update either, Jason? 
In the meantime please note i myself am supporting anyone sharing useful information and contributing to the sport.
Inviting you to consider the same. :thumbs up: 

(Y) :-bd

Should anybody besides Jason know anything about what was discussed on the Crown wheel 2 days ago, please provide a link. Thx. 

---

Addition :

After repeated use of the search function, finally found this :
https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/whos-interested-in-a-19-step-power-wheel-for-the-crown/?referrer=1
Mrshosted planning to make his own version of a 19 step power wheel for Crown.

By all means go for it.
We can only learn from it when comparing it with both the updated FX factory wheel, and the 3 different designs mentioned in the topic start.

This is no rocket science stuff, just a wheel with ramp vs factory oval. Whoever makes a better product wins. Competition is a win for all of us if OP decides to sell the wheels commercially. 

I have @Mrshosted power wheel on my impact but honestly there are many areas that could be improved. Hope OP’s friend can make a even better version in aluminum and with better makings like illustrated out of box! Can’t wait to see them! 

This is no rocket science stuff, just a wheel with ramp vs factory oval. Whoever makes a better reoccur wins. Competition is a win for all of us if OP decides to sell the wheels commercially. 

I have @Mrshosted power wheel on my impact but honestly there are many areas that could be improved. Hope OP’s friend can make a even better version in aluminum and with better makings like illustrated out of box! Can’t wait to see them!

+1

I too have one of Mont’s wheels for the Impact, and I will happily support him when he goes for a Crown Power Wheel. However there is no reason that someone else shouldn’t try to develop their own version!

This is no rocket science stuff, just a wheel with ramp vs factory oval. Whoever makes a better reoccur wins. Competition is a win for all of us if OP decides to sell the wheels commercially. 

Well qball,

It may for some not be rocket science stuff as you put it, but one at least has to be handy enough to do it.

Furthermore, i only own a common filament printer, not a resin printer. And for this kind of very small details designed stuff, a resin printer is a requirement. So i m leaning towards ‘more qualified’ people i know (who at the same time have the skills ánd own a resin printer).

Annex : tip for owners of Wildcat MKIII

Bit off topic perhaps, but to wrap up the story, it may be of interest to Wildcat III shooters to know that the above mentioned designer has also developed a 12-step powerwheel as an alternative for the 7-step Wildcat factory wheel.

In his most recent post on a Dutch airgun forum, the designer says anyone wanting the printing file is welcome to mail him for it.

wildcat wheel1.1634750324.jpg
Custom FX Wildcat wheel2.1634750345.png

Custom FX Wildcat wheel3.1634750361.jpeg

+1

I too have one of Mont’s wheels for the Impact, and I will happily support him when he goes for a Crown Power Wheel. However there is no reason that someone else shouldn’t try to develop their own version!

Haha! Well put! 👍🏻 Totally agree! Just didn’t care for the irony. But someone’s kinda butt hurt? 🤔 

@Ex.Magnum: nice work but filament printer should get your prototype close enough, don’t really need the nasty resin printer unless you are thinking about producing final product with plastic. Fortunately it being a wheel it’s one of the easiest shape to create in software like fusion 360 or solidworks. Once the prototype is good enough then pretty easy to put the cad file in an email for a machine shop. Aluminum would be ideal and relatively easy to find a shop to machine and anodize for you. If there is enough volume it’s pretty inexpensive but not sure about these days. In fact with the right filament/material you might even be able to produce these wheels on your filament printer. 

You are right about someone has to spend time/effort to do it. I certainly am too lazy especially when the stock wheel is adequate. It’s a nice to have but not need to have but don’t mind support AGN member inclined to make something neat. 

@Ex.Magnum: nice work but filament printer should get your prototype close enough, don’t really need the nasty resin printer unless you are thinking about producing final product with plastic.

Thx for your reply, qball. Notice you mentioning "your design".

Just to be on the clear side :
None of the above designs are mine. A guy called ' Danny56 ' has drawn everything and put it on 2 Dutch fora, announcing that anyone wanting the print files of one of his designs, only need to ask for it. So far he has shown no desire of producing his designed power wheels in large numbers with the intention to sell them off. He only resin-prints them for local shooters explicitely asking for his creations.

I ve asked for all of his 3 Crown linear power wheel models and i will soon be trying them out for different Crown calibers (as soon as the weather clears). Should one of these 3 power wheels suit me better than the newly made FX factory wheel, i will indeed consider taking that resin model to a befriended acquaintance running a metal machine shop. However i do have to say that the wheels Danny has sent me are made up of really hard material, much harder than i anticipated.

de 3 bestelde knoppen - onderkant.1634841414.jpeg

Well well, I didn't expect this kind of enthousiasm😁.

I have designed these wheels for the Crown because nobody did yet. Made them from scratch. It's an hour work to design them and a few testprints to make it fit perfect.

You can only make this on a resinprinter because you need a 50micron resolution.

I have made some 40 pieces to give away on the range. Just like I normally do with these things. The wildcat wheels also seems to become favorite because you can also use it on the maveric? Anyway the printers are running all day. 

Ik make them from liqcreate toughX material. This is one of the strongest resins available. I have used them on my own guns for some time now and they seem to hold up just fine. Regular resin should be fine too I guess....

Just send me a dm when you want to use the file. The file is free of charge😊

Happy shooting! Sorry for the bad english✌

I have installed Danny’s 1mm wheel in my Wildcat MK3 and is works perfect , looks perfect and finally does what I wanted my powerwheel to do in the first place. The big deal is that with Danny’s powerwheel you have 12 steps to shift within 1 or 2 mm hammerspring tension variation whilst the original Powerwheel gives you appr. 3.5mm in 7 steps. 
I can now with far narrower precision fine-tune my Wildcat in order to obtain the perfect speed and harmonics once I have tuned my Wildcat for a given ammunition “on the knee”. Having tuned a riffle “on the knee” only a few fps can make groups amazingly narrower or wider . Having a knob available, on the fly (no need for 1.5 hex key) that I can use to get that small variations and make my groups better is fantastic. I even cancelled my FX barrel tuner order because now I have a great method of harmonic tuning from my power wheel ! Highly recommended for all Wildcat M3 and Maverick shooters out there who shoot with mainly 1 weight/ sort of ammunition as I do. ( small variations in weight of pellets, slugs can well be adjusted with the wheel as well of course. Especially with the 2 mm version ) .
Thanks again Danny for the open and kind communication and sending me your product. 

I have installed Danny’s 1mm wheel in my Wildcat MK3 and is works perfect ...

... a guy called 'ladwict' who happens to be a 'wildcat' addict... Now tell me this is merely coincidence... 

(and i still won t believe it )
smiling-face-with-open-mouth-and-smiling-eyes_1f604.png

Thanks again Danny for the open and kind communication and sending me your product.

Friendly guy indeed. And able. 👍

Hi all .... I did also design and print a new dial for my Crown mk1

I designed my dial with circular surfaces in sted of the original design. The circular surfaces in steps withstands the pressure from the small pin bolt better. Also I did max. Variation between max and min. I printer mine in Petg an used it now for 9 month without any problems.

the no. System is done like that in order to get cleget printed letters on the small diameter. If anybody wants the 3d printfiles give me hint.. 
20211029_014553.1635493178.jpg
20211029_014151.1635493179.jpg
20211029_013943.1635493179.jpg
20211029_013643.1635493180.jpg

Reactions: zvslate
Hi all .... I did also design and print a new dial for my Crown mk1

I designed my dial with circular surfaces in sted of the original design. The circular surfaces in steps withstands the pressure from the small pin bolt better. Also I did max. Variation between max and min. I printer mine in Petg an used it now for 9 month without any problems.

the no. System is done like that in order to get cleget printed letters on the small diameter. If anybody wants the 3d printfiles give me hint.. 
20211029_014553.1635493178.jpg
20211029_014151.1635493179.jpg
20211029_013943.1635493179.jpg
20211029_013643.1635493180.jpg

Nice effort no matter what, engfred, but i m gonna stick to the 24 steps linear.

Thanks @Ex.Magnum and @danny5692! Very cool design, sadly I don’t have a resin printer so guess printing it is out but either way very nice design!

By all means very welcome to it, qball. That's also been Danny's motto from the start. 

... Bit strange though 
establishing you to be the only one finding Danny's detailed info useful and usable... 🤣🤣🤣

nerd-face_1f913.1635597593.png

Well well, I didn't expect this kind of enthousiasm😁.

I have designed these wheels for the Crown because nobody did yet. Made them from scratch. It's an hour work to design them and a few testprints to make it fit perfect.

You can only make this on a resinprinter because you need a 50micron resolution.

I have made some 40 pieces to give away on the range. Just like I normally do with these things. The wildcat wheels also seems to become favorite because you can also use it on the maveric? Anyway the printers are running all day. 

Ik make them from liqcreate toughX material. This is one of the strongest resins available. I have used them on my own guns for some time now and they seem to hold up just fine. Regular resin should be fine too I guess....

Just send me a dm when you want to use the file. The file is free of charge😊

Happy shooting! Sorry for the bad english✌

Cool design. Do you think it would work printed on a regular 3d printer using Nylon or PETG?