1965 Sheridan Blue Streak - still goin'

I have owned my Blue Streak since about 1967, and bought it new for $41. Yes, $41. The manufacture date stamp is 1965. I may have bought it in 1966, but it has been a long time...I don't remember, but I may the receipt someplace. It was my prized possession and I can recall making some remarkable shots, when my eyes were a little clearer. Despite owning scoped PCPs today, I decided to rebuild it. I ordered parts from Mac1 and his scope mount too. After rebuilding and refinishing it, I was able to shoot 5 shot groups at 15 yards with the Williams peep sight that stay on about a dime. Not too shabby. I was anxious to see how it would shoot with a scope, and mounted a 2.5-16x Bushnell. The scope is somewhat large for this little airgun, but it has a lot of adjustment and is lighter than many scopes available today. With 6 pumps and JSB pellets it is putting 5 shots on an aspirin at 15 yards. It also shoots Baracuda's very well, but the JSB has the edge. I also shot cylindrical 5mm Sheridans from 1970, the current cylindrical 5mm Sheridan pellet, old Sheridan diabolo's made in about 1970,.20 Premiers, and H&N field target trophys. The JSBs win hands down followed closely by the Baracudas. I have shot 5 shot groups under .075" with the scope. Velocity is 600 fps +/- 3 or 4 fps. Velocity would be somewhat higher at lower altitude. I tried fewer and more pumps up to 8 pumps, but accuracy is best with 6 pumps. Despite being 50 years old, it is remarkably accurate and consistent. For those that don't know, the airgun body and barrel are made from brass, and the barrel is soldered to the main tube. There are no plastic parts on this old timer. I imagine it shoots better than many airguns made today costing 10 times its price, and is older than many readers of this website. It was made in the U.S.A too. Still goin'.

Reactions: MEC17670
Yeah, the old pellet guns are surprisingly good, compared to modern equivalents. I can't wait to see how well my Crosman 160 shoots when I get'er done! It's as old as I am, & I'm 60. The only sort of plastic in it is the Butt plate. The old guns shoot well & aren't as heavy as the new ones. My Winchester 1400CS is 9lbs/scope. The Crosman 160 is maybe 4.5 without the scope. I'll be putting the Winchesters 3-9x32 scope on the 160. Here's to all the old timers showin' how good they still are!

Got mine in '63, on recommendation of a friend who said it would go lengthwise through a rabbit. He would know. Early in my marriage it turned off an annoying searchlight outside of our bedroom, later communicated with the blue jays to stop harassing my (murderous) cat. 
Let it alone for years, got it out last year & the seals leaked. Through the Miracle of Pellgun Oil it shoots again, how well I can't tell you. I dunno - should I be using RWS silicone oil instead?
Did get some JSB's for it, thanks for the suggestions Mssrs. Gaylord and bobseagles

"JCKelly"Got mine in '63, on recommendation of a friend who said it would go lengthwise through a rabbit. He would know. Early in my marriage it turned off an annoying searchlight outside of our bedroom, later communicated with the blue jays to stop harassing my (murderous) cat. 
Let it alone for years, got it out last year & the seals leaked. Through the Miracle of Pellgun Oil it shoots again, how well I can't tell you. I dunno - should I be using RWS silicone oil instead?
Did get some JSB's for it, thanks for the suggestions Mssrs. Gaylord and bobseagles
I'd stick with pellgun oil, I brought back one of my streaks by putting in a new pump cup-it holds great now. By the way, always store with one or two pumps in it and that will help keep the seals strong. Here's one I brought back from the dead with the help of my son- As it came to me:

Found a box of parts for sale which had a stock:

And put a red dot on it