.177 VRS .22 HW 30

177 VRS 22 CAL IN THE HW 30.. WHAT CAL WOULD YOU PIC OVER THE OTHER IN THIS GUN.... WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT SPEEDS AND MODS YOU ALL HAVE DONE TO INCREASE ITS PERFORMANCE... AND WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO MAKE IT SHOOT SMOOTHER.

I HAVE HERD GREAT THINGS ABOUT THIS GUN... FROM WHAT I GATHER ITS THE HIGEST QUALITY LOW POWERED SPRINGER OUT THERE.

LETS HEAR FROM ALL YOU HW30 LOVERS OUT THERE ON THEESE GREAT GUNS.

.177 for sure. Mine loves most JSBs up to 10.34 grains. Shoots polymags very well too. It's my house perimeter keeper. Takes care of rodents at closer ranges, like chipmunks, mice, even squirrels with good placement. 

As for mods. Frankly, I did throw a Vortek spring in mine, but the difference was marginal. It is the only thing I have done to it. Love that little gun. 

I have a .177 and it's very smooth and accurate thanks to a tune by Motorhead. It shoots just about everything well, but excels with H&N Finale Match 7.87gr, 4.5mm wadcutters. It shoots the Gamo Redfires accurate to 25 yards and I have taken several squirrels with head shots. I'm getting just over 7 1/2 fpe with it. It's a joy to shoot. very light weight and balanced. I have a cheap 4X Hammers scope on it and that's it needs for the distance I shoot with it.

i have experience with one in .22 it was doing 480 fps with jsb 16 grain...well over 8 foot pounds.... seems like most current 177 rifles are doing about 5.5 to 6 foot pounds.i have read of some doing close to 7 foot pounds in .177 but that is rare...

so in saying that would you guys rather a hw 30 in 22 cal doing 8.5 foot pounds or a 177 at 6 foot pounds as that seems to be about max for most 177 in this gun

I have actually thought of getting a second one. I would still get it in .177. If I wanted more power, I would pick up an HW50.

the hw50 is way harder to cock that's the down side of the hw 50 and not much more power... the hw30 I was using was putting 11.9 grain at 560 fps 22 cal.

the speed is right up there on the heels of the hw 50 but the hw 30 is almost half that cocking effort... just something to think about

My .22 HW30s shoots JSB RS (13.4gr) around 545 fps. It’s a nice shooter but I regret getting the .22 version. I think a .177 would be a sweeter little shooter. That said it drops the hammer on dairy rats with fat wadcutters.

that is a very very powerful hw30 in 22 cal.... have you modded it with a spring kit.

the hw 30 I was using was getting about 555 ish with rws 11.9 grain

one thing about the 22.. it mght be slower starting off but the 22 is going about the same fps as the 177 at 30 yards.

a 177 going at 700 fps 7.8 grain slows down a hell of a lot quicker than a 480 fps 16 grain.

I have a HW50 in 22 that has been tuned. I dont find it hard to cock at all. Not sure if that is a byproduct of tuning? It is a bit front-heavy for my liking, but I do love the gun, and practice with it regularly. It weights 8.7lbs with scope and lightweight moderator. But feels much heavier than my 9.5lb pcp due to the weight distribution. Maybe I will get a Hw30 in .177 But am afraid it might be a bit on the small side for me.

It does sound like you want the .22 and it sounds like it shoots at a fairly decent speed. If you want it, get it!

I own a HW50S in 22 cal. Shoots the H&N Greens 9.65 gr very accurately and hard. I agree with Long Gun Dallas in that the 50 isn’t hard to cock at all. If you look at the Pyramid Air web site the Hw30 cocking effort is 18 lb where as the 50 is 24 lb. 

I owned a Hw30 and it was very accurate and should you buy one I would recommend the 177 cal. I found that the heavier the pellet the more arch and you would need to use your mil dots more if you wanted to hit anything. I didn’t use mine for any pesting as it was too unreliable, a 🍋 and frankly I really couldn’t get close enough to guarantee a clean kill. If you are looking for a back yard plinker or short range pester the Hw30 in 177 cal is imo definitely the way to go. Good luck.

Gary