177...talk me out of it

I have a couple of springers, both in 22 caliber. I mostly target shoot, but occasionally shoot-as much as it pains me, to remove Starlings and House Sparrows that are found harassing my nesting Bluebirds and Tree Swallows. I’d love to have Purple Martins, but that’s another story. I’m thinking about getting a Springer in 177. For my needs that makes good sense, yes? I don’t have any interest in a PCP

A sub 12fpe .177 is what I recommend. I have a 17fpe .177 and domed pellets pass through birds at 40 yards, and wadcutters don't give me the required accuracy past 20 yards. Closer shots are taken with a 7fpe .177 2400KT or HW30 shooting wadcutters.

Because of the pass throughs, I've been thinking about using my 15fpe .22 at 40 yards.

(40yds is the distance from my bench to the far feeders)

Do you want something lower powered for reasons of safety? If so, then something like an HW30s in 177 might fit the bill. But even in a 6 ft-lb gun maximum range might surprise you. I have the same problem with house sparrows you do. This year I am going to try a portable feeder tray with built in backstop to draw them in and make it possible to take a safe shot. I may even make it so it can be temporarily attached to the birdhouse posts. All is fair play when it comes to the sparrows. They have killed several of my swallows over the years.

Do you want something lower powered for reasons of safety? If so, then something like an HW30s in 177 might fit the bill. But even in a 6 ft-lb gun maximum range might surprise you. I have the same problem with house sparrows you do. This year I am going to try a portable feeder tray with built in backstop to draw them in and make it possible to take a safe shot. I may even make it so it can be temporarily attached to the birdhouse posts. All is fair play when it comes to the sparrows. They have killed several of my swallows over the years.

Always amazes me how accurate Weihrauch is.

Something different Iornox. Buy a couple of metres of bird wire, the half inch variety. Make a square box out of the wire, 1 metre by 1 metre and about eight inches high. Cut a 5 inch diameter circle in the top middle of the wire box. Then make a funnel the same size as the circle you cut out and position it so the bottom of the funnel is at least 2 to 3 inches off the bottom of the wire box.

You now have a sparrow and starling bird trap. Place pieces of bread at inside extremities of the wire box. Saves spending on another rifle and pellets.

When I was a young boy we would get a bounty of 2 pennies for a sparrow head off the council. We would catch all the sparrows in the neighbourhood then move our traps to the parks and school ovals on the weekend. The birds would try to escape at the extremities of the trap and not think of coming back to the middle.

Gary

Something different Iornox. Buy a couple of metres of bird wire, the half inch variety. Make a square box out of the wire, 1 metre by 1 metre and about eight inches high. Cut a 5 inch diameter circle in the top middle of the wire box. Then make a funnel the same size as the circle you cut out and position it so the bottom of the funnel is at least 2 to 3 inches off the bottom of the wire box.

You now have a sparrow and starling bird trap. Place pieces of bread at inside extremities of the wire box. Saves spending on another rifle and pellets.

When I was a young boy we would get a bounty of 2 pennies for a sparrow head off the council. We would catch all the sparrows in the neighbourhood then move our traps to the parks and school ovals on the weekend. The birds would try to escape at the extremities of the trap and not think of coming back to the middle.

Gary

What is wrong with you? Man had a vision of buying another rifle, found a good reason, probably he is going to show this thread to his wife to justify the vision! And you are trying to talk him out of this idea? ;-) Ironox, Just buy another rifle ;-)

Talk you out of one?? Never...lol. Everyone should have at least one .177 for plinking, target shooting or if you want a real test, shooting paint balls off golf tees without breaking the golf tee. Already been said above and I'll +2 the recommendation, HW30s. If you're only going to have one, THAT'S the one. A gun you teach your kids or grandkids to shoot with and someday pass down to one of them.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw30s-air-rifle/

No! don't need a .177 for what you Say,be honest you just want it because you want it,your reasons are not good enough to convince me otherwise. get real ,a .22 is going g to do just as good of a job.......did I talk you out of it?

you asked for help ,I did my part . If that doesn't work how about saving your money for a better air rifle.

There you go my friend,I have experienced you thoughts before,and 40 springers later have come to realize I only needed 10,

I messing with you,honestly just take your time in your decision.

On springers I go HW95 standard or HW77, personally, and scope up with an iron sight backup. I would go .22 for hunting regulations, and kinetic transfer.

You can punch up with a .177 with heavier pellets. .177 has a very flat trajectory.

Some people like .177 and some like .22. I fall into the .22 group, but nothing is wrong with a .177. In my county, you cannot hunt with a .177. So there is that against it. I find more pellets now days at stores for .22, especially in specialized ammo. 

To each their own