.177 Marauder FT - Box to Bench

C7FF861A-D59D-466E-938C-F53673417B29.1635110749.jpeg
1FE37AD4-D732-4270-B0F8-6A5360E2A353.1635110751.jpeg
28593B74-5249-4E16-9E1E-0ABE0BF5E3AC.1635110753.jpeg
74CE4D1D-1F72-4CC5-909B-B27D6C4025A6.1635111831.jpeg
My new Marauder FT.177 with the LW windy no-doodle barrel (😂) came last week (.22 version on the way), so I decided I would take it completely straight from the box to bench, and forego the ritual deconstruction, polish, rinse, shaken not stirred, dash of Hill, new marauder routine...Zero tuning and zero pellet sorting. Chrony was having a bad day too so no numbers to show today. Weather was warm, and really humid, gusty winds. Given the box to bench theme, I grabbed the brown box of 10.5 Domed Premiers and some CPHP 7.9 blister pack wallyworld’s. Shot a few for a rough sight in, Scope is a CT series 5, 3-18 taken off a .22 franken-rauder-pistol-carbine I currently shoot in FT . Set up a 1” sticker target on card stock at 20 for a representative group and caught a nice lull on the wind. While the Olympia Domes, HN FTT in 4 head sizes and FX violet and greens are slated for testing, I promptly increased Crosman’s brown box real estate on my pellet shelves before continuing. More to come with this rifle.

Hello Sqrlhntr, nice shooting out of the box. I am a new airgunner and I have a Benjamin Armada 22. You seem to know the Marauder very well and I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions. I just installed Huma reg that was @105 bar out of the package along with the new filler / pressure gauge. I bumped that up to about 118 bar (1750 psi) and installed. The original fill gauge is reading 2000 psi ( now the reg gauge) and the new tank gauge is reading 160 bar (2320 psi) after a fill with my compressor set at 3000 psi (204 bar). B 4 reg, tank gauge and compressor gauge always matched. All parts are new from Air guns of Az. 

Q1- is the new gauge possibly bad?

Q2- why does the reg pressure seem to be higher than the setting I was looking to have? 

Q3- next mod coming in Nov from Mountain air is a 22 in L/W barrel, what can I do next to achieve competitive accuracy? 

Thanks in advance. Happy gunning!

DUDE! The gun has crosman LW barrel, don't bother with 20 yards because it's god awfully boring! 30 yards is a good start for those guns because the wind will make it a bit more interesting if you use CPHP but with the 10g domes pellets it's still god awfully boring! Then if you use JSB monster redesign it's even god awfully boring to 50 yards. They are so boring I haven't shot my crosman guns with LW barrels in ages. 

EDIT: looking at your CPHP groups at 20 yards, try slower. My 1720T put crosman point and hollow point pellets through the same 177 hole at 20 yards over and over again at 650-700 fps. I know it's me when the two 177 holes aren't touching. 

Because of the faster twist rate of Crosman LW barrel made for target shooting/slower speed, traditional domed pellets don't do well pass 800fps further down range and get frequent flyers. HOWEVER, you might want to give JSB monster redesign, NSA 12.5 and 15 grain a try if you got 100 yards to shoot. 

"RIFLING - The Lothar-Walther barrel 12 lands and grooves (1 in 16 inch twist) and is chocked. Rifling helps turn the pellet fired faster and straighter, which can positively affect both velocity and accuracy. All Barrels come complete with crowning through the Custom Shop"

Hello Sqrlhntr, nice shooting out of the box. I am a new airgunner and I have a Benjamin Armada 22. You seem to know the Marauder very well and I was hoping you could answer a couple of questions. I just installed Huma reg that was @105 bar out of the package along with the new filler / pressure gauge. I bumped that up to about 118 bar (1750 psi) and installed. The original fill gauge is reading 2000 psi ( now the reg gauge) and the new tank gauge is reading 160 bar (2320 psi) after a fill with my compressor set at 3000 psi (204 bar). B 4 reg, tank gauge and compressor gauge always matched. All parts are new from Air guns of Az. 

Q2- why does the reg pressure seem to be higher than the setting I was looking to have? 

Q3- next mod coming in Nov from Mountain air is a 22 in L/W barrel, what can I do next to achieve competitive accuracy? 

If you just turned the screw to the pressure you wanted it won’t be right. Whenever you increase the pressure on the HUMA reg you need to go about 10 bar above what you want to set it at then back it back down to the pressure you want. When you decrease pressure just back the screw down to the pressure you want.
They do need some time to settle in also. 
You may need a lighter hammer with a reg. At the very least you’ll need an ssg or tss to eliminate hammer bounce. Otherwise you’ll probably be wasting air and it won’t be as quiet as it should be.

Qball- yeah, 20yds isnt a fair test in the least but I could not wait with the rifle just staring at me. Ive got the LW pistol barrel grouping dimes at 55 so this should be an interesting rifle for sure. I purchased this for a FT rifle Hunter class so 55 is the max but this is air-gunning. When I pushed the pistol barrel too fast I found exactly what you describe with speed. So far Im impressed with the rifle, jury is still out on the regulator. With the extended distance between valve and gauge port it makes it need a xxl plenum if/when I go to a huma, extra plenum isnt always bad. No doubt when it all breaks in, tuned cleaned and polished barrel, add some Hill and settle on a pellet, etc it will tighten up even more. 

DJin- theres a TON of info on marauders on this site for tuning etc, if the search is working. Even more on the older forums. One thing I will say is each marauder likes what it likes, just a matter of finding it. You can power them up or tune them for a 40 shot/40 fpe performance, all depends on what you want out of it. Shroud tension on one of mine is best finger tight and another one likes it backed off about 1/8” of a turn, again, each has its personality, this is just an example. In regards to accuracy, tune, tune, tune for that pellet. Tune at 20, tune at 36 and tune at 50 then go back to 20 and fine tune, at least thats what I do, about 1/10th of a turn on the HS at a time. All my huma regs are not accurate either, off by a few bars. I swear its a sales technique to sell the tester. PM me if you have issues or questions. 

If you just turned the screw to the pressure you wanted it won’t be right. Whenever you increase the pressure on the HUMA reg you need to go about 10 bar above what you want to set it at then back it back down to the pressure you want. When you decrease pressure just back the screw down to the pressure you want.
They do need some time to settle in also. 
You may need a lighter hammer with a reg. At the very least you’ll need an ssg or tss to eliminate hammer bounce. Otherwise you’ll probably be wasting air and it won’t be as quiet as it should be.

Also a lighter Valve spring possibly. Adding a reg makes it a different gun entirely. Hill sells a 7 spring now that works really well for a reg’d valve.