.177 long may it reign!

Ok guys so I want to give a shout out to my favorite caliber. Now if you asked 8 year old me it was all about 22 but after a few years of shooting pumpers I came to depend on the flatter shooting 177. When I got into springers as a teenager I thought ok now we are talking more power 177 is definitely obsolete...... Well a year later I am back to 177 and enjoying the heavier pellets and ballistics I never dreamed of as a young boy. Well when I got back into airguns in my early 30s I got back into them for the big power pcp's! I recently got a 45 Texan CF. It certainly is amazing! I hope to use it hunting with my dad soon and don't get me wrong I have used and will use 25 cal and 22 cal for hunting and all kind of pesting needs. When it comes to just breaking out the guns and playing with some lead and air I always get out my 177s. I just have to admit it's my favorite caliber and so versatile. I do alot of hunting with it too. As a rat or squirrel gun the 177 is a killer. It would do rabbit well too but where I live they often present themselves at 75 yards or more so 25 cal is the way to go. At any rate I hope that with all the new advances in airgun technology that we never forget the 177 and how awesome it really is. 

Ten years ago when I got into PCPs I was more or less told the 177 was a dyeing caliber, I always shot 177 pumpers and even bought one of the 1st FWB 124 , That was in all about 40 years of air guns, Around 1965 I got to shoot my brothers 20 caliber Sheridan, Now I have three high end 22 PCP and two 25 caliber guns

I have two 177 caliber PCPs a Vulcan #2 in 177 and a Uragan Standerd in 177 Its my go to gun for just fun shooting . It gets about 400 shots per fill of the air bottle, The 177 s have taught me about wind drift.. Knowing what I know about airguns and the power restrictions over the pond the 177 will never die...

Mike

The high shot count and ballistics make the 177 more relevant as ever in today's time. Looking at what people are doing with 177 slugs makes me excited about the future but the standard diabolo pellets are the core of all my systems, heavy pellets for pcp airguns and light ones for my pumpers and some break barrels and I keep buying 177 pcps so I must just have a weak spot for the 177. Didn't realize that until I ended up with so many in my stable. 

The .177 has a lot going for it. I think it would be beat out by the .20, but there's just a massive lack of backing in terms of projectiles, R&D, and guns that shoot it.

I actually only have 1 .177 at the moment, but am working to get a new hw100 barrel (600mm) onto my nova star. Many reports of these new barrels shooting sub moa with nsa 12.5gr's. I expect JSB monster rd's will do well, too. Here's hoping 😎

Here's my one and only ATM. 650fps w/ 8gr, regulated, 50 shots like this in less than 40ccs, super accurate, even hunt with it sometimes, but usually nailing soda cans up to 40yrds out. 
20211201_155115.1647222955.1648018250.jpg

I have an HW 100 in .177, carbine version. I've always loved the rifle, with the only occasional issue being a low shot count. Recently, I decided I wanted something as quiet as possible for shooting in the yard, both targets and squirrels. I've never had a neighbor issue, but since I recently found out it is against local law to shoot an air rifle in the yard, I figured I needed to be as stealthy as possible. So, I undertook tuning the HW 100 down. After turning down the reg a couple of times, and finalizing the HST, I ended up with a well balanced tune at a bit over 11 fpe, shooting the 10.3 JSB at around 700 fps. It is almost unbelievably quiet, thought maybe something was wrong when I first shot it, but the chrono verified the speed. I don't know the shot count, but I haven't filled it since I tuned it over a week ago. Guessing from the gauge movement so far, it's probably around 100. I've killed a few squirrels with it too, they don't know the difference, all clean kills. European rifles such as the HW 100 were all designed around their lower (non FAC) power standards. When you tune it to that level, you can really appreciate the design, and fully enjoy the rifle. We Americans want everything bigger, faster, more powerful, but we're missing out on this one. 

My only issue with the .177 is in handling the smaller pellet, as I already have trouble handling the .22 pellets. Otherwise? Ballistically the .177 has earned its place at the pantheon with the .22. Long live the .177!

The KO 13.43 slugs are very easy to feel the correct position to load. But the pellets are a bit harder, I would need my reading glasses. Also they shoot great from 730-950 FPS. On calmer days I shoot @75yrds with outstanding results with the gun set on low power 730. But these results are with the pulsar hp. And the nsa slugs work well also.

I have never owned anything but .177 airguns. I've shot and enjoyed larger caliber guns but when it comes to what I want to own, I keep buying .177. If I get farther out in the sticks on a larger piece of property, I would want some .22s and .25s. My current yard accommodates a 55yd target range and any pesting will happen inside of that. Plinking and pesting inside of 55 yards is solid ground for .177, IMO.

I definitely want to get a 12 fpe AA s510 one day in .177. I love the wood stock and traditional style. The hw 100 is a nice rifle but not really my style. I could see myself getting a bsa instead tho. I love the history of the company and if they ever made a pcp replica of the British 303 SMLE I would literally fly to Europe to pick one up if I had to. That would be one hell of a conversation piece. I love going to the range and having people double take and say WTF is that!?!?!? I have turned more than a few folks to the dark side just by starting conversations at the range. 

.177 gets the most use by a long shot in my ramblings. 

I think it's a superior caliber for most all springers, just fits better with their power levels.

The widest selection of pellets of all the calibers is another huge plus. Helps these days with the scarceness of ammo. You can usually find something to shoot. 

For hunting I've found the .177 to be plenty fine. It's all about penetration anyway with the power levels of most guns.

The .177s would be the last to leave from my arsenal. No doubt about that.