.177 KO 13.4 gr slugs for FT

Been trying out the .177 JSB 13.4 grain slugs in my Daystate Pulsar standard for Hunter Class FT. They shoot at about 790 FPS. Any more than that seems to strain the gun and it doesn’t sound or feel “in tune”. Here’s a ten shot group with them at 50 yards wind about 11 mph from my 10:30. Right around 1/2 inch C2C. They drift about half as much as the .177 RD Monster 13.4 grain. 

D0894363-8862-4913-B565-40279D690947.1632009857.jpeg
6D33000F-D7B2-4387-83C3-A2D702C49EE3.1632009857.jpeg

Those little things are wicked. I grabbed some a few weeks ago when they first landed over here (got 'em from UA) and have been running them out of my RTI - *stupid* accurate! ( lol ) See this. I've already taken a ton of pigeons with them at some of my farm permissions - I took out a starling at 80 yards yesterday on my way home from work at one of the permissions. 

That’s a nice group. That looks like an attached bi pod. What kind of groups do you get from an actual HFT position?

Yes, it’s an attached bipod. Don’t use it for FT but still leave it attached. Groups from bucket and sticks only slightly larger. I was zeroing and checking wind dope and wanted to remove any inaccuracy factors, so I was shooting prone for that ten shot group in the wind. 

I am getting very good results with the JSB KO 13.43 gr even at low velocities in my Daystate RW and DW .177 HP 
1f44d.svg
1f642.svg
1f642.svg

Nice shooting, Centercut !!
1f642.svg
1f642.svg

Thanks! My .177 HP Delta loves them too at 935 FPS. It also loves the .177 RD Monsters at 945 FPS. But it doesn’t like the regular Monsters or the Beasts. ;(

How are they doing at 10, 11, 12 yards? 

Last time I went looking in AAFTA rule books I couldn't find anything excluding slugs. Seems like it just says "pellets" and without the "diabolo" qualifier, the word pellet has a pretty broad meaning. Lots of animal feed is sold in "pellet" form. And then you've got what some animals digestive system turns pellets into (also "pellets)"

So, without saying diabolo shaped pellets, slugs technically fit the broader definition of the word pellet. 

If somebody kicks A with slugs though.....will be interesting to see what's done in the rule books. 

Cole, it’s also very good at 10 to 15 yards. I’m still not totally steady bucket and sticks, plus shooting at 790 FPS the ranging is even more critical, and tough at 16x.

The AAFTA rules say 

“Any design of pellet that is completely made of lead, lead alloy, zinc, zinc alloy, or similar all-metal material may be used”

So most definitely slug shaped pellets are legal. Key word being “ANY”. And both you and Mike N are probably correct, just as they made it so prone wasn’t really feasible when too many shooters were winning in that position, slugs will be outlawed in a rule change. I’m not good enough yet where it’ll make that much of a difference…

That's good that they're doing well at the near distances, cuz you know, gospel truth and all that slugs have to "go to sleep" once they get out there a ways...

Funny that "all-metal" wording, like they really wanted to make sure nobody is using plastic tipped Predator Poly Mags. Given that those aren't quite the first choice of competitive accuracy seekers......I can't follow the logic. 

Yeah they are stupid good, this was my first ten at 50 indoors from a Crown at 820 fps, the 10 grners won’t hit a barn at 25 for me? Best part is they make a starling at 40 totally come apart👍🏻
6301CDBD-B51E-4ACF-9940-6E3F70FC8C42.1632064236.jpeg
Also, for some reason they are very moderator sensitive? Several of mine simply throw them literally feet off? No clipping, even one of my Donny 30 cals won’t shoot them? Very strange. I have never had any Airgun do this? Especially when I have been so oversized, 25 cal huggett was fine or no moderator. Any theories on this? Thanks

That's good that they're doing well at the near distances, cuz you know, gospel truth and all that slugs have to "go to sleep" once they get out there a ways...

Ha! ROFLMAO!!! Go to sleep, now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are…. Old wives love that fantasy….

Oh no, not this again!!! 😉

Stoti

I don’t see how one could outlaw a certain slug, pellet, or bullet. All the pellets and slugs are lead; just a different shape,no?? If you fill in a pellet with lead does it become a slug? Or is it just how you shape the lead projectile that determines its name?

Not a competitive airgunner yet, just a hunter—-please explain.

AAFTA (the rules making body for FT in the USA) would only have to specify "diabolo shaped pellets" in place of the "any" and bingo, no more slugs...

Centercut - that is some great shooting! You have me curious... Would these slugs work in a choked poly barrel, or would they be too tight / lose too much energy?

Yes, they would. They work in my .177 HP Delta Wolf, which has a Polygonal Choked barrel... I shoot them at 935 FPS, so not sure if they are accurate in a poly barrel at slower FT type speeds... In actuality, they only slow down by 10 FPS compared to the same weight pellets, the 13.4 RD Monsters. In my Pulsar above, they slow down about 25 to 30 FPS compared to the same weight pellets.