• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

.177 Avenger has potential ?

BACDE072-85A3-4EAB-8B3E-8625878055D5.1602431601.jpeg
4A639E33-AFB2-426D-ABA7-DF19A7DD30B7.1602431602.jpeg
A97D5750-5DEB-4EB3-92D9-1B46C1B178F5.1602431604.jpeg
823DAA27-BF01-45F0-8681-27535525F184.1602431605.jpeg
93237FF3-2B2E-4010-BD66-6CB892B376D4.1602431606.jpeg
2AAC5194-99D7-4A57-8396-A7358BD627FD.1602431608.jpeg

Got the Avenger .177 I intend to be a loaner HFT rifle last week. Out of the box it was shooting really hot (1005fps) and had a heavy trigger 2lb+. 
Reg came in at 2500 psi. I turned it down per instructions to 1900 to see what that would do. Brought the speed down to 900ish. Still just a tiny bit high for my liking but I'll go back and do some finer tuning later. 
Cleaned the barrel and it was DIRTY. The patches looked to come out rusty(?) 

Did some adjusting of the trigger, again per instructions, and got it to a respectable 1lb 5oz.

Gassed it up and with the scope mounted and the single shot tray in place, and a fresh tin of JSB 10.34 begin to get it sighted in.
Started with 10 shots at 26 yards and did a 50 yard group (brain fart...meant to set it at 55).
The initial testing results clearly shows potential IMO. 
The two flyer shots were on me as a result of yanking the trigger. Just a bit heavier than my BSA but not bad for a $300 gun..

will this gun replace the current selection of accurate and successful HFT guns? Doubt it. However, if someone is wanting to dip their toe into the fun sport of field target with out taking out a second mortgage on their home, I believe this gun will give satisfactory results. And at this price point, if you are a current FT shooter, what a great place to get a friend or relative started going to the range with you. 

Thanks for asking.

I had to hold off these last two weeks with any further testing and set up. I started prepping a AA500 Gen2 I’m wanting to shoot this weekend (10/24/20) at a 90 shot match in Arlington Tx. And the weather has not been cooperating either. 
I’m now waiting on a comma wheel for the scope I’ll be mounting on it so I can range it and make a DOPE card for it. When it arrives next week and we get a couple of decent days, I’ll finish it up.

Remember, my intent is to use it as a HFT loaner.

what I know so far....

as with the other calibers of the Avenger, the reg is set too high. I now have it set at 1200 ish according to the gauge. Surprisingly, the gauges seem to be reasonably accurate even though they are small.Remember, my intent is to use it as a HFT loaner.

It doesn’t appear to be pellet picky and that’s a good thing because I don’t keep a bunch laying around. although it stacks the JSB 10’34’s it also shoots the 13.43’s equally well if not slightly better. I tested both at the same velocity to take that inequality out of the picture. 
The trigger is certainly not match grade but can be set to a decent pound and a half break.

I haven’t done a full shot string and probably won’t as I really don’t need to and for me it would be a waste of pellets. However I did keep track of the number of pellets I used in preliminary testS and the gun will quite easily get a full FT match and then some. If I had to guess, 80 shots are within reason and it wouldn’t surprise me if it went over a 100 from a 300 bar fill to off reg.

The o rings on the bolt were quite dry and a light touch of silicone grease helped make it operate much smoother. And as the pictures illustrate, the barrel was quite nasty. 
I’d highly recommend the Avenger .177 to anyone who is considering a rifle for HFT if they are just wanting something economical or as a starter gun.

More to follow in the upcoming weeks.

We are just now trending out of sub zero temps to rain and wind here in NE Oklahoma. LOL.
And I haven’t spent much time, as much as I need to anyway, to give a definitive set up with proven results. I apologize..
As for optics, for first outing, we mounted a spare Hawke Sidewinder 6-24 first generation. I’m currently testing other optic options such as the Element Helix 6-24, Falcon 3-18i and may entertain putting a scope that was recommended to me by a well know HFT shooter, a Bushnell Engage. 

I hope to be able to get back to prepping it soon. I’m anxious for a friend of mine, who has zero air gun experience, to put it to the test. Right now, I’ve got my hands full prepping my personal HFT rifle as well as a XHFT gun I’ll be taking to Texas in mid March. But I promise I will get have it KZ worthy soon.