• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

166 Yards Offhand AirgunDepot.com Long Ranger Shot with Air Arms S500 XS Xtra

Well this happened yesterday.... 166 yards offhand exploding golf ball shot with the Airgun Depot Long Ranger Challenge! I can't lift my arms this morning from engaging all those small stabilizer muscles over and over, but I hit it! Just being able to ring steel on over 99% of these shots was awesome for me especially in that wind with a storm front rolling in. This Air Arms S500 XS Xtra is .22 is AMAZING Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9olF4bD7TaQ&fbclid=IwAR2rDhNP0kVtH7J-Y0Z0WtKTgrNsSVzAltL-WQL0Id-eTlNm_bfFbsxv0Zs

The Air Arms S500 XS Xtra is living up to the reputation this great company has been known for years. This was the ultimate practice for the Pyramyd Air Cup Field Target event where I will have to shoot at least a few shots offhand. Now that I know that I can hit a golf ball at 166 yards offhand - those small metal animal targets should be no problem! HA! Stay tuned!

Reactions: mmahoney
LOL! Yeah Buddy, that is a tough shot … a small target … a windy day … untrained muscles … but certainly a great rifle. A lot of those shots, if done in one setting, can work their way into your mind which effects your shooting. If I was in that kind of situation, I wouldn't take more than 15 shots at a time. Then I would sit down, contemplate … go over every nick knack of my shooting fundamentals in trying to score on this target … think about something else for awhile … remember how enjoyable the sport is, instead of how frustrating it can be at times. BECAUSE, if you don't, you run the risk of forming a mental block and mental blocks are incredibly easy to form and very time consuming to get rid of. I'm sure you know, the hardest person in the world to beat is yourself. I've seen your other videos … you are good … okay, more than good … you have talent and a gift. You have a lot going for you with your ability to read the wind, but reading the wind correctly wont help much until you and get those muscles in shape to do what you are asking them to do. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all have bad days. Pressure is only pressure, it's yours to do what you want with it. Tomorrow is a new day

Shalom aleichem

John

Wow. That is impressive. I TRULY appreciate your candor in showing the misses and the hit. If only hits are shown people get a completely distorted view of just how difficult a shot like this is. I also love your enthusiasm. It really shows what fun this can be. I love shooting, good days and not so good days. People keep golfing even though most never expect to get a hole in one! The joy is in seeking improvement. If it was easy there would be no reason to try.

It's the perseverance that I truly appreciate, 

When I was shooting target bows there was days that my arms felt like they were going to fall off.

When I started popping X's consistently my arms didn't feel near as sore 

It was mentioned in another post luck plays it's part in winning 100 yard plus comps but a very true comeback was made that practice makes that luck easier to come by

During one season's unusually extreme invasion/infestation of June Beetles I actually got proficient enough at taking them on the wing (flying) with my Red Ryder to do so at about a 5% shot-to-kill rate.

1562947309_10241545125d28aeed3ae0b4.42725941_BB beetles.JPG

Wow. That is impressive. I TRULY appreciate your candor in showing the misses and the hit. If only hits are shown people get a completely distorted view of just how difficult a shot like this is. I also love your enthusiasm. It really shows what fun this can be. I love shooting, good days and not so good days. People keep golfing even though most never expect to get a hole in one! The joy is in seeking improvement. If it was easy there would be no reason to try.

Thanks! I always show my "misses", but I don't see them as misses actually with this long range stuff. Each of them are learning opportunities! What a lot of people don't realize about long range shooting with subsonic airguns and shooting projectiles that have relatively HORRIBLE ballistic coefficients is that after about 50 yards or so you need to become somewhat of a master in predicting the future. The wind wreaks havoc on your POI vs. POA out at these distances. Hold 18 inches left and the wind shuts down between you and the target and you miss 14 inches left even though it is gusting at your shooting position. Hold dead on cross hairs and the wind picks up - you miss 18 inches left. Shooting slugs with a much flatter trajectory and ability to carry energy to get to the target faster makes these kind of shots exponentially easier. To prove this point I went back out with my Texan .257 shooting spitzer slugs at .295 BC vs. the .03 BC JSBs I was shooting in this video and it takes a TON of the wind factor and loopy-ness to the target out of the equation. Stay tuned for that video. The shot is EPIC!

LOL! Yeah Buddy, that is a tough shot … a small target … a windy day … untrained muscles … but certainly a great rifle. A lot of those shots, if done in one setting, can work their way into your mind which effects your shooting. If I was in that kind of situation, I wouldn't take more than 15 shots at a time. Then I would sit down, contemplate … go over every nick knack of my shooting fundamentals in trying to score on this target … think about something else for awhile … remember how enjoyable the sport is, instead of how frustrating it can be at times. BECAUSE, if you don't, you run the risk of forming a mental block and mental blocks are incredibly easy to form and very time consuming to get rid of. I'm sure you know, the hardest person in the world to beat is yourself. I've seen your other videos … you are good … okay, more than good … you have talent and a gift. You have a lot going for you with your ability to read the wind, but reading the wind correctly wont help much until you and get those muscles in shape to do what you are asking them to do. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all have bad days. Pressure is only pressure, it's yours to do what you want with it. Tomorrow is a new day

Shalom aleichem

John

Thanks John! All good point you have made. I played collegiate golf back 20 years ago and I use a lot of the practice techniques we used back then for muscle memory. I would burn through a dozen buckets of balls with just one club targeting the pin at 100 yards with my wedge over - and over - and over again. I got to the point where I knew before impact if it would be good or just a tad off. That for me is the value of the high repetition. The "misses" don't frustrate me at all. It isn't always the end result of the good shot - but identifying what I did wrong in the sequence to be more mindful of that "thing". Breathing - stance - arm position - cheek pressure - how I hold my mouth - how many blinks - was my hat properly squared on my head backwards. HA! It all comes into play.

One thing I would like to pass onto you all about what I am doing is a HUGE recommendation is to DITCH paper targets for doing this kind of stuff. The satisfaction of the ringing of steel each shot - even though I didn't hit the ball gave me a nice little audible positive affirmation you don't get with paper. The fact that I could ring steel over and over and over again at this range was hugely satisfying. 

Lol 2fast , you’re right but some people hit the target alot Quicker than others. My furthest shot on an invasive feathered species is 181 yards ,that’s with a Crosman premier domed pellet . Today I can hit those targets at those distances a lot quicker.A few years back when I started shooting slugs (70 gn .25)slugs I had no long range air gun experience and I did exactly what you stated. If I shot at it long enough I’d get a few hits (1/8th and 1/4 mile) 😂. I was really just guessing . Now that I have a greater understanding of what’s goin on ( range finder,ballistic calculator,and turret tape) I don’t have to guess about anything . Like I said lol 😂 real funny but all bull shipping aside skill is skill !! Have a great day!