16 skunks down in one hour!!

Sorry no scope cam. 

2:00 a.m. at a huge farm cesspool.....they were everywhere! I was more focused on not running into one and I didn't need to be distracted by trying to get footage.

I'll revisit it after sunrise and see if there are more visitors. If so, I'll get some scope cam then. Though I'm probably going to be sick in a few hours from breathing the stench. Happened to me twice before.....I'd be surprised if it didn't happen this time.

Reactions: JimNM
The only varmints I hate more than skunks are raccoons. They look cute 'n cuddly, but they are nasty little f***s! I grew up around a large farm and the farmer relied on his farm cats to control the rats. Well, raccoons will kill cats for sport. Just leave 'em there to rot. I could kinda understand if they ate them, but no. The farmer used to pay me and my brother to shoot them. We would sit up on this hill and blast 'em with our .22lrs all afternoon! An adult air rifle would really of come in handy, but there was nothing like what we have today on the market back then.

1534687249_12537588085b797811a0f670.27484342_IMG_20180819_095915.jpg

No live ones in the pit as of right now....will check back later as they are active around these farms/pastures all day it seems.

Not many things in nature to keep their population under control beside disease . That is where we fill a need. Be it skunks, squirrles, rabbits, sparrows or iguanas, we air gun shooters can make the world a better place for other people. Bob has shown us the way and is a great example of how we can support our sport by helping others. Rabies is a serious threat when the carrier animal is overpopulated.

Good on ya' Bob.

crazy why so many skunks

Thanks Jim!

douger,

I don't know why there are so many in this farm area. After tonight, that brings my total in this area to nearly 40......most of them from this farmyard.

The farmer told me that this time of year when the pit is low that grubs (larvae?) have hatched in the crap and they are attracted to those. But even he was surprised that I got so many in such a short time last night. If I had my way, I'd have stayed in a motel this afternoon and done another all-niter. But I ended the day with a long range woodchuck kill with my 6.5 Creedmoor......I'm very excited about that.

crazy why so many skunks

Thanks Jim!

douger,

I don't know why there are so many in this farm area. After tonight, that brings my total in this area to nearly 40......most of them from this farmyard.

The farmer told me that this time of year when the pit is low that grubs (larvae?) have hatched in the crap and they are attracted to those. But even he was surprised that I got so many in such a short time last night. If I had my way, I'd have stayed in a motel this afternoon and done another all-niter. But I ended the day with a long range woodchuck kill with my 6.5 Creedmoor......I'm very excited about that.

Mice and moles are attracted to grubs and the skunks come for those. If the skunks are pests to the farmer then so be it. All the farmers in my area want the skunks to keep mice, moles and voles under control. I hope you aren't killing just for the thrill. Animals have their job to do... even when they stink like hell.

They don't have skunks in Australia...

https://youtu.be/IOwinLWrEIw?t=9