1389 backpacker steel breech

Forums Springers, Pumpers, C02, & Vintage 1389 backpacker steel breech

• Views : 339
  • Link

Straightshooter
    Participant

Does anyone know of a breech upgrade I can use on this?  The model I have has the swivel out loader that I was never a fan of and would like a bolt action.

Link

spysir
    Participant

Never have seen your model but would think, yes some crosman steel breech (or after market) will fit right on.  I googled for a picture of your breech and it seems like the SSP250 model.  SteveV here on the forums knows some crosman stuff and put a steel breech on a ssp250 for the misses. My understanding is it bolted right on but don't spend any money unless some else thinks it sound right. 

Now "old screw" location breech would seem right (?) but some have both locations.

Might be a slightly different dia. tube on a 1389 vs a 22xx  but if they are I think your in good shape.

John

Link

marflow
    Participant

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Crosman_177_Cal_Steel_Breech_Kit_Fits_1377_1740_1760_PC77_Air_Guns/4386

the question was asked and the answer  was no  from PA

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by marflow.
    Link

Skillet
    Participant

Had it done, yrs back, by the “Crooked Barn”. Looks identical to the one they installed on my 1322, so we know it can be done.

And yup, that cheesy plastic swing out tap blows. A new breech is a great upgrade (especially with a shoulder stock and 14” barrel)

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Skillet.
    Link

Straightshooter
    Participant

I noticed pyramidair has the breech on amazon.  Someone in the reviews said it fit but he had to drill a new transfer port in the barrel.  Would really like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for the responses.

Link

marflow
    Participant

there is some posting that make the breeches fitment a question, I saw one post that said it fit and then the Amazon one and edited my post after reading the question on PA

that pistol shown above how much of the SSP-250 is left, tube down I'm guessing, I have a 250 sitting in a box might have to do some measurements

Link

Straightshooter
    Participant

I was thinking,  if the breech fits and that amazon review said he had to drill a new transfer port in the barrel, wouldn't having 2 transfer port holes cause a loss of air?  

Also, that would mean the transfer port on the new breech would line up with the one on the air reservoir.  I may be able to cut the barrel down eliminating the old transfer port and drill a new one to match.  I'm just afraid of the measurements.  One hair off and it's ruined.  Any thoughts?

Link

Skillet
    Participant

Forgot, but when my 1389 was re-breached I had a longer barrel installed. Barrels aren’t expensive.

Maybe your easiest way to get ur gun right.

About having 2 transfer ports, if the old one is behind the newer, and behind the bolt oring, then your pressure should be contained

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Skillet.
    Link

Straightshooter
    Participant

I do have an extended barrel on it that I purchased from someone here back in 2015.  I was just shooting it shoots great.  I would love this upgrade just dont want to ruin it.  I really hate that loading port.

Link

spysir
    Participant

Marflow,  right, stock SSP250 with an aftermarket breech & crosman barrel. Old screw location fit right on.

John

Link

SteveV
    Participant

John is correct, you need to source a breech with the old screw location, and then use a 22XX barrel. IIRC, the SSP 250 barrel doesn't have a transfer port? 

Link

ranedouglas
    Participant

i had to get that (breakable ) plastic clip and the pellet inserts from bryan and assciates……..i believe baker airguns bought all those crosman parts…  ask them…….  just wanna make sure that breech screw lines up on your newer breech……………that was a weak point on that gun,,,,,lessened accuracy, too…..          paul.        …………uh, someone mentioned the breech screw holes lining up…….they couldve made those crosman  262 and ssp250 clips from aluminum…….. those valves are more powerful , tho 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.