12 fpe gun in the USA?

I've toyed with the idea of getting a very low powered gun for backyard plinking and such. Problem - I'm in the USA and 12 fpe guns aren't heavily advertised and most models that have a 12 fpe derivative aren't availalbe.

I've heard that a Benjamin Fortitude can be detuned to about 12 fpe, but haven't seen anyone actually do it. Real thing holding me back on something like the Fortitude is the trigger. Reports are that it's not too hot.

I do have a Crosman 1701P, but it's setup for target and I really don't want to change it into a carbine. I like it as a pistol.

Any thoughts about a low powered gun for me here in the good old US of A?

A good number of my guns are in the 12 ftlbs range and I actually prefer it. In my yard I can get out to almost 60 yards. I know the distance for all the spots I shoot so holdover isn’t an issue.

the reasons I like it are lower noise, not just the gun but the impact on target. On my older non reged guns the fill pressure is much lower so a scuba fill last much longer. 

I have a Marauder in .177 with a Huma. At 12 it is boringly accurate. As a side effect of the low power the cocking is also really light.

I have a Cricket .22 that is powered down to shoot at only 8.5 FPE with 16-grain JSBs; the pellets are shooting at 495 FPS (I can achieve 450 shots from 220 - 40 BAR with an extreme spread of 12 FPS over the entire range with unsorted pellets). I live in a suburb and I practice-shoot in my backyard and, on occasion, eliminate pest pigeons, and it is important that I don't shoot at high power. Even at this power level, however, I can hit the tips of palm tree leaves (my practice targets) at 43 yards. 

If money is no object and you want a high-end, versatile airgun, those that allow you to adjust their hammer spring rates and regulator pressures--even better, the hole on their transfer ports (though with most guns with holes in their barrels to permit air let-in you can just rotate them to increase/decrease their hole size)--can easily have their power decreased/increased to your own liking.

AA HFT500 works for precision backyard 12fpe sniping. No regulator needed but a good LDC is a MUST it's a Bob Barker. The BSA JSR Ultra 12fpe works too. Cool as heck shorty a mini Bob Barker not as Barley as the AA still a Bob Barker though. Want a fun simple DIY a Crosman Challenger swap out TP with Disco/Maximus get around 11fpe that has a match grade Lothar Walter barrel no need to add a regulator. Another Bob Barker just so you know. AA Ev2 and FTP900 if you want to go serious. Deals on pre loved ones popping up just you watch. I scored a 12fpe EV2 MK2 with a custom Gary Cane stock just recently it's awesome. Crickets (not hating I love my Crickets) may be irregular first couple shots when it's been sitting when cranked down to 12fpe with the factory reg FYI. You can do a Huma BSA Bucanneer 12fpe too but may have to ditch that front barrel Band for better accuracy. Get a Fortitude and buy the OEM Challenger trigger group with a credit card gift card shim spacer you cut yourself and trigger guard it's worth it if you're a die hard Fortitude kinda guy and want a beat very lightweight toy. Be sure it's not a leaker and shoots accurate enough to your liking before voiding the 5 year warranty like that and id keep it if it shot cheap Wal-Mart CPHP and 7.4 pointeds. Cheap ammo works - sometimes. Penny a pop even more fun. Crosman 1701p factory LW barrel too with side folding collapsible AR stock Disco TP gets you around 9-10fpe sub one inch at 50 on calm days no regulator needed I like it since it shoots cheap ammo great. Get yourself a TKO it's a Bob Barker without one at 10fpe. Yo!

Saltlake,

Almost all of my rigs are 12 ft.lb. From a high end Thomas and Steyr, down to a Marauder. I would also not hesitate to use a 1720T, as a few have suggested above. A few weeks ago, I put up a video on how to tear down a 1720T for a rebuild at 12 ft. Lbs. I've been waiting for parts, and time to rebuild it, that is today's (Sunday) mission. The 1720T is an excellent platform, along with the other Crosman and Benjamin offerings. Relatively inexpensive, and tons of aftermarket parts available from dozens of sources. The 1720T can be equipped with a shoulder stock, or, with just a little more modification to the stock of a Crosman Challenger. If you have any specific questions, PM me, as almost everything I own has been brought to 12 ft.lb by me, or purchased at that power level.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Saltlake,

Almost all of my rigs are 12 ft.lb. From a high end Thomas and Steyr, down to a Marauder. I would also not hesitate to use a 1720T, as a few have suggested above. A few weeks ago, I put up a video on how to tear down a 1720T for a rebuild at 12 ft. Lbs. I've been waiting for parts, and time to rebuild it, that is today's (Sunday) mission. The 1720T is an excellent platform, along with the other Crosman and Benjamin offerings. Relatively inexpensive, and tons of aftermarket parts available from dozens of sources. The 1720T can be equipped with a shoulder stock, or, with just a little more modification to the stock of a Crosman Challenger. If you have any specific questions, PM me, as almost everything I own has been brought to 12 ft.lb by me, or purchased at that power level.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech

Do you have a link to that video?

Thank you, sir.

Darkhorse,

Here is the link to that video....

https://youtu.be/6IYWE-jvQy0

I have other videos on my Channel, Field Target Tech, demonstrating the modifications to a .177 Marauder for 12 ft lb. power levels. The reassembly of the 1720T, will be up today or tomorrow. 

You can also check out my website at 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech