• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

100 Yard Benchrest - Luck or Skill?

Joe

here is a PVC stand we use in Grants Pass

1594859839_14154124095f0fa13f78e501.88454523.JPG

& here at Redwoods i put Re-bar in the ground and use the same type stand with out the legs

1594860081_15846079265f0fa23147afe4.80330993.JPG

If we have a rifle that we have tested using a reason rest and confirmed will not shoot better than a 1” group at 100 yards. And we have a shooter, consistently shoot better than 1” groups at 100 yards with that rifle Is it luck/probability or skill/experience?

I think it is both. If you had no shooting skills/experience chances are you would not be able to shoot a 1” group at 100 yards. Although if they did that would be luck. To score better than the gun is capable requires a skilled/experienced shooter with some luck/probability . Those are the shooters who may say had some lucky shots. 

just my pov

If we have a rifle that we have tested using a reason rest and confirmed will not shoot better than a 1” group at 100 yards. And we have a shooter, consistently shoot better than 1” groups at 100 yards with that rifle Is it luck/probability or skill/experience?

I think it is both. If you had no shooting skills/experience chances are you would not be able to shoot a 1” group at 100 yards. Although if they did that would be luck. To score better than the gun is capable requires a skilled/experienced shooter with some luck/probability . Those are the shooters who may say had some lucky shots. 

just my pov

Assuming that you meant tested with a "ransom" rest, I agree completely with your entire post. Sadly though, after plowing through all 8 pages of this subject, it is clear to me that 95% of it isn't about luck or skill. It's mostly about how EBR isn't fair and it needs to be changed. My POV

Assuming that you meant tested with a "ransom" rest, I agree completely with your entire post. Sadly though, after plowing through all 8 pages of this subject, it is clear to me that 95% of it isn't about luck or skill. It's mostly about how EBR isn't fair and it needs to be changed. My POV

Sadly it’s turned into that, and that was never my intention. For a while there I was almost getting ready to agree, and then some of these scores started popping up, along with 20 or 25 shot small groups at 100 yards where all but a couple shots could be coveted by a dime (0.7”). So plugging with a .30 or .35 plug from the EBR 10 ring of 0.475 gets you very close to being the correct diameter for state of the art airguns shooting in ideal conditions. Isn’t that what it’s all about? Perfect conditions being able to score almost all bullseyes and then under real world conditions dealing with the wind? So I’ve gone back to thinking that the approx 1/2 inch ten ring diameter is pretty much the right size (plugging with 0.30 gets to 0.8 inch diameter) for a top of the line state of the art air rifle. I’m firmly back in the “leave the 100Y BR targets alone, they are perfectly fine as is” camp. ;)