• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

100 Yard Benchrest - Luck or Skill?

Just a surface area comparison. Use EBR 10 Ring plus .35 plug size and EBR 9 ring plus .35 plug size. Determine fraction of 9 ring that the 10 ring takes up, this case about 1/4, and about 1/4 of 25 is about 6. So 225 plus 6 equals 231. I did it in my head so I just rounded. Could be 230 to 232 if you used a calculator.

Where were you when my eyes would “accidentally” wonder to my neighbor’s desk, when taking my math tests in School? Just think of the grades I could have had. JK but the teacher’s were right. You will always use math in life.

Just a surface area comparison. Use EBR 10 Ring plus .35 plug size and EBR 9 ring plus .35 plug size. Determine fraction of 9 ring that the 10 ring takes up, this case about 1/4, and about 1/4 of 25 is about 6. So 225 plus 6 equals 231. I did it in my head so I just rounded. Could be 230 to 232 if you used a calculator. 

So in more plain terms.... when you do everything correct, you have a 1 in 4 chance of earning a 10 for your efforts. 

That right there should smack you in the face.😳

Mike

Not exactly. It has more to do with Median group size than actual ctc or edge to edge groups. Think of it this way. On most of your groups, are the pellet holes spread evenly? The answer is no. NormalLy you have a tight bunch with a few outliers that ruin your group size. So an experiment would need to be done to determine that number. If your gun shoots 100Y ctc of 1.2 inches, what is the actual Median distance from center? I can’t say, but I’m fairly certain using the actual overall group size isn’t the way to go about this ten ring size determination. If I had to guess, and I am, I’d say using your ten shot 100Y group size would turn out to be much more representative of the realm of the probable. IMHO. ;)

The problem with a 9mm pistol plug is the shank is going to be too big for a 22 pellet hole. You need to make the shank appropriately sized for what you are shooting or it will follow tears in the paper when inserted.

Mike, it’s surely more complicated than it seems on the surface....but the point Ive been trying to make is that doing everything right on the current target only guarantees that you will get a 9 with the top equipment. If luck is on your side...that same shot can be a 10. Two shooters making the correct choices every time will likely end up with different scores solely based on the 10 ring being too small. That’s not sensible if you are trying to hold a contest to determine a real winner based on their performance.

Mike

Here is another try. Only change is making the X smaller.
1594488087_17112463125f09f517421b71.98132966.jpg

That target looks a lot better, Mike. No offense intended last night with my comments. I had a few brewskies in me and was admittedly being facetious. My apologies 🙂

Riddle me this, however; if I’m not mistaken, the X ring at 50 yard BR is 0.8mm. No current airgun (to my knowledge) can shoot this size group for 25 shots. Why then is this size X ring at 50 yard BR tolerant for you?

No worries.

The 50y target is actually a Rimfire target getting recycled for air.

Those targets are plugged with a .224” plug so the ctc needed to hit a 10 is roughly .25”.

I can regularly shoot 50y outdoor 25 shot groups around .320” ctc. I’m betting .250” could be done indoors as many of those were done in pretty decent wind.

Mike 

Well dang! I just printed up some of the first targets with the big X ring I like the second one better the rings are concentric which looks better in my minds eye. When you get around to making some more 35 cal air rifle plugs I would like to have one I would be happy to pay for it and shipping. I my little group that I shoot with nobody has a .35 yet but sooner or later one will show up and if that is the standard for scoring then I need one just to keep up the other scores.

... It has more to do with Median group size than actual ctc or edge to edge groups. ....

YES.

"Consistent" or "reliable" are arbitrary when describing a group size. With "median", you are on the right track. If you want to determine the probability of being inside of a particular diameter, you need to know a confidence interval for a particular diameter circle. With that information, you can calculate the probability of hitting inside any other size circle. A "median" circle should encompass 50% of the shots and represents a 50% confidence interval. A single standard deviation represents a 68% confidence interval. Either of those will make it possible for you to calculate the probability of getting a particular score for any given target. Group size on it's own can't do it.

Here is a 100 shot outdoor group at 55y shot from the sitting FT position with a 12 fpe gun.

.250” is possible with a 50-70 fpe 22 at 50.

Holy smokes, that’s some great shooting! 

Alright, if your HP .22, with you at the helm, can hold a .250” 25 shot group at 50 yards, would it be unreasonable to suspect that the same equipment could achieve, in super good conditions, a .5” 25 shot group at 100.

... It has more to do with Median group size than actual ctc or edge to edge groups. ....

YES.

"Consistent" or "reliable" are arbitrary when describing a group size. With "median", you are on the right track. If you want to determine the probability of being inside of a particular diameter, you need to know a confidence interval for a particular diameter circle. With that information, you can calculate the probability of hitting inside any other size circle. A "median" circle should encompass 50% of the shots and represents a 50% confidence interval. A single standard deviation represents a 68% confidence interval. Either of those will make it possible for you to calculate the probability of getting a particular score for any given target. Group size on it's own can't do it.

I’m impressed with all of the Statistics and Math knowledge within our ‘gray’ population. This is not sarcasm, but my genuine compliments to all of the sharp knives here in the drawyer.

I just went to get a beer in the garage refrigerator and was wondering where my keys and iPhone were when I came home from food shopping. Yep, I had a full bag of groceries and as I was putting them into the fridge, my wife called me and I forgot I had left the keys and phone in the refrigerator.

So, I have already taken myself out of the running for becoming the new Math Czar based on this recent episode. It’s OK, I’m happy and my beer is still cold. 

ZX-10....I don’t think that is reasonable based on what I have seen shooting at 100. Things like shooting only scale to a certain point. My personal opinion is that 100y is beyond the reasonable asking of a pellet gun....by that is not the point right now. I have plenty of 25 shot 25y groups that are around .060” ctc. 4 times smaller than 50y.

Mike 

ZX-10....I don’t think that is reasonable based on what I have seen shooting at 100. Things like shooting only scale to a certain point. My personal opinion is that 100y is beyond the reasonable asking of a pellet gun....by that is not the point right now. I have plenty of 25 shot 25y groups that are around .060” ctc. 4 times smaller than 50y.

Mike 

100 yards is beyond the scope with a pellet gun for average or slightly below average 100 yard shooters. Still, many of us like the challenge to try and improve. 

When I need an ego boost, I shoot between 225-235 scores consistently with a great shooting Anschutz.22 LR bull barrel rifle; with the 100 yard existing EBR targets. 

Air guns have a lot of variables in play. 

100 yards is beyond the scope with a pellet gun for average or slightly below average 100 yard shooters. Still, many of us like the challenge to try and improve. 

It's beyond the scope of the allowable pellets (according to a pellet manufacturer), but not necessarily beyond the scope of the gun, since their are now airgun slugs (and airguns) made for that purpose.

1594504664_10075959205f0a35d8af31a9.19979183.jpg