10 shot groups at 100 yards. JSB Kings, JSB Heavies, JSB Heavies MKII

Jking asked me a questions and it got me thinking. I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference in consistency between these three pellets. I shot 3 groups of the Kings, all from different tins, 2 groups of the heavies, both from the same tin, and one group of the Heavy MKII's. All groups are 10 shots at exactly 100 yards, all shot from the magazine. Also pellets straight from the tin, no sorting, lubing, etc. 

Conditions were as good as you could ask for without being inside, basically no wind at about 7am this morning. I was surprised to see that for the most part all three pellets seem to shoot equally well. 

The smallest group here measures 1.43" CTC on the micrometer. That group was the JSB Heavies MKI. The largest group is 1.84" and that group was from the JSB Kings. I'm sure if I only took 5 shot groups I could get some smaller groups but I really like the larger sample size to see exactly what the gun is capable of. 

FX Royale 500, Aeon 8-40 with new trajectory reticle.

JSB Heavies, MKII

JSB Heavies, MKI

JSB Kings

JSB KIngs

I've seen Ted's recent video of his 1" 10 shot MOA groups at 100 yards and I enjoy watching and seeing it, but I know he puts a lot more into his shooting than I do. From what I can gather from his posts, these seem to be the things he is doing that is doing that allows him to shrink his groups like he is:

1) He hunted down the pellets from the exact batch that shot the best from his gun and bought a ton of them.
2) May possibly inspecting pellets for deformities. 
3) Externally adjustable regulator on the Impact means he can tweak the gun to shoot those pellets at the exact speed they prefer to be shot for best accuracy.
4) And according to his video, some other things that he is not sharing with us until after he competes at Extreme Bench Rest to keep a competitive edge ;-)

Anyway, the groups in this post might be a good representation of the difference between an average shooter with a stock gun shooting pellets straight from the tin vs. a seasoned shooter, taking the extra steps and putting in the effort necessary to achieve MOA at 100 yards. It really goes to show that if you put in the time it makes a big difference. I'm personally interested to try the things Ted is doing but I also have no interest in bullpups so I'm waiting until they come out with a traditional rifle that has an externally adjustable regulator.

Hope you enjoyed! 

Cheers,
Cliff

Cliff That's pretty dang impressive, speaks well of the gun and you.
Three different pellets at a hundred all under 2 inches, with a 8 power
scope no less. Bags up front, higher power scope might squeeze
out a little more. But I sure as hell would leave the gun alone. Just think
if FX would have left the stock off what it could do!!!
take care keep shooting
fuznut

Hey Cliff thanks for sharing and great groups there at 100 yards. As for Ted i don't think he sorts pellets and i know he doesn't hand load pellets. I believe he said he was going to start inspecting pellet to practice for the EBR he also may sort them for that by weight. As far as the speed of the pellet the impact is pretty remarkable in that aspect to be able to adjust. I'm sure you can play around with the Hammer spring adjuster on your Royal to tweak the FPS for the heavy. Your longer barrel should aid in better accuracy over the bull pups.

"fuznut"Cliff That's pretty dang impressive, speaks well of the gun and you.
Three different pellets at a hundred all under 2 inches, with a 8 power
scope no less. Bags up front, higher power scope might squeeze
out a little more. But I sure as hell would leave the gun alone. Just think
if FX would have left the stock off what it could do!!!
take care keep shooting
fuznut
Thanks Fuznut! The scope was a an 8 to 40 by 56, so 40 power. I actually put the highest magnification on it that I could just to try to be as precise as possible. Aim small, miss small and all that! :) I used to shoot with bags up front but switched to a bipod for longer range shooting to remove cant error. I suppose it's a trade off really. Thank you for the positive feedback!

"Ginuwine1969"Hey Cliff thanks for sharing and great groups there at 100 yards. As for Ted i don't think he sorts pellets and i know he doesn't hand load pellets. I believe he said he was going to start inspecting pellet to practice for the EBR he also may sort them for that by weight. As far as the speed of the pellet the impact is pretty remarkable in that aspect to be able to adjust. I'm sure you can play around with the Hammer spring adjuster on your Royal to tweak the FPS for the heavy. Your longer barrel should aid in better accuracy over the bull pups.
Ginuwine, I think you're right. I just re-watched his video and he didn't say anything about sorting, just inspecting for deformities so I've edited my OP. I don't think I've ever seen him hand load pellets. I have a single shot tray and use it sometimes but I've never seen a noticeable difference so just stick to the magazines for convenience.

Believe it or not, there is only a 1.5" difference in length of barrel between the Royale 500 and the impact. I think the last few inches of the smooth twist rifling are the same but I don't know that for sure. Regardless, I'd think the traditional rifle setup that I have would have an advantage over the bullpup regardless of a small difference in barrel length so it's even more impressive that he's getting those results. He's a great shooter for sure and I can't wait to see how he does at EBR. 

There is no reason why traditional air rifles would have an advantage over bullpups in accuracy. Bullpups use full length barrels so, if they are well designed, no reason accuracy should suffer. Some shooters might be less comfortable with certain bullpups but the same is true of traditional rifles. 

The results of the extreme BR comp show bullpups were well represented in the rankings. In the results I saw, Ted was using an FX Bobcat which is well over a pound heavier than the Royale 500. That could give it an advantage in BR shooting where more weight means more stability. FX makes a Royale for target shooting but it weighs significantly more for this reason. You might be able to buy one of their aluminum target stocks for your Royale. 

I don't know Ted but I know he is a better marksman than the average. I am approximately 99.736% sure that his 100 yard groups would be noticeably better than mine even if we used the same rifle. Shooting is like that. People that are really good seem to practice a lot (more than me).

"CampFussell"Great shooting Cliff. I haven't shot that distance in quite some time. I was happy with sub 2 inch (12 shot) groups when I tried it a couple years ago.
Might give it a go in month or 2 when it cools off, plus I've got to do some clearing. My path from 55 yds on out to 100 yds has grown over.

Fuss
Thanks Fuss! Always good to hear from you, I can't wait to see some video of you shooting that beautiful new Thomas gun! ;-)

Cliff, That's good shooting on your part! I'm surprised how consistent the groups are. Would expect the heavies to tighten up a little. Something interesting I noticed. Instead of shooting all the shots at one target point like they do in the videos, move back and forth between target points so you have to reset the gun. When I do that my groups suffer a little