• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

10 Meter Standing And Kneeling Postal Match ** Week 5 **

Here's week #5 of the standing and kneeling postal match. Hone those skills for the forced lanes. Everyone is welcome to enter. 

There will be a category for scopes (any and all) and also a category for peep/iron sights. 

Jackets, gloves and slings are allowed. You can shoot the card in as many increments as you want. One shot per bullseye.

I suggest wad cutter pellets for cleaner (and bigger) holes and easier scoring. If you’re using dome pellets, be sure to push the pellet head into the hole for a more accurate (and better!) score. We’ll score up and not down. So for example, if any part of the pellet hole touches the next highest ring, you score it by that ring.

Honor system for scoring. This is really for fun, and a way to hopefully get one to practice the postions for the forced lanes. 

Post a picture of your best card in one or more categories by the end of the match period (usually one week). I'll keep 4 (standing/scope, standing/peep, kneeling/scope and kneeling/peep) running tallies of the scores for the weeks match in the initial post.

This match ends Sunday, January 3rd, 2021 (happy new year) at midnight EST.

Here’s the link for the target: https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf 

Chas

Stand / Scope Kneel / Scope

Greg 140 Greg 147

Matt 138 Matt 144

Chas 133 Chas 142

Leo 132 Leo 140

Tom 131

Standing / Peep

Slow Turtle 106

Here are my cards for Week 5, I may be distracted over the New Years weekend.

Stand 140, Kneel 147

Thomas Carbine .177, RWS 8.2 wadcutter, March 8-80 scope set to 18X and 25X.

Kneeling 147

IMG_1030.1609357980.jpeg

Standing 140

IMG_1028.1609358020.jpeg

See ya next year!

Greg

Great shooting Greg!

I thought I'd switch rifles, but It's taken me all the time in the few gaps I had this week to narrow down wadcutter pellets that shoot well in my TX200 Leach. I think it's boiled down to QYS match (red case). Everything else (RWS, H&N, JSB) is trash, except strangely for my usual AA 8.4 domes. So I may have used all my time sorting that out. And I took a hamster off my FWB300 for use on the TX, so it's difficult to go back at this point.

I'll do my best to get in a card or two

Matt B.

Here are my targets for this week. On the kneeling target, the 7 was my first bullseye on the sheet! 😩 I went back to shoot it again just to see what my score would of been without that 7. The 142 score is scored with that bull being a 7.

I found that moving my supporting arm just a bit forward on the hamster was helpful for the standing shots. 

Standing 133 Kneeling 142 RAW TM1000 Sightron Slll 10-50 x 60 JSB Simply 8.26gr Wadcutters

IMG_0020.1609707720.jpg
IMG_0022.1609707731.jpg

After some false starts with a few more 7's, I managed the below, back with my TX200 III in FT configuration. 144 kneel; 138 offhand

I'm finding that the small changes I made to my more "slouched" kneeling stance is helping, and that I can make minute changes to form or weight when I'm calm enough to notice sway or unsteadiness.

In offhand, it's made a big difference to me to kind of disassociate from the target and really focus on the crosshairs - dabbing the trigger only when they happen to settle (not sweep!) into the KZ/bull. I hope I can remember to keep that up.

2021.01.03_TXM_10m_kneel_Chas.1609711011.jpeg

2021.01.03_TXM_10m_offhand_Chas.1609711012.jpeg

@SlowTurtle, I really know what you mean about feeling like there's no improvement! I've struggled with that for years. I do shoot better when I keep consistent practice up, and use deliberate practice techniques that aid consistency (as Greg suggested: dry fire sessions, and even hold intervals). Are there better lighting or glasses options you could look into? Keep it up!

After some false starts with a few more 7's, I managed the below, back with my TX200 III in FT configuration. 144 kneel; 138 offhand

I'm finding that the small changes I made to my more "slouched" kneeling stance is helping, and that I can make minute changes to form or weight when I'm calm enough to notice sway or unsteadiness.

In offhand, it's made a big difference to me to kind of disassociate from the target and really focus on the crosshairs - dabbing the trigger only when they happen to settle (not sweep!) into the KZ/bull. I hope I can remember to keep that up.

2021.01.03_TXM_10m_kneel_Chas.1609711011.jpeg

2021.01.03_TXM_10m_offhand_Chas.1609711012.jpeg

@SlowTurtle, I really know what you mean about feeling like there's no improvement! I've struggled with that for years. I do shoot better when I keep consistent practice up, and use deliberate practice techniques that aid consistency (as Greg suggested: dry fire sessions, and even hold intervals). Are there better lighting or glasses options you could look into? Keep it up!

Thanks Matt, nice shooting.

Just old eyes, I haven't done any 10 meter stuff since my military school days over 45 years ago. I've been fooling around with different front sight inserts and the single post looks promising so I'm going to try that for a bit.

Giving up isn't in my nature.

140 Kneeling 132 Standing Walther LGU, Sightron 10-50x60, RWS MK 8.2 gr. WC

Screwed up my standing with a 5 but will try better next week.

2021-01-03_181405.1609721039.jpg
2021-01-03_194128.1609721040.jpg

I am shooting other things now and air rifle is taking a back seat and it shows. Indoor air pistol, indoor 3 and 4 position rimfire match rifle and indoor archery are getting a lot more attention.

Here ya go, offhand only, for me pretty crappy, but, it is the first time I've shot offhand since November. I'm shooting at the same size bull, but only have the official NRA ten bull card (12 if you count the sighters). Thus, the card cut in half, because the full card won't fit in my bullet trap.

Here's my disaster.....

20210103_194938.1609721760.jpg
20210103_194921.1609721760.jpg
20210103_194859.1609721761.jpg
Hopefully, I'll get more practice this week, this was my first and only attempt, didn't even take any sighted shots. Total 131

Thomas FT, with a poly non choked Lothar Walther barrel at 23 3/4" long. Air Arms 10.34, @ 715 FPS Sightron Slll 10-50. Used magnification of in between 15 and 20 x.

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Matt, I know what you mean about the slouch. I used to really keep my back straight, as well as my supporting hand bent at about a 90 degree angle to the supporting arm. Now the supporting hand is relaxed and flat and the upper body is more relaxed. Definitely helps. Disassociating from the target and only paying attention to the cross hairs... interesting, I'll give it a try. 

Slow Turtle, there are these patches with little holes that one puts over their glasses for the dominate eye that are supposed help. Never tried them, but just wanted to let you know. I think so much of this game is about continuing to show up when it seems like there isn't much improvement. At least in terms of something like a score card. Yet, with the practice, change happens over time. Just like how the sun is getting stronger now. Every day just a bit more. We don't notice it until the first week of February on average, but the changes have been happeing all along. 

I feel your pain Leo. Great or good card going and.... bam, a pulled shot. When I used to shoot bench rest, I can't tell you how many fantastic 5 shot groups I ruined on the 5th shot!!

Good stuff guys. Onwards!

Chas