• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

10 Meter Standing And Kneeling Postal Match ** Week 4 **

Here's week #4 of the standing and kneeling postal match. Hone those skills for the forced lanes. Everyone is welcome to enter. 

There will be a category for scopes (any and all) and also a category for peep/iron sights. 

Jackets, gloves and slings are allowed. You can shoot the card in as many increments as you want. One shot per bullseye.

I suggest wad cutter pellets for cleaner (and bigger) holes and easier scoring. If you’re using dome pellets, be sure to push the pellet head into the hole for a more accurate (and better!) score. We’ll score up and not down. So for example, if any part of the pellet hole touches the next highest ring, you score it by that ring.

Honor system for scoring. This is really for fun and a way to hopefully get one to practice the postions for the forced lanes. 

Post a picture of your best card in one or more categories by the end of the match period (usually one week). I'll keep 4 (standing/scope, standing/peep, kneeling/scope and kneeling/peep) running tallies of the scores for the weeks match in the initial post.

This match ends Sunday, December 27th at midnight EST.

Here’s the link for the target: https://www.craftygeek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/A4_10m_Air_Rifle_Target.pdf

Standing / Scope Standing / Peep

Matt 139 Slow Turtle 102

Leo 135

Chas 129

Chris 107

Kneeling / Scope Kneeling / Peep

Matt 144

Chas 140

Here are my two best standing and kneeling cards for this week. Standing 129 Kneeling 140 RAW TM1000 Sightron SIII 10-50 x60 JSB 8.3gr Wadcutter

In the standing position, I'm working on using a slight shift of weight to the back leg to raise the poi up rather than muscle it up. Can't shift too far back though as I loose the elbow being firm on the hip and the weight of the rifle going down through the forward leg and into the ground. It's a work in progress. 

Chas

IMG_0019.1609098478.jpg
IMG_0018.1609098499.jpg

Standing 139

Kneeling 144

I had some success with standing this week - I concentrated on really building a hold where I can utterly relax my hips back and shoulders, as well as my wrists. This involves me really wedging my left elbow toward my sternum in the support of the rifle, and leaning back (to the left, facing the target) slightly to catch the rifle's weight almost into the area across my chest. Then, I remembered that I do better if I just WATCH the crosshairs, and not STEER them, and strive for a really disciplined, even trigger pull - I think a big weakness of mine.

In kneeling, I tried to match last week's score when I tried slouching down into my pose more, leaning back slightly so that I could lay more of my left forearm on left thigh. This is more uncomfortable, but seems more steady.

2020.12.23_10yd_FWB300_Chas_offhand.1609126398.jpeg

2020.12.27_10yd_FWB300_Chas_kneel.1609126399.jpeg

That's a wrap for week 4. Good shooting guys. Well, on one level, all shooting is good 😁

Welcome to the postal match Chris. Leo and Matt continue to kill it with the standing scores. 

Slow Turtel, I looked through the iron (true glo) sights on my 953 and could hardly see the target! I'm gonna see if I can get it sighted in and shoot some cards with it. 

Keep em coming. Week 5 cards due Sunday, 1/3 (happy new year) at midnight

Chas

Oops, didn’t get my pics in. Next week. Had a really good kneeling card. Offhands are getting worse. I think it’s cause I’m not doing my regular training in order to “ save it” for the card shoot. Gonna go to every other day card shoot and regular trading regimen.

Nice standing score Matt!

Greg

I'd be interested to know what your training regimen is, Greg! Every day? 

And thanks about my score - I really hope I can maintain whatever lessons I think I'm glimpsing this winter into next year's field season. Outside elements and time pressure are always challenges for me. I was having inconsistency troubles with my TX in offhand in the fall, too. I think I'll get it out and try some cards...

Matt

My standing regimen is simple. Here’s a condensed summary.

I practice/play trumpet, guitar and trombone daily. Before and after I play each I do a half dozen dry fires standing, no coat. ( I call it toot and shoot) I also do a long hold( about a minute). Then when I’m all geared up(coat, pads) I do sitting, standing, kneeling live fire , usually 20, 10, 10, 

I feel frequency is much more important than duration, as we never do more than 4 standers in a row and you may have been shooting a couple hours before they come up.

it’s not how many shots you take, it’s how many times you get set up to take shots, cause that’s what you have to do in FT. 

Greg

Great shooting, guys. I think I'm going to get in on this mix, gonna be a long winter. Standing is no problem, I'll have to experiment with kneeling, the one side of my apartment is not kneeling friendly. I'm going to see if my extra Husky workbench fits between my couch and wall, so I'm able to climb up on it for kneeling attempt. I think I have the space, so I'm pretty sure it will work. 

What are your guys thoughts on a version of this with pistol? I was thinking about it, with Field Target classes, as well as a formal 10 meter Olympic Air Pistol. Was thinking the same target that we're using above, for the Field Target classes, and the regular ISSF 10 meter air pistol targets for the Olympic class. What say you guys? I was thinking of putting it on the Air Pistol thread, because not everyone involved in pistol is a Field Target competitor, and may not even give this section a look. Might get more participation from the masses that way........thoughts, revisions?

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Great shooting, guys. I think I'm going to get in on this mix, gonna be a long winter. Standing is no problem, I'll have to experiment with kneeling, the one side of my apartment is not kneeling friendly. I'm going to see if my extra Husky workbench fits between my couch and wall, so I'm able to climb up on it for kneeling attempt. I think I have the space, so I'm pretty sure it will work. 

What are your guys thoughts on a version of this with pistol? I was thinking about it, with Field Target classes, as well as a formal 10 meter Olympic Air Pistol. Was thinking the same target that we're using above, for the Field Target classes, and the regular ISSF 10 meter air pistol targets for the Olympic class. What say you guys? I was thinking of putting it on the Air Pistol thread, because not everyone involved in pistol is a Field Target competitor, and may not even give this section a look. Might get more participation from the masses that way........thoughts, revisions?

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com

Tom,

Do it. Post the match on the Air Pistol forum. I will shoot the ISSF one handed unsupported class. I need the practice.

Leo

Cool. This is what I was thinking for classes. All shot at 10 meters.

Field Target ......Hunter Class, Limited Class. Rules the same as we shoot in AAFTA. Shot on the A-36 target (10 meter air rifle target, 50 ft. International smallbore...they are the same target) 40 shots

Sport Air pistol. Standing only, 2 hand hold allowed, arms extended. Taco hold allowed, but arms must be free of the body. Elbows cannot be rested on torso. PCP & pneumatic, springer class. Shoulder stock class allowed, but arms must be free of the body,, no support. Scope, red dot, iron sights allowed. Target, also the A-36, 40 shots

Olympic class

Formal ISSF class.

Any air pistol, iron sights only, that adheres to ISSF rules. One hand only, iron sights only. Trigger no less than 900 grams pull weight (about 1.2 pounds) To be shot on the official ISSF 10 meter air pistol target. Official NRA classes of Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, and Master, as well as Lifetime Master will be recognized. 60 shots.

I'd like to get as much participation as possible, so submit whatever you shoot. Any questions about what you can or can't use in a class, or questions about which class you are in, please do not hesitate. 

That's what I have to start, if anyone has any thoughts or revisions please chime in and give me your thoughts. After all input and suggestions are anylized, the final classes and rules will be posted.

Send in your suggestions!!!!!

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Hey Tom,

Glad you'll be joining the 10m standing and kneeling shooting. I had a chuckle with the picture in my mind of you climing up on your workbench for the kneeling shots!! 😂

Yeah, probably best to post the 10m pistol challenge on the pistol sub forum for all the reasons you listed. Thanks for doing that. As you say, it's a long winter down in the basement and this give us something to focus on. 

Chas