1 piece scope mount or scope rings???

Forums Optics, Scopes, Rings, & Mounts 1 piece scope mount or scope rings???

• Views : 1141
  • Link

Ginuwine1969
    Participant

Ok air gunners, what do you prefer and why?  A one piece scope mount or a set of rings to mount your scope? If an application is needed will call it long distance (75-100 yard) target shooting.

Link

TonyT
    Participant

I prefer the two piece rings. One can determine a preferred location on the receiver and shim if necessary.

Link

ajshoots
    Participant

One piece mounts don’t work on many airguns, so for that reason alone, I like rings.

Link

linsfreak
    Participant

Negative on a one piece.

Link

Adamah
    Participant

What is it being mounted on? Is it a rifle or carbine? If it is, a one piece mount probably wouldnt clear the magazine if its a repeater. On my Vulcan I absolutely prefer a one piece mount with 20 MOA built into it. I mostly shoot 70 plus yards and even though I have a mil-dot reticle I prefer to dial in my elevation so I need the extra 20 MOA.

Link

NorthLand43
    Participant

The magazine on my M-Rod prohibits the use of a one piece. 

Link

Scotchmo
    Participant

There are exceptions, but I usually us one piece mounts on my piston guns, and two piece mounts on my PCP guns.

Link

spysir
    Participant

Agree with scotchmo Strong one piece mount for springers, cant have too much grip. Two separate rings for most pre-charged rifles and good extruded rings/mounts  if you can find them for your application.  I have used an offset mount on several magazine equipped  rigs as well as sliding breech bigbores.
      Funny how after a while you just might realize you can tune & tweek – and it is sometimes needed- rings/mounts all kinds of different ways. I saw a really nice easy DIY lapping tutorial recently but cant recall where right now, should google.  
     And just the one single ring on a pistol or scout scope.

John

Link

Goodtogo
    Participant

I like the one piece but sometimes I go for the one I think looks better on the rifle.
    So this morning off with the one piece. Most of the time I don’t worry about lapping in scope rings on my pellet rifles. And didn’t spend a lot of time on these. I posted the rifle with the one piece and the two and I’m not sure which I like better. The target shows I have some work to do since that was 10 shots at 20 yards(if it will do that at 50 yards after a few hundred pellets ill be happy). But only around 50 pellets thru it for now. Later today since its in the 60s I’ll try it on my range at 50 yards. And there were no adjustments to my scope made after the change so both sets of rings were close to the same?

P.S. its not hard to stick one of the two piece mounts in a drill press and drill a hole for a stop pin. You just have to make sure the pin is the right length.

Link

Crane_Hard
    Participant

One piece with springers or gas rams all the time. Mount must have stop pin in rear. Usually, will only cost you about $20. Then one piece with pcps only if they fit. That depends on your collection though. 

Link

linsfreak
    Participant

Good post Goodtogo.

Link

LarryB.
    Participant

Hello all,
    ​ I recently installed the Burris Signature Zee rings  and couldn’t be more satisfied. I set scope turrets back to middle and then used the+ and – inserts to get within 1 inch and then used the turrets to zero in . Absolutely the best. This takes care of barrel droop or rise even cures if off to one side.

Link

I_Like_Irons
    Participant

“NorthLand43”The magazine on my M-Rod prohibits the use of a one piece. 

I chose a one piece offset mount on my Marauder because I could not get the scopes far enough forward otherwise.  I shoot prone, mostly, which calls for a forward positioned scope.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.