• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Zeroing my scope

It is always best to zero using the highest magnification you can. This gives you the biggest view of your target and impact point. All scopes your zero will remain constant at all magnifications, where it gets tricky is with hold over or hold under. Most likely you have a Second plane focal scope( reticle remains same size at all magnifications). This will change your MILDOT values based on what your magnification is minus center zero which remains the same. You can use a BDC program like Hawke's chairgun for this purpose. Another type is first focal plane( usually a lot more expensive), which reticle is forward of magnification lenses so it changes size with magnification. With this type MILDOT's remain the same at all ranges, but still need BDC program to initially get values. I know this is just a quick explanation and not to in-depth.

Hope this helps, Dave

No it will not affect the zero no matter at which magnification level you are you are using. If you check out a few of Ted's videos on YouTube, he changes mag levels during shoots all the time.

As Dave pointed out, your mil dot readings will change as mag changes. Your scope should have specified at which mag level is the mil dot true.

True mil dot translates to about 3.6 inches @ 100 yards. You could scale it linearly.

Ex. my scope has a 20x true mil dot. So at 20x, 1 mil = 3.6 inches @ 100 yards. And at 10x, 1 mil = 7.2 inches @ 100 yards.

These gentlemen are spot on with their valuable input. I might add that selecting your zero is what you want to consider. There is the 1st zero as the pellet crosses the site line travelling towards the apex of flight and then the second zero as pellet crosses the site line traveling away from the apex of flight. This differential is called your kill zone and can be adjusted by the distance at which you select your zero range. A 30 yard zero would minimize this POI shift between 1st and 2nd zero as opposed to a 75 yard zero which would be a substantial differential. It is dependent on the ranges and target or game size you most likely will be shooting at. Visit Hawke Chairgun on the interweb and you'll get the idea.