Zeroing my new air rifle but having issues

Let me start by saying " Hello everyone!"

Long time hunter but brand new to air rifling (excluding the old crossman I had when I was nine).

I recently picked up a Benjamin Trail NP2 due to a sale and the reviews seemed decent on it. The problem I've come across is that when rested sled it shoots damn near on top of each shot yet when I free hold it I'm high about 4 - 6 inches.
The sled is a Champion premium shooting rest "http://www.championtarget.com/shooting_gear/shooting_rests/premium.aspx" and it has worked perfectly fine for all of my rifles.
I understand that the air guns recoil both forward and backwards yet when it's rested it's the same as if I was holding it free hand. Here in lies the frustration and reason for coming here and asking you...the community. 

Look up artillery hold, as resting a springer is not the same as holding it. When zeroing, I rest the rifle in my palm, with my hand resting on a bag. Also pay attention to where you place your support hand. I start with it at the balance point of the gun (usually right in front of the trigger guard). As I shoot, I move it forward to see if the gun groups better. When I find that "sweet spot," (again, usually at or near the trigger guard for me), I try to always rest the rifle in the same spot. Remember, it's about CONSISTENT hold. You don't want to fight the recoil you want it to recoil exactly the same way every time. Springers recoil backwards first (spring tension releasing, piston starts moving), forwards after (piston comes to a stop), THEN (usually) the pellet leaves the muzzle (at least, this is what I've read, and it makes some sense). 
Point is: you've got to zero as close to how you're going to hold you rifle as possible (with a springer). If you zero from a solid rest, you will always have to shoot from that rest, or your groups will suffer. If you want to shoot offhand, try to zero while holding the gun more like you will when actually shooting. That, the right pellet, and a ton of practice should yield good groups. Hope this helps, and best of luck! Welcome to the addiction.