zeroing a wildcat

Okay I followed everyone's advice and bought a wildcat. I got it today and I've been shooting it all day about 300 pellets . The trouble I'm having is that I zeroed in at 20 yards pellet on pellet. when I move out to 40 yards I'm two inches high fairly well pellet on pellet. Is there a different zero basis to follow here should I be zeroing in at a farther distance or
is there something you see that I'm doing wrong? perhaps at 25 and 50 or at 30 and 60?

What's happening is that a pellet is traveling on an arc when it leaves your muzzle. The pellet is on the rise when it passes the axis in your scope at your "near zero". It continues rising along the arc (resulting in a hold-under) until it reaches its peak. Likely somewhere around the 35-40 yard range. Then begins its descent. The pellet will then cross the axis in your scope once more for your "far zero". Likely around 50-55 yards. After the pellet crosses the axis a second time, your hold becomes a hold-over. Just my basic understanding of how it works. Hope this helps.

-Brad

Reactions: Jlacouturec
Just a follow up. I've had my WC for 2 days. 400 pellets so far went "pesting"last night. I had move my zero out to 30 y,this made 60y the second zero. Hitting turtles in the head @ 40 - 60 y. Muskrat @ 50y. Farthest shot 70y. Turtle in the head.
everyone (mostly) pushed me to the WC. It's unbelieveable! Like a part of me in 2 days. THANKS EVERYONE 

You may have read the old thread about my wildcat's wondering zero and finally figuring out the barrel was getting bumped cause I was transporting it barrel down on the passenger side floor like I sometimes do my powder burners. Butstock on the seat. I don't even lean mine upright with any pressure on the barrel any more. Kinda baby it and no more wondering zero.

Well I'm surprise no one has commented on the pellet rising??? The pellet never goes higher than the level of the barrel. You do see an arc because the scope is higher than the barrel. The pellet goes straight out and begins to fall. The scope, angled down, cuts thru that arc. At 50 yds zero you will have a cross hair at approximately 16 yds & again at 50, your zero point. Boy did I open a can of worms. Just saying. Have fun and think on that. 

When I got my WC in 22 I zeroed it at 50 yards and it is POA = POI from about 25 yards out to about 60 yards. It has to be one of the most accurate guns I have owned. I say one of because I just got an Impact with 22 and 30 cal barrels. In 22 it is just as accurate as the WC. I find that both guns shoot 15.89 and 18.1 pellets pretty much the same. The 18.1 actually hit about half an inch higher than the 15.89 with all things being the same.

Enjoy your WC. It is laser accurate and I have had no problems with wandering zero and I lean mine up in my safe.