• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Hey guys, 

I have a couple things to talk about. So I am newish to shooting the air guns but I have been shooting long distance for a long time (7 years military experience as a shooter) (military guys that obviously can be broken down but not worth it) I have purchased an element optic and I was curious for airguns if anyone even bothers with setting the zero stop at a specific distance since there is so much variable change a DOPE sheet seems next to impossible to create. Does anyone do this or have any thoughts on it? 

I would set a stop somewhere less than your zero. Say your zero is 50yds than maybe set it at 35yds if your not planning on clicking to shoot less than 35. I have made my own sleeves that go under my elevation turret to prevent me from loosing track of where I'm at. If your clicking to adjust your shooting distances its very easy to loose track especially if you are zero'd at say 50yds then click it to 150yds. That might be a couple of full rotations depending on the gun and scope, then you decide to go back to 50 later and you really cant remember how many turns you made earlier. At least with a stop set at a known distance you can quickly crank it back down to that postion and get your bearings back. 

My Sightrons don't have a zero stop but any future scope I buy probably will. 

Just my thoughts if I understand your question correctly. 

jking

Hi Ghost,

I calculate for the apex of bullet flight, with a 0-degree inclination, and zero the rifle at whatever that distance is for the scope hight of the given rifle. All solutions are then below that zero point, and in this scenario clicking to your target becomes viable if your scope has the verticle range or you cant your scope to create more range. The use of zero stop is very convenient to return to a reference point. As stated, set the stop a few clicks past the zero point, reset the turret and you are golden in the field if you forget how many rotations you dialled in.

Data on previous engagement is always valuable, even in the airgun world. with a consistent platform projectile drop can be calculated for pretty accurately and (StrelokPro is relatively cheap, has good projectile drag models and updates!), while wind calls will benefit from a systematic approach to mapping past shots to current environmentals.

I have so many thoughts:) but they don't really matter in the bigger picture, and I use the zero stop on the scope that has it, I wish the other scopes that I own came with them...

@Mike

Sorry, I should have been clearer regarding the inclination statement. Apex calculation does solve for launch angle and range given projectile mass, speed, scope height and environmentals.

Launch angle affects projectile flight time, gravity is a constant, so I like to make sure that the gun is close to level and that the target is close to the same height as the muzzle for an apex zero.

So the calculation results in an angle solution, but I level the gun when shooting to find zero.

You are correct that this method results in drop only as the projectile doesn’t have to fight gravity in an upwards trajectory for the zero procedure. I am trying to bring the crosshairs (line of sight) down to the pellet path rather than angle the pellet path upwards to the line of sight. Does this explain my rationale better?

Does the gun have to be perfectly level? I suppose 3 or 4 degrees up or down will suffice, the take away is that I try to zero with as few variables at play as possible.

No offence taken from your question! I am no expert but I am always willing to share my methodology. 

@Yo, 

Your statement is also correct, and I see that you have done the calculations as 25-33 yards is generally the range I get for my various calibres.

Okay, now I see what you're doing. Thanks for the clarity!

So, without going into great detail, I am assuming that you already know via calculation about where a projectile will land with said parameters. That I assume is approximately where the scope would be maxed out for holdover adjustment (25-30 yards) so all adjustments are basically one way unless you account for a few clicks the other way..

mike