Zero Recoil Zero Play Scope Mount - Sorry Dianna...

hgg2k

Apr 29, 2021
Greece
Hello,

A few months ago I bought the Gamo Replay 10x IGT springer airgun.
Very powerful and accurate, but this airgun ate 3 different scopes! :-(
The recoil is brutal.

Looking for a solution, I found the Diana Bullseye ZR mount.
Praised by many and quite expensive, but I bought it to see if it really works.
It looked like it worked, but now and then I got some fliers that I could not explain.
I filmed the mount at 240fps and saw that while it protects the riffle from the initial recoil,
the scope returned back and smashed its initial position. Not a very effective design...

So I started a small Arduino project to build a standalone battery powered
high-G recoil meter to measure the actual forces that were exerted on the scopes.
It was not easy because the available accelerometers have a very slow sampling rate
of 1khz and high-G versions were not easy to find. Anyway, the results showed that
the scope felt way more than 400 G! when attached directly on the rail but when put
on the Diana mount, the recoil was indeed less but still considerable.

Many times it reached 400 G. That was when the scope was loosing zero again.

Apart from that, the mount had play and it was centered only on the front with
a conical pin. The accuracy was not bad, but the Gamo without this mount was
more accurate.

Frustrated and after all the money I've spent, I decided to build my own mount from scratch
correcting all the errors that the Diana mount had. The result was not bad!
Maximum g-force exerted was 125 g.
Why they did not build something like that, its beyond me.

Below is a small demonstration.

I hope you like it.
Thanks.

I admire your dedication! If you could find someone to make it, I imagine it would sell for maybe $150?

The problem of isolating the scope from recoil was solved by Unertl, Lyman and others during the 1950's I believe. My buddies still use originals or reproductions in their long range BP matches. This is what they look like:

image.jpeg

Reactions: hgg2k
Don't have one of the Gamo guns but do have a Diana 45 and 54 which are notorious for punishing the scopes.
I trashed at least six scopes with these guns but none since I put the Bullseye mount on them.
I have not had the flyer problem some have ether.
Then again I took the time to clean, adjust and lube the mount to see that I had the least amount of play and smoothest possible action as well.

@Michigander, Thanks very interesting! I am not sure how much they would sell but $150 would be quite a lot I think.
In my opinion the Diana mount was already overpriced at $100 when it first came out for such a simple device.

@Perle, Thank you, the accuracy is perfect now and no fliers. You can see the result in the video. I used on purpose
a damaged scope that stopped holding zero on the Gamo and it performed like new. The group you see is with me
standing awkwardly on the floor. It will be much tighter with proper body placement.

@biohazardman Indeed these Dianas are notorious for destroying scopes as well. 6 scopes?! You win, I trashed only 3... :)
I did some measurements with the Diana ZR mount as well and although it does reduce the recoil it does nothing for the
surge of the springer (the piston slam). Especially when you point downhill. So it looks like that the double recoil of
the springer does the most damage on the scopes and Diana solved only the first part. Have you shot a lot of rounds
with the Diana? Always in a straight line?

Nice job!! Where did you find a sensor w a low sample rate? Ive been trying to build a similar device to map out cant, angle, etc during a shot, but same issue, crap sample rates.
Did you mean with a high sample rate?
For angle, cant and similar, you do not need a fast sampling rate.
The ADXL345 would be fine. For impact measurements you do need the fastest you can find.

Did you mean with a high sample rate?
For angle, cant and similar, you do not need a fast sampling rate.
The ADXL345 would be fine. For impact measurements you do need the fastest you can find.
Thanks and yes with a high sample rate. Brain gets cooked in the heat sometimes. Agree on the cant, angle etc. no need, but the accelerometer im looking for is for a FT target sensor project. Thanks again and great work!

Reactions: hgg2k
Hello,

A few months ago I bought the Gamo Replay 10x IGT springer airgun.
Very powerful and accurate, but this airgun ate 3 different scopes! :-(
The recoil is brutal.

Looking for a solution, I found the Diana Bullseye ZR mount.
Praised by many and quite expensive, but I bought it to see if it really works.
It looked like it worked, but now and then I got some fliers that I could not explain.
I filmed the mount at 240fps and saw that while it protects the riffle from the initial recoil,
the scope returned back and smashed its initial position. Not a very effective design...

So I started a small Arduino project to build a standalone battery powered
high-G recoil meter to measure the actual forces that were exerted on the scopes.
It was not easy because the available accelerometers have a very slow sampling rate
of 1khz and high-G versions were not easy to find. Anyway, the results showed that
the scope felt way more than 400 G! when attached directly on the rail but when put
on the Diana mount, the recoil was indeed less but still considerable.

Many times it reached 400 G. That was when the scope was loosing zero again.

Apart from that, the mount had play and it was centered only on the front with
a conical pin. The accuracy was not bad, but the Gamo without this mount was
more accurate.

Frustrated and after all the money I've spent, I decided to build my own mount from scratch
correcting all the errors that the Diana mount had. The result was not bad!
Maximum g-force exerted was 125 g.
Why they did not build something like that, its beyond me.

Below is a small demonstration.

I hope you like it.
Thanks.
Patent that sucker quickly

Does anyone have the files for 3D printing George's zero recoil zero play mount saved? I had the website saved, but not the actual files. It seems like the info has been removed. I have looked all over and even tried to contact George, so far with no progress. I really could use the mount on my RWS Diana 54 to mount my Vortex Strike Eagle. Thanks in advance for your help. Feel free to email me directly at:

[email protected]

Regards,
Dave Henneman

That's what I'd like to know. I have a chicom knock off of the ZR that I modified to eliminate the slop and it works fine for the little I shoot my vortex tuned Diana 48 in.177. I've used a no name bundle scope that came with my Aspen. It worked fine for around a tin of pellets before I swapped it out for a tasco 2.5-10 varminter scope which is still going strong. Only reason I swapped scopes is I needed more than a 4x for shooting at 45 yards.