Zeiss scope....maybe?

I have shot in hundreds , no probably several 1000 competitions in my 60 years of competitive shooting. Never saw a Zeiss rifle scope on the line except one time. But I have a Ziess 85mm sporting scope I have used for 20 years and love it. I would not be afraid of trying one but be sure before you buy because I think it would not be easy to resale. I would be checking out a more common top end optic. Look at the Sightron SVED line, I have several and love the glass. Their dual paralex control is unrivaled in the scope industry. Nightforce is a big name, I got rid of all mine over their warranty but they are good scopes.

Reactions: Bandito
Some things to keep in mind about perceptions of popularity: Zeiss has a stronger European presence and following; they have a much longer pedigree of producing high quality hunting scopes under the Zeiss brand; in regard to FFP, competition type scopes, the S5 has only been available since late ‘22 and is arguably priced out of reach for most users, with some truly venerable and established competition at its price point; the S3 series has only really been available the last year; competitors at the highest level are sponsored, and those who are not tend to emulate those who are by shooting what they see on the podium. Not that Leupold, Vortex, NF, etc. are bad products, but they are the ones with sponsorships, deep pockets for advertising and marketing, certificates for discounts, and affiliations giving discounts to military, first responders, vets, etc.

On to the S3 6-36x56. It is a very nice scope. It will focus at or just under 10yds at full magnification. Mag adjustment is smooth, with a nice included throw lever, though rotation is opposite most US marketed scopes. Parallax is very touchy, not much depth of field forgiveness at 100yds or less. Red/green illumination is nice. The center of the reticle is the only part that is supposed to be illuminated, but the rest of the ret and numbers experience light bleeding. I don’t find the glass to have quite as good resolution and microcontrast as the Razor G3, but it’s not far behind. It is still excellent, and could easily look better to someone else’s eye. The turret clicks, dialing accuracy, and overall feel are outstanding. The S3 has a lot to like, and is gaining traction in PRS, ELR, and some rimfire disciplines. I would hesitate to pay full price- even though it is worth it in my opinion- as there have been sales up to 25% off since its introduction. Hope that helps. Ask away if I missed anything.

Some things to keep in mind about perceptions of popularity: Zeiss has a stronger European presence and following; they have a much longer pedigree of producing high quality hunting scopes under the Zeiss brand; in regard to FFP, competition type scopes, the S5 has only been available since late ‘22 and is arguably priced out of reach for most users, with some truly venerable and established competition at its price point; the S3 series has only really been available the last year; competitors at the highest level are sponsored, and those who are not tend to emulate those who are by shooting what they see on the podium. Not that Leupold, Vortex, NF, etc. are bad products, but they are the ones with sponsorships, deep pockets for advertising and marketing, certificates for discounts, and affiliations giving discounts to military, first responders, vets, etc.

On to the S3 6-36x56. It is a very nice scope. It will focus at or just under 10yds at full magnification. Mag adjustment is smooth, with a nice included throw lever, though rotation is opposite most US marketed scopes. Parallax is very touchy, not much depth of field forgiveness at 100yds or less. Red/green illumination is nice. The center of the reticle is the only part that is supposed to be illuminated, but the rest of the ret and numbers experience light bleeding. I don’t find the glass to have quite as good resolution and microcontrast as the Razor G3, but it’s not far behind. It is still excellent, and could easily look better to someone else’s eye. The turret clicks, dialing accuracy, and overall feel are outstanding. The S3 has a lot to like, and is gaining traction in PRS, ELR, and some rimfire disciplines. I would hesitate to pay full price- even though it is worth it in my opinion- as there have been sales up to 25% off since its introduction. Hope that helps. Ask away if I missed anything.
spot on with the scope review,the touchy parallax as tumbling calls it, is the biggest bugbear
constantly needs touched up as you change the magnification even a small amount.
also my one has the illumination light bleed to other parts of the reticle,not a deal breaker as i never use it.
overall prefer the nightforce shv,just a shame its not available in a finer reticle and mils