• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

ZAN .30 caliber PELLET Perfection?!

I just got mine yesterday, and haven't shot it yet. Here on this forum, and possibly this thread; someone posted a video in which the user stated that his didn't appear to be suitable for slugs. I haven't used the Zans. In fact I'd never heard of them. But if the lengths of slugs present a problem, I'd like to know these pellets fit before buying any...
The YouTuber was incorrect in his conclusion and has since released a video correcting that statement.

Reactions: DevilsLuck
I have the sidewinder in 30 cal. - First the magazine shoots slugs in 303 diameter, 30 will fall through. The sidewinder barrel will not hold a group over 50 yards with any of the current slugs out there.
The JSB Pellets in 44.75 are shooting the best. I have my scope zeroed from 30 yards out to 150 yards with the pellets. Shooting 960 FPS. = 91.6 FPE. Reg. set at 160.
I have tried slugs brands Zan, Patriot, High Arc & NSA. NSA is the best of the bunch for sure but the stock barrel doesn't really like the slugs.

Also Donny FL makes an adapter to add a aftermarket Moderator on the Sidewinder $60.00, You need to get the Ronin or emperor to quiet it down though, with the Ronin I added the extender also, dropped D.B by 10-12. Stopped the crack of the barrel but it adds 12 inches to length of PCP.
Palm Beach Air guns has a few Adapters left also as of 4/20/2023.

Reactions: 44_Magnum
I have the sidewinder in 30 cal. - First the magazine shoots slugs in 303 diameter, 30 will fall through. The sidewinder barrel will not hold a group over 50 yards with any of the current slugs out there.
The JSB Pellets in 44.75 are shooting the best. I have my scope zeroed from 30 yards out to 150 yards with the pellets. Shooting 960 FPS. = 91.6 FPE. Reg. set at 160.
I have tried slugs brands Zan, Patriot, High Arc & NSA. NSA is the best of the bunch for sure but the stock barrel doesn't really like the slugs.

Also Donny FL makes an adapter to add a aftermarket Moderator on the Sidewinder $60.00, You need to get the Ronin or emperor to quiet it down though, with the Ronin I added the extender also, dropped D.B by 10-12. Stopped the crack of the barrel but it adds 12 inches to length of PCP.
Palm Beach Air guns has a few Adapters left also as of 4/20/2023.
Just wait until you try out ZAN pellets 56 grains 😉

@ZAN My first outing with the 56gr
BR 100

20230506_160531.jpg
20230506_163200.jpg

Last edited:
I shot these today out of my AAA Evol Paradigm, factory settings, and they are right at 800fps, 80fpe. I ran the numbers through Strelok and it is very impressive even at this speed. This still gives 40fpe at 175y. It doesn't hurt that they are also the most accurate pellet that I have shot so far too. For comparison, the 50gr JSB pellet mv 840fps does 40fpe at 130y. I will be shooting the Zan 56gr pellets when I don't have to worry about pass-through or ricochet, and FX Hybrids when I do. The .30 ain't cheap, but it sure is fun shooting my hanging reactionary targets (out to 155y) but they are going to have to be upgraded as this round smacks the hell out of them. My targets are duraseal hanging from tree limbs by Paracord, they fly up and bounce all around when smacked. This looks a lot more dramatic than just shooting a fixed spinner and you can still hear the smack without annoying everyone in the county by shooting a frying pan or metal in general. Fun stuff!

I shot these today out of my AAA Evol Paradigm, factory settings, and they are right at 800fps, 80fpe. I ran the numbers through Strelok and it is very impressive even at this speed. This still gives 40fpe at 175y. It doesn't hurt that they are also the most accurate pellet that I have shot so far too. For comparison, the 50gr JSB pellet mv 840fps does 40fpe at 130y. I will be shooting the Zan 56gr pellets when I don't have to worry about pass-through or ricochet, and FX Hybrids when I do. The .30 ain't cheap, but it sure is fun shooting my hanging reactionary targets (out to 155y) but they are going to have to be upgraded as this round smacks the hell out of them. My targets are duraseal hanging from tree limbs by Paracord, they fly up and bounce all around when smacked. This looks a lot more dramatic than just shooting a fixed spinner and you can still hear the smack without annoying everyone in the county by shooting a frying pan or metal in general. Fun stuff!
I'm plugging numbers into my Strelok Pro app and getting the same results as those you are seeing (by plugging in a .065 bc with that 800 fps to get 40 pfe a 175 yards). What I found impressive is the less effect of crosswinds (10mph) if you increase the speed to just 850 and proportionate bc. Those ZAN slugs should be lasers if you increase the spring tension for some more speed. How many turns out are you running the spring tension on that Paradigm? I run my Evol 30 at 3.5 turns out, but with 2300 psi reg. pressure.

I'm plugging numbers into my Strelok Pro app and getting the same results as those you are seeing (by plugging in a .065 bc with that 800 fps to get 40 pfe a 175 yards). What I found impressive is the less effect of crosswinds (10mph) if you increase the speed to just 850 and proportionate bc. Those ZAN slugs should be lasers if you increase the spring tension for some more speed. How many turns out are you running the spring tension on that Paradigm? I run my Evol 30 at 3.5 turns out, but with 2300 psi reg. pressure.
I read that the bc is supposedly .06, that's what I used, my alt. is about 480' and the temp was about 70. My regulator is at right around 2000 psi. These settings seem correct because Strelok called the drop at 155y perfectly. I only shoot critters out to just over 100y, any further shooting is just for fun, so this setting is plenty powerful for me and I get more shots. I will eventually play with the reg setting but am in no rush. I did play around with the hammer spring adjustment and found that it didn't do very much at all. My hs seems to be a SSS because it's floating in there and only does anything under compression when cocked, not a bad thing. I did in fact turn it in, in steps, over 3 turns and it changed nothing. I found that weird but it is shooting to factory specs so I am not going to worry about it for now. I was shooting in a quarter value breeze between 3-8mph at 52 yards and the wind didn't seem to be pushing the pellets at all. I do hear what you are saying though, and I would prefer to be at 850, but I am going to run it stock for a while and see if I can live with it, because I can certainly live with the extra shot count.

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist